Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Overlap between GMATPrep and OG

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Overlap between GMATPrep and OG [#permalink] New post 23 May 2007, 08:10
I'm just beginning to study for the GMAT--I'm going to probably take it in mid-July. I've bought OG 11 and OG Purple, but I heard that the GMATPrep tests have overlap between the two. I'd like those scores to be indicative, so should I hold off on using OG and usinig Kaplan and PR first and do GMATPrep and OG last?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2007, 13:11
Kaplan doesn't even come close to OG. I would say that you should not worry about the overlap. There is some overlap, but you will be fine as long as you don't remember the answers to the questions, right?

I went through the OG before taking the second GMATPrep test, but in the second test, I still got exactly the score that I ended up getting in the real test too.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 07:17
According to the OG guide on the MBA website, they claim that

"There is no overlap between questions found in the Official Guide for GMAT® Review, 11th Edition, the Official Guide for GMAT® Quantitative Review, the Official Guide for GMAT® Verbal Review, and GMAT® Prep."

Is this true?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 07:41
I dont recall any questions being ones out of the OG when I did prep1. If you use any of the old paper tests there are some overlap because the questions from the OG are retired exam questions.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 09:10
On that note, does anyone know where to find explanations for the GMAT PowerPrep Practice Tests? I found a few questions in the OG, but some are not in there... Is it mostly trial and error and that point? ie- figure the answer out yourself by working backwards, etc?

Thanks all...

Cheers.. :)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 11:24
[quote="riverripper"]I dont recall any questions being ones out of the OG when I did prep1. If you use any of the old paper tests there are some overlap because the questions from the OG are retired exam questions.[/quote]

Do you know where i can find the old paper tests?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 11:33
GMATnewb wrote:
Do you know where i can find the old paper tests?

try esnips - many people have uploaded paper based tests on that web site.
If u dont get them I can upload them for you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 22:17
Well cant do much about the overlaps or common material. However what is important is the procedure. The scores will definitely be indicative, but if you want to assess, you can try more practice tests. You can refer to manya education site

they have online practice tests too

mNeo wrote:
Kaplan doesn't even come close to OG. I would say that you should not worry about the overlap. There is some overlap, but you will be fine as long as you don't remember the answers to the questions, right?

I went through the OG before taking the second GMATPrep test, but in the second test, I still got exactly the score that I ended up getting in the real test too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 13:01
i am taking a veritas course, and am disappointed that a good portion of their problems came ***directly*** from the OG. questions that did not come from the OG came ***directly*** from powerprep or gmatprep practice problems or actual CAT problems.

I don't really understand why this is... either veritas is stealing the questions or they purchased them from GMAC.

if they purchased them from GMAC it doesn't seem fair that they would publish them in their own OG; i mean it sort of goes without saying that anyone willing to pay over a grand for a prep course would shell out a couple of bucks to practice with official materials.

GRRRR!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 15:16
I could recognize several of the OG questions on GmatPrep. But they were mostly Verbal , hard bin questions. So YES there is an overlap. Be watchful of it.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2007, 20:42
I remember reading this as well before I prepped with GMATPrep and OG. I noticed no overlap.
  [#permalink] 24 Jun 2007, 20:42