Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Schools:Oxford(R3), Cambridge(R4?)
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2009 applicants [#permalink]
Hi Gati,

Thanks for your kind words and congrats with your conquering Oxford app (and especially Essay No 2 :) )! Perhaps you won’t need any more apps to get your admit. And, honestly, I don’t know what to say about R4 for Cambridge: your demographics is working against you here, but they have a really interesting selection criteria and so may invite you if they like your file even instead of a person who may seem much more accomplished applicant to an outsider. But you need to make a decision fast: their deadline is only ten days away.

Anyways, good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Anyone From Said R2 Admits receive their packs(official offers) yet?

I am eagerly awaiting for mine but haven't seen anything in the mail yet.

-sumidi
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1029 [0]
Concentration: General
 Q50  V34
Send PM
one more to the batch of 2010 Oxford MBA...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Hi All,

gati wrote:
Hello there

I submitted my R3 Oxford application yesterday. First business school application in my life. First time, I wrote essays or anything on serious note :-) after my high school exams. To be honest, reviewing them again and again over two weeks was a tough job.
I salute to all active members (such as buffdaddy and greenoak) on the forum, who always try to keep the topic alive by helping others like me.
After 12 weeks on GMAT and 3 weeks of hectic evenings and weekends on Oxford R3 application, I really feel tired and dnt have enough determination to start on Cambridge R4 application from scratch, particularly considering my chances(Indian, IT/Telecom, 9 yrs exp in UK, Ireland, and India).
I dnt know why I am writing this post, maybe I just want to share my thoughts.

Cheers

Gati, well done and goodluck for submitting the Oxford app. I hope it goes well for you, although R3/R4 tend to be tough. But I've met a few students at Oxford who got an admit in the later rounds, so it is possible. I hope you keep contributing on the forum!

sumidi wrote:
Anyone From Said R2 Admits receive their packs(official offers) yet?

I am eagerly awaiting for mine but haven't seen anything in the mail yet.

-sumidi

Sumidi, I am waiting for the admit pack too, although I have managed to pay my deposit without the admit pack. I think the R1 guys had to wait 2 weeks to get theirs.

arjtryarjtry wrote:
one more to the batch of 2010 Oxford MBA...

arjtryarjtry, well done! I hope you join us in Oxford!

cheers,

buff
Current Student
Send PM
Hi all,

New to the forum. Admitted to Said. Wishing luck to all

Anyone from India for Said ?
Current Student
 Q50  V34
Send PM
aceone wrote:
Hi all,

New to the forum. Admitted to Said. Wishing luck to all

Anyone from India for Said ?

India.. sure... :-D
Current Student
 Q50  V34
Send PM
hey buffdaddy and greenoak... i look fwd to meeting u guys at Ox...
Current Student
 Q50  V34
Send PM
anyone from spain??? i started learning spanish for IE... and am sad if i cannot continue talking..
so anyone out here who will be coming to SAID?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hi Aceone and Arjtryarjtry,

It will be great to see you in Oxford!

Arjtryarjtry - so, you decided to go to Oxford, not to IE? I'm not from Spain (I studied Spanish in childhood myself but forgot everything except ¿Cómo te llamas? :) ) Perhaps, you should try Said Intranet forums - there were people prom spanish-speaking countries.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Hello there

Does any one know, what exactly to fill in activity column in section 6 'career overview' of Cambridge application form?

Thanks
Gati
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hi Gati,

I put there short job description - i.e., 'software development', 'strategy planning', 'sat twiddling my thumbs' (now, this is a bad example :wink:) ... Basically, you should let them understand what you did at your corresponding job. Sometimes this just mirrors the official job title, but I guess they included this field for the situations when the job title is too generic.

Good luck for Cambridge!
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Thanks v much Greenoak
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V35
Send PM
I am just wondering, any one else there applying in Cambridge R4?

Also have another question regarding Cambridge application. Section 9 and 12 have different questions with different word limts. Contrary to Oxford, word limit here is very less. Is it advisable to exceed the word limit set in application?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
For the folks accepted at Said, is anyone applying for the The Vodafone Foundation Oxford MBA Scholarship?

If so, how did you write the scholarship essay, "Candidates must submitt a 500-word essay on why they should be considered for the award".
This is really really difficult, even more so than the MBA essay. I mean I want to just say, I want & need money just like every other student in the course, but why me......this is hard!

-sumidi (scratching his head)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
gati wrote:
Section 9 and 12 have different questions with different word limts. Contrary to Oxford, word limit here is very less. Is it advisable to exceed the word limit set in application?

Hi Gati,

In short – no. I know that it is universally believed +/- 10% words is acceptable, but somebody told me that Oxbridge schools may penalise you for even extra 2-3 words (don’t know how true it was). Of course, they won’t stop reading your essay and may as well send you an invite – but it’s better not to risk and keep the word count within the limit. Besides, setting so small a limit was certainly done intentionally: they perhaps want to check your ability to laconically express your thoughts and ideas.
sumidi wrote:
This is really really difficult, even more so than the MBA essay. I mean I want to just say, I want & need money just like every other student in the course, but why me......this is hard!

Hi Sumidi,

I haven’t applied for this scholarship myself, but I'd suggest that you stick to the generic scholarship-essay scheme here (works good if in doubt). In short, you should pay attention to what qualities they seek in an applicant - in this case, it’s a proven interest in technology - and write your essay aiming to persuade them that you indeed possess these qualities. In other words, it’s a version of background/goals essay, only with the focus shifted to your interest in technology and your achievements in this field. The ‘I’m so poor, I need some money please’- theme may be present, but only as brief mentioning, and definitely not as the main idea.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
greenoak wrote:
gati wrote:
Section 9 and 12 have different questions with different word limts. Contrary to Oxford, word limit here is very less. Is it advisable to exceed the word limit set in application?

Hi Gati,

In short – no. I know that it is universally believed +/- 10% words is acceptable, but somebody told me that Oxbridge schools may penalise you for even extra 2-3 words (don’t know how true it was). Of course, they won’t stop reading your essay and may as well send you an invite – but it’s better not to risk and keep the word count within the limit. Besides, setting so small a limit was certainly done intentionally: they perhaps want to check your ability to laconically express your thoughts and ideas.

For Cambridge, I think you can't exceed their word limit even if you want, because they have some weird application form. Basicly, it is Word document but such formated that you cannot enter a single word above the limit in the answer space. Try on your own, you can download that form on their site.

I wrote my essays in the regular Word document and when I tried to copy them in the app form, I managed to copy just 400 words, not a single one more. Furthermore, it can count the space between the words - if you have double-space between two words somewhere, it will erase your last word. So, it is very easy - you have extremely strict limit: 400 words + 399 space in between. That's it.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Hello pathfinder

You may be right for section 12 -- essays section. But in section 9A, I can type more than the limt of 300 words. And in section 11, form doesn't let me type more than 72 words, though limit was set to 100. I must say wierd application :-)

Any way, I would take safer approach, and won't exceed a word beyond the limit, even if I am allowed to type :-)

BTW, are you going to join Cambridge?

Cheers
Gati
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30