Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q163 V159
GPA: 3.67
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Overwhelmed by GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi infinite87,

I saw that you found the IR section to be intimidating. Is this still the case?

If so, feel free to see our beginner's guide to the IR section (https://econgm.at/iNwmwc). You'll learn a little bit more about how the section is structured, how it's scored, and ways you can approach IR.

Best of luck,

Jessica

infinite87 wrote:
Hello,

I have been studying, mainly math for about a month using the official guide. I did all of the questions in the problem solving and data sufficiency section thinking this is all there is to the quantitative section. I was proven wrong when I took some CAT tests, as there is much more material that needs to be covered. I am currently a little stuck, I am not sure what material to use to get all of the concepts of GMAT math. I have my test in three weeks but I am going to move it up another month since I am only getting 540 - 560 score and I need at least 600+.

I saw the section for problem solving and data sufficiency on the forum, it has so many questions that I am not sure which ones to do and which ones not. I want to practice all sections equally and maybe pay a little more attention to the ones I feel most intimidated by. My score in my last CAT test was 40 quantitative and 29 verbal. I want to move my quant score up to 50 and verbal around 35 - 40. I am using MGMAT SC book, not sure what to do about CR and RC. For Quantitative I am totally lost as to what I need to do, which questions to practice and how many.

Also the IR section is extremely intimidating and I am clueless to what to do there as well.

All replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi infinite87,

With your score goals, you're essentially aiming at a 700+ score. At THAT level, you would have to know more than just content - you have to know tactics, patterns, etc. that help make approaching the GMAT easier. The OG is a great book for practice problems, but it's not built to teach you how to score at a high level on the GMAT. To that end, doing lots of practice problems is part of the process, but you really need to learn to answer questions in more than one way. The best Test Takers tend to be "flexible" in their thinking, so that on Test Day you can choose how best to approach a given question from a variety of options.

Right now, you're essentially "self teaching" by using a series of books. Most Test Takers get stuck at a certain level by working in this way, so you might want to look into investing in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or Instructor-Led). In this way, you'll have consistent, professional advice guiding you, teaching you tactics, walking you through solutions, etc. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free resources (practice questions, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) so that you can "test out" a product before you buy it. Take advantage of all of these free options, then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot