Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 23

Reviews Badge
Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 05:23
C
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 23

Reviews Badge
Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 05:39
Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has become a daily hang-out for more and more teenagers. Many of our adult customers do not appear comfortable with this kind of crowd and some of them have told me that they will no longer stop here for a coffee drink. Since my goal is to maximize our revenue, I want you to discourage teenagers from coming here and start cultivating a more adult crowd.

Store manager: Are you sure? On average, .

The store manager responds to the owner by _____

questioning the veracity of owner’s evidence -- Not true as store manager is not denying the fact provided by Owner- incorrect

arguing that it would be difficult to implement the owner’s directive -- nowhere it was mentioned- incorrect

offering new evidence implying that the status quo is not incompatible with the owner’s goal ---means: staus quo(teenagers are coming more) is compatible with owners goal( maximize revenue) as "each teenager spends just as much as the average adult does, and we have far more new customers than we have lost over the past year"....correct

demonstrating that the average teenage customer is as profitable as the average adult customer -- stimulus mentioned spending of teenagers .not the profit -- incorrect

offering new evidence refuting that presented by the owner -- on the contrary, store manager accepts the fact provided by owner and provided news evidence status quo to maimize revenue - incorrect
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 10:32
Definitely, C. The manager does offer new evidence and that evidence implies that the owner's goal can be reached with the current clientele.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 6

Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 13:09
good question....i fell for D....:(

after reading thru the explanation I do unedrstand that the OA is C
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 21:31
C

(A) questioning the veracity of owner’s evidence -->> No evidence about questioning the tuthfullness of owner
(B) arguing that it would be difficult to implement the owner’s directive -->> out of scope
(C) offering new evidence implying that the status quo is not incompatible with the owner’s goal -->> goal is to maximize revenue, Store manager shows evidence by saying "teenager spends just as much as the average adult does, and we have far more new customers than we have lost over the past year"
(D) demonstrating that the average teenage customer is as profitable as the average adult customer --->> no evidence of profit from teenager
(E) offering new evidence refuting that presented by the owner --> no such evidence
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 04:08
The answer is C.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 05:54
C :!: for me too

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 20

Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 06:04
hacker wrote:
Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has become a daily hang-out for more and more teenagers. Many of our adult customers do not appear comfortable with this kind of crowd and some of them have told me that they will no longer stop here for a coffee drink. Since my goal is to maximize our revenue, I want you to discourage teenagers from coming here and start cultivating a more adult crowd.

questioning the veracity of owner’s evidence -- Not true as store manager is not denying the fact provided by Owner- incorrect

arguing that it would be difficult to implement the owner’s directive -- nowhere it was mentioned- incorrect

offering new evidence implying that the status quo is not incompatible with the owner’s goal ---means: staus quo(teenagers are coming more) is compatible with owners goal( maximize revenue) as "each teenager spends just as much as the average adult does, and we have far more new customers than we have lost over the past year"....correct

demonstrating that the average teenage customer is as profitable as the average adult customer -- stimulus mentioned spending of teenagers .not the profit -- incorrect

offering new evidence refuting that presented by the owner -- on the contrary, store manager accepts the fact provided by owner and provided news evidence status quo to maimize revenue - incorrect

thanks wonderful explanation for C.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 06:51
As owner's goal is to maximize the profit and as per Store manager each teenager spends just as much as the average adult does, and there are more customers than they have lost. .......
I'll go with option "C" !
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consulting - 5 Years

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 09:33
hacker wrote:

Great explanation! I fell for D too, I believe that his is a question from one of the Manhattan CATs.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 21:58
+1 C

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 03:52
C for me too..

Although, 'not incompatible' has two negative but it fits in perfectly. Basically, the approach is compatible with the status quo (maximizing revenues).

Fight till you succeed like a gladiator..or doom your life which can be invincible

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 06:09
Option C is right because the store manager gives his evidence to show that the manager's requirement of profit is not negated by older people leaving. D only says what teenagers bring to the store and does not clarify the if the required benefit is attained which is the increase in profit.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 07:11
C for me....
Since the goal of the owner is to maximize the revenue, the store manager gives in new evidence that the present status of the cafe is in line with his goal....
Option A:He is not refuting or questioning the evidence.
so A is out.
Option B:There is no mention of the argument regarding the directive... B is out.
Option D:He isn't demonstrating but giving in new evidence... D is out
Option E: Owner is not refuting the evidence.. E is out...

:)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 06:47
C for me too.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 00:28
the goal is to maximize revenue.This goal is being met by the new changes though.

Rightly pointed by the store manager.

C it is.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2011, 07:09
I think its D

Kaustubh

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2011, 08:53
even i chose D first. but after reading the explanation i feel C is the best.

thanks a lot "hacker" for the explanation..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 04:17
At first i choose D, like many others it seems. However, if you have a closer look at C you see that it mentions the owners goal and his goal is to maximize his profits
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 4

Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 07:31
C seems correct to me too...as it implies that the existing situation is fine if owner is looking for more revenue.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2012, 07:31