Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Overwhelmed...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Overwhelmed... [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 16:55
I write the GMAT exactly a month from now, and have been preparing since early June. My scores are as follows...

June 3, 2011 GMATPrep 1 32Q 27V 500
July 6, 2011 GMATPrep 1 41Q 26V 560
July 10, 2011 MGMAT 1 35Q 32V 560
July 14, 2011 MGMAT 2 42Q 30V 590
July 17, 2011 GMATPrep 1 35Q 28V 540

I took the GMATPrep again today, as shown, and there were some repeats in the questions, but I hadn't really looked at the answers from previous attempts in that exam. I need at least a 550 to apply for my program of choice, but definitely want to get as high as possible. My time is limited, so I don't really know what I should do to raise my score the most. I've worked through the 8 MGMAT guides, and did all of the quant questions, but only most of the SC questions and none of the RC and CR questions. My reasoning for this, is that the questions vary so much for those categories and I'm not sure how to improve them really, especially with limited time. I know that I need to spend more time on quant as well, considering going through the guides and making a set of notes. Any suggestions anyone? I know many of you are much more experienced and may be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Overwhelmed... [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 04:50
Your scores are all over the place.

Are you running out of time?
Are you guessing often?
Are you keeping an error log?

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Overwhelmed... [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 05:00
I've been keeping an error log, but not while I'm doing the practice exams. I know that I was a bit distracted when I did this last one and got 540, but I've noticed that my quant and verbal scores jump around a lot. I've started with the number properties guide and I am going through everything again, hoping that will make a difference. I think that data sufficiency questions are my main weakness...
I haven't been running out of time, I've actually had a lot of extra time left. Not a lot of random guesses either, but I think there are some areas where I really need to improve.

Thanks!
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Overwhelmed... [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 05:17
From what you've told us, it appears you are lacking in concepts. If you're not running out of time and you're not guessing, your approach to problems is leading you to incorrect answers on 600+ and 650+ level questions in both sections. You need to use your error log for practice tests as well, as this is how you really gauge your progress to know if you're getting ahead or not.

When reviewing problems, don't simply read the explanation and say "ohhh, now I see it", figure out what goes on in your mind, why you're getting them wrong (not just how to get them right).

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Overwhelmed... [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 10:15
Just took the third MGMAT Test... 620 (43Q/32V), which is definitely a step in the right direction. I spend all day yesterday creating a set of index cards with all of the main concepts and things to remember from the MGMAT quant guides. I think they have helped me understand some of the concepts a little better, and will make a great guide for studying. I plan on doing the same for the verbal portion of the test as well...
I'm writing the GMAT on August 17, so I still have a while to study. I have practiced a lot of SC questions, but maybe need to work on practicing more CR and RC questions, although I am not sure how much it will help me. I still have the official guides (quant and verbal) that I haven't worked through, so maybe I should start working on those now... any suggestions?
Re: Overwhelmed...   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2011, 10:15