Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxbridge 2011 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Cambridge/Judge '11
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 23:43
at JBS the consulting project takes up about 3 weeks in spring, and the summer activities can include an internship. I hope to find an internship which could be prolonged until the fall, or perhaps until the end of the year after the program ends.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 08:30
Its great to be a part of this thread. Sat for GMAT just two days back, & now registering for IELTS.

I am applying in R1.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 11:43
Hi Guys, I hope you have gone through the application essays for SBS.

1) Explain why you chose your current job. How do you hope to see your career developing over the next five years? How will an MBA assist you in the development of these ambitions? Maximum 1,000 words
2) Which recent development, world event or book has most influenced your thinking and why? Maximum 2,000 words.

Have you guys started working on these??

[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 01:34
Guys,

Couple of questions here.

1) What does this Average college membership fees mean? Why do they mention it separately in the Financial breakdown section?

2) And in of the SBS pages where it mentioned a few college names and was asking us to pick the college. Its a bit confusing? What are these colleges?

http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/degrees/mba/Pages/college.aspx

Thanks in advance folks.....
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Oxford '11
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [5] , given: 11

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 15:10
This post received
KUDOS
Acer,

The college system is indeed a bit complicated and you can find more detail here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/colleges/the_colleg ... index.html

Basically, the college is just a place where students eat, sleep (unless you decide to live off campus - FYI - If you decide to live off campus you still pay the college fee, but you pay for your housing/food seperately.), socialize, and which has some administrative authority like degree granting... nothing you need to worry about at this point. You might think Harry Potter here, if you're familiar with the reference (Hogwarts = Oxford; Slytherin/Hufflepuff/Gryffendor/Ravenclaw = your college). In Harry Potter there are four 'colleges', whereas there are nearly 40 at Oxford. Among the most famous at Oxford are Christ Church, Magdalen (pron. Mawdlen), and Balliol.

Specific to your question, your costs for Oxford will look something like this (with SBS costs separated from college costs because they are two different entities with different staff, costs, endowments, etc):
* Said Business School - 33000 GBP if I recall correctly (EDIT - I see 2011/12 costs are now 36300 GBP... still a bargain compaired with what you'd pay at top US schools)
* Your Specific College - about 3300 GBP (some colleges cost more, some less... this is what they mean by average)
* Food/Housing - Maybe around 13000? GBP
* And then anything else you'll need (Computer, Tux, plane tickets, etc)

As for your second question - pick two colleges (most desired followed by a backup) and have reasons for why you chose them specifically. In my interview I was asked why I chose them. But keep in mind that you will have the ability to change your college choice once you are admitted, so the choice is not as important at this point as is your reason for your choice.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited by jon82 on 07 Sep 2010, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 19:16
jon82 wrote:
Acer,

The college system is indeed a bit complicated and you can find more detail here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/colleges/the_colleg ... index.html

Basically, the college is just a place where students eat, sleep (unless you decide to live off campus - FYI - If you decide to live off campus you still pay the college fee, but you pay for your housing/food seperately.), socialize, and which has some administrative authority like degree granting... nothing you need to worry about at this point. You might think Harry Potter here, if you're familiar with the reference (Hogwarts = Oxford; Slytherin/Hufflepuff/Gryffendor/Ravenclaw = your college). In Harry Potter there are four 'colleges', whereas there are nearly 40 at Oxford. Among the most famous at Oxford are Christ Church, Magdalen (pron. Mawdlen), and Balliol.

Specific to your question, your costs for Oxford will look something like this (with SBS costs separated from college costs because they are two different entities with different staff, costs, endowments, etc):
* Said Business School - 33000 GBP if I recall correctly
* Your Specific College - about 3000 GBP (some colleges cost more, some less... this is what they mean by average)

As for your second question - pick two colleges (most desired followed by a backup) and have reasons for why you chose them specifically. In my interview I was asked why I chose them. But keep in mind that you will have the ability to change your college choice once you are admitted, so the choice is not as important at this point as is your reason for your choice.

Thanks for the input! +1 :)

I Can, I Will

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 21:06
jon82 wrote:
Acer,

* Said Business School - 33000 GBP if I recall correctly
* Your Specific College - about 3000 GBP (some colleges cost more, some less... this is what they mean by average)

Nice explanation Jon +1 from my side too.

And any advice how do we choose between different colleges? While cost, distance can be couple of factors, can you please suggest us any other pointers on how to choose between these colleges?

Thanks in advance.
Official Business School Representative
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 22:12
Just a reminder that the Cambridge MBA essay questions can be found at
http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/mba/apply/submitting.html

The online application form will be go live soon so please check the website regularly.
Retired Moderator

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 23:39
CambridgeMBA wrote:
Just a reminder that the Cambridge MBA essay questions can be found at
http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/mba/apply/submitting.html

The online application form will be go live soon so please check the website regularly.

Thanks for the update!

I Can, I Will

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 11

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
Acer,

Colleges offer many of the same services, including lodging, food, chapel, MCR, social activities, sports, etc. but these often vary widely; so you should research and choose based on the things which are important to you. For instance, Queen's college doesn't offer accomodation, Magdalen offers only one place for an MBA (but gives a full room/board scholarship for that individual), some colleges have great food (Corpus Christi?), some have decent food at a great price, some have 500 year old rooms (that is often more of a minus than a plus), some have newly renovated rooms (Exeter - site of fictional Jordan College in The Golden Compass), some have scholarships for books and travel (Jesus College), some have huge endowments (St John's - which owns the Eagle and Child Pub, the site of meetings between Oxford's CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien and other writers), some are located close to the SBS building (Worchester) while others are far away (St Catherine's), some colleges are small, big, pastoral, or reputed to be lively, or quiet, some have great sports teams (the New College rowing team won an olympic gold medal) while others have small teams and you might have a better chance of landing on their varsity squad, some are tourist attractions (Christ Church - which has its own cathedral and was used in filming of Harry Potter), some have famous grads (Bill Clinton - University College, Adam Smith - Balliol College, Lawrence of Arabia, Benezir Bhutto, Stephen Hawking, Andrew Lloyd Weber, John Locke, Kings, Saints, Popes, Nobel Prize winners, etc), some are predominantly for older graduates with families, or have great grad housing (Brasenose has grad housing right across from SBS), or focus on the MBA community (Green Templeton), etc etc...

When you get a job, your employer likley won't care which college you went to (your CV will say Oxford MBA), so research and choose based on what is important for you and your experience.

Here are a couple links to get you started:
http://push.co.uk/Uni-profiles/s.htm (scroll through for Oxford)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleges_o ... _of_Oxford
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
Is the application for 2011 for Oxford available online yet?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 5

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 07:53
This post received
KUDOS
shaselai wrote:
is 2.92 too low for Said? does the school view gpa at top of the list?

i would say they focus more on your overall profile and the reason why you want to do an mba. there's no real hard cut off for anything - gpa, gmat, yrs of work experience, etc.

MYCambridge wrote:
How does Oxbridge compare to T16 US programs like Cornell or Yale in terms of chances of getting into IB in HK?
Does anyone have any idea?

i'd say it does well for IB in HK. you have to understand the oxford brand name is huge in HK, being british occupied and all. i'd say maybe yale can rival its brand name, but not cornell.

now regarding getting into IB without a summer internship...i'd say it's possible but you'll have to work hard and network like crazy. also depends on if you have any relevant background.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 11

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
Dr Satisfaction,

I agree that the Oxford brand is huge in Asia. One point - Cornell is actually pretty well known in Greater China... three term Taiwanese president Lee went to Cornell, which bolstered the school's reputation considerably. I would bet many in HK would value this degree highly.

J
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 07:54
Hi everyone,

Applications for both Cambridge and Oxford are now open:

http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/degrees/mba/Pages/process.aspx

http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/mba/apply/index.html

Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 09:18
There seems to be a discrepancy in the essays posted at http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/mba/apply/completing.html and the essays mentioned in the online application. Does any one know the exact set of the essays.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 27

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 10:06
This post received
KUDOS
Does anybody know anything about Oxford's reputation in social entrepreneurship, CSR, or renewable energy firms? Any help appreciated.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 5

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 20:11
This post received
KUDOS
skahuh wrote:
Does anybody know anything about Oxford's reputation in social entrepreneurship, CSR, or renewable energy firms? Any help appreciated.

not sure about the other 2, but oxford is extremely strong in social entrepreneurship from what i understand. one of the top outside of the US, if not the top.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 27

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 20:53
This post received
KUDOS
DrSatisfaction wrote:
not sure about the other 2, but oxford is extremely strong in social entrepreneurship from what i understand. one of the top outside of the US, if not the top.

I've heard and read the same and the Skoll scholarship sounds great. I'm seriously considering adding Oxford to my list...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 3

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 22:10
This post received
KUDOS
acer2knight wrote:
There seems to be a discrepancy in the essays posted at http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/mba/apply/completing.html and the essays mentioned in the online application. Does any one know the exact set of the essays.

Strange.
I have some problems logging in. Can you please post the essay topics mentioned in the application.

Thanks
KC
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 22:22
chaitu69 wrote:
acer2knight wrote:

Strange.
I have some problems logging in. Can you please post the essay topics mentioned in the application.

Thanks
KC

This is the mail that I sent across :

I am not able to login with my Cambridge login id and password. I tried to create another id on the online application page but it doesn't allow me to create one. The problem is that in case of Date Of Birth, DD, as in Date, is also set a similar limit of 1-12 as it is set for Month, so it doesn't accept any date beyond 12 as the date of birth. This check should be changed to 1-31 in case of date.

Essays mentioned here http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/mba/apply/completing.html seems to be different from the essays mentioned in the online application page. Please confirm the right set.

And my friend was able to login and these are essays mentioned in the application :

What are the key issues facing organisations in your sector over the next three years? What course of action would you recommend to such organisations? (up to 300 words)

What did you learn from your most spectacular failure? (up to 200 words)

Please provide a personal statement. It should not exceed 500 words and must include the following: *
What are your short and long term career objectives?
What skills/characteristics do you already have that will help you to achieve them?
What do you hope to gain from the degree programme and how do you feel it will help you achieve the career objectives you have?
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2010, 22:22