Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 01:08
My Choice is .......D

As person give reason n explains the owner............. :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 14

Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 09:31
gmatnub wrote:
C sounds good at first, but if you read it carefully

offering new evidence implying that the status quo is not incompatible with the owner’s goal

"not incompatible" is a double negative that equals to "compatible"

offering new evidence implying that the status quo is compatible with the owner’s goal

"status quo" refers to adult customers.

+1 for C.

status quo - implies current situation.
The current scenario of tanagers is compatible with owners goal. (revenue / returns)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: CR---STORE MANAGER [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 18:21
Just overlooked the "in"compatible part. Now I get why C is correct. So the present situation is compatible with the owner's goal, which is maximum revenue.

But, I still don't get why D is wrong?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 36

Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 19:17
Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has become a daily hang-out for more and more teenagers. Many of our adult customers do not appear comfortable with this kind of crowd and some of them have told me that they will no longer stop here for a coffee drink. Since my goal is to maximize our revenue, I want you to discourage teenagers from coming here and start cultivating a more adult crowd.

Store manager: Are you sure? On average, each teenager spends just as much as the average adult does, and we have far more new customers than we have lost over the past year.

The store manager responds to the owner by _____

(A) questioning the veracity of owner’s evidence
(B) arguing that it would be difficult to implement the owner’s directive
(C) offering new evidence implying that the status quo is not incompatible with the owner’s goal
(D) demonstrating that the average teenage customer is as profitable as the average adult customer
(E) offering new evidence refuting that presented by the owner

I think C fits better in the blank than D.

It's not the D is wrong, but C is better.

D only says that the store manager demonstrated the new evidence but dismisses the point that the store manager agrees to increase the store revenue.

C actually includes the new evidence represented in D and the agreement with the owner's goal.

Luck is the additional surplus on the way to one's constant effort.

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 238 [2] , given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 19:37
This post received
KUDOS
Nope, choice D is a trick. The argument stated the amount of money spent by children is as much as that spent by adults => It is about the Revenue, not the profit as choice D stated (because we did not know anything about the cost).

Choice C is more clear double negate "not incompatible" = compatible the revenue of 2 groups of customers.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 19:45
tuanquang269 wrote:
Nope, choice D is a trick. The argument stated the amount of money spent by children is as much as that spent by adults => It is about the Revenue, not the profit as choice D stated (because we did not know anything about the cost).

Choice C is more clear double negate "not incompatible" = compatible the revenue of 2 groups of customers.

Wow, how did I miss that? Thanks tuanquang! +1 to you
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 07:33
shishirkum wrote:
bepositive wrote:
Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has become a daily hang-out for more and more teenagers. Many of our adult customers do not appear comfortable with this kind of crowd and some of them have told me that they will no longer stop here for a coffee drink. Since my goal is to maximize our revenue, I want you to discourage teenagers from coming here and start cultivating a more adult crowd.

Store manager: Are you sure? On average, each teenager spends just as much as the average adult does, and we have far more new customers than we have lost over the past year.

(C) offering new evidence implying that the status quo is not incompatible with the owner’s goal
(D) demonstrating that the average teenage customer is as profitable as the average adult customer

I just did not understand this question at all please explain me this one...thanks!

Well the main thing to understand here is that the Owner is talking about Revenue here in the Question Stem.

So D will be clearly wrong, as more revenue and more profit are completely different things. Hence, more revenue does not imply more profit.
As for C, well the store manager gave new evidence citing that status quo i.e. the current state of affairs agrees with the owner's goal (Of more revenue, since there are more new teenage customers coming then the old ones who are leaving)

Hence, C is correct.

PS: Like my approach? Please Help me with some Kudos. :-)

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [2] , given: 2

Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
a) store manager doesn't question any evindence by owner.
b) difficult to implement - Not mentioned
c) new evidence that teenagers spend as much as adults do - meeting with owner's goal - Best choice
d) profitability not mentioned
e) manager doesn't refute any evidence

Choice C is best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 27

Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 07:28
I chose C. My reasons:

Nonsensical. He never questioned the veracity of the owner's evidence.

Nope

He does say this. But that isn't really the conclusion.

He does offer new evidence. But I think this was less ideal than C

This is the best choice. He does exactly this. He tells the owner that if the whole point is to realize a profit, this method won't go be an obstacle. If anything, it will augment the profit.

petrifiedbutstanding

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.39

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 00:36
D doesn't state anything about new customers. E is close, but it didn't focus on the goal of owner.

C is correct. "offering new evidence implying that the status quo is compatible with the owner’s goal".

"Status quo" means present situation i.e. the evidences below.

Here, evidences are "each teenager spends just as much as the average adult does" and "we have far more new customers than we have lost over the past year" that are compatible with the owner's goal and these ultimately accentuate that the owner doesn't require to implement his idea to reach his goal.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 04:03
though i first selected e on second thoughts c seems right as store manager says that goal of owner to increase revenue and even with teenagers as customers it can be fulfilled and no special efforts are needed to
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 47

Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 06:06
bepositive wrote:

I just did not understand this question at all please explain me this one...thanks!

The STORE MANAGER says that what the owner proposes may not be right and that the OWNER will actually profit more by the present system... ie status quo......
HENCE "C" which defacto means....(C) offering new evidence implying that the status quo is compatible with the owner’s goal .... ie of GENERATION OF MORE REVENUE......... IS CORRECT...
Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has   [#permalink] 27 May 2014, 06:06