Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 19:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

overwhelmingly frustrated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
overwhelmingly frustrated [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2004, 17:11
Hello guys,

Today I have taken my first exame since I started to prepare the GMAT.
From April to June in 2004, I took part in the so-called cramming school. And since then I found this website and started to accompany you. Up to now, I'm still stuck by the AT exam.

Preparing the GMAT test makes me very disappointed.
When preparing, I lose my confidence more and more with each passing day and have no courage to face, at least for me, the difficult exam. Every time I make an error in practice, my confidence lose little. One time I even appointed time to test but cancel it soon. As a non-native English speaker, I really did not know what to deal with the GMAT.

Today, my score is very poor, only 560.

:( now I feel overwhelmingly frustrated. I was born in 1978 and got more and more old year after year. I originally managed to apply school in 2005, but now there is no time. I have no choice and can only apply in 2006. But I still cannot overcome the test. I don't know whether I should keep going on or give up. Since I started to prepare, I have read the OG, and done many practice questions. Now I really don't know what to do in next step.

I know my weakness is in verbal, especially RC and CR. When reading CR questions, I always don't know what the author's intention or although know what the author said but I still choose the wrong answer. In RC, because I'm not a native English speaker, my reading speed is very slow. When reading with time pressure, I always feel very nervous. What in earth should I do?

Tonight, I'm overwhelmingly frustrated. My friends told me that I should give up. However, I think if I give up and say goodbye to you, there will be a pity in my whole life.

Friends, could you give me any suggestion or any courage in non-natvie english speaker's position. please.

Thank you.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2004, 18:58
Hi chunjuwu. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I know that you've been with the club for a while now and I see you posting many questions. However, I do not see you participate much in the discussions and I think you should. Voice your opinion and join verbal debates. By participating in discussions, you will see your learning curve increase. Do not worry if you get questions wrong. The most important thing is that you can explain you reasoning in your own words. To tell you the truth, there are many SC rules I did not know about before joining GMATclub (ie verb tenses, phrases vs clauses, ellipsis, run-on sentences, parenthetical elements) and I ended up learning so many concepts at this site: http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/index2.htm
I did not rely on ANY other grammar site and I considered the above site my own SC bible - seriously. Remember that the GMAT is a very painful process and it is crucial that you study it the right way. You cannot simply learn the question and move on because the given answer is A and you also chose A. You have to learn the concepts so as not to repeat the same errors again. For RC, I would suggest you to read the "very very scared of RC" in the "GMAT" forum.
In the end, remember that the GMAT is only the means to an end, not the end itself. If you do not get your dream score, it's not the end of the world. Yes, you may not be satisfied on a certain level but you may be even happier not having to go through this again(how many people have you neglected, how many activities have you sacrificed or how much mental/physical strain have you unduly put upon yourself?).
If you are to write the exam again, remember to study concepts and participate more often. Should you decide not to take the exam again do not be sad, friend, and think about things other than an MBA which will make you happy, and I'm sure there is :) .

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 17 Dec 2004, 18:58