Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Owen vs Tepper (same amount of $$)

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.35
WE:Analyst (Retail)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Owen vs Tepper (same amount of $$) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Lafayette88 wrote:
I went to Tepper's welcome weekend ( i had been to Owen's women's weekend ) - the two welcome weekends were the same weekend. The one stat that has really been bothering me about tepper is class size. Apparently the core classes all have 70 students and the electives can have as many as 30-50. This seems extremely high given its such a small program. Vandy has much smaller classes.

What that tells me is that the teaching methods are probably quite different in Tepper vs. Owne and warrants a bit more research with current students or adcom. I am not that familiar with either school, unfortunately but having browsed the list of classes and electives, I find it hard to believe that ALL classes would have that many people. There are simply not enough people to fill each class with 50-70 of them. I think more research is warranted.

As to your point, I understand the concern with large classes - I have had a chance to be a part of smaller ones and larger ones. My unhappiness with larger class would be ability to have a discussion or participate in a case or in general get personal attention. This is something I would want to research with the current students. It also feels more like the undergrad where you absorb and listen and are generally ignored which is not the feel you want paying $50K/year.

On the flip side, I would say that the class environment and feel really depend on the professor and how they structure a class. As one downside of small classes, I had know-it-alls dominate and really annoy the hell out of me by chatting with the teacher and getting warm and fuzzy, and really not able to shut up. The professor should have shut them down but since it was a small class, they did not. The bottom line is I don't think it is the end of the world to take accounting or micro-economics or marketing & sales class in a large setting - that's how the big schools with very strong professors do it, esp if you have a really strong professor who does not want to teach 4 or 5 separate SAME classes every single week. Also with smaller class size electives, getting a GOOD class becomes more challenging. That's my defense for larger class size BUT only if the professor is worth it. That's another big question.

Interesting fact/detail I found is that both schools have a fairly low men to women ratio - only 25-28% vs. 35%+ in many of the other programs.... kind of odd that way.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks for the votes I went with tepper
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Cool!!! Congrats and thank you for posting. You are leaving us hanging though a bit - any reason or anything in particular that made you choose Tepper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk App
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts