Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS R1; Oxford R1; INSEAD
 Q35  V42 GMAT 2: 690  Q48  V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink]
cpandya14 wrote:
Despite all the not so good signs so far.. I am certain that SBS would be in Top 10 of world consistently within next 5-10 years. I would rather brag about being someone who contributed for the school to come out of teens into the single digit than go to a single digit ranked school.

Contrary to belief, Oxford placement are really good and average salary of > £60k is not an easy thing to achieve.. I am from the UK and I know how difficult it is to get >£60k salary coming out of a course.

But again, it depends entirely how you see school fit your needs (now and in future)... Social Entrepreneurship is big at Oxford and for me thats a big plus.

I have been to SBS recently (including for interview) and mood within current students is really upbeat. And then, there is new dean to look forward to in 2011. Things are about to take a better turn and I can feel it. A school only 14 year old is placing students in best IBs, Consulting Co.s and still very highly ranked in Soc Ent.... I think this is a dark horse certainly to watch out for.

PS: As an admit my views are likely to be biased but atleast I am being honest and writing my thoughts as they are..

Not as gung ho about it as you are, but I agree that Said (and Judge as well) are up and coming programs. Would really be great to be a part of something like that. I don't think it will ever approach the top 10 internationally, especially being a 1-year program, but I do believe it'll continue to grow in its credibility and reputation. I really don't think you can go wrong with having the brand name on your resume either.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General
Schools:SBS, JBS(ding w/o interview), HEC
 Q48  V35
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: SCI-12 yrs
Send PM
Guys, Can you help me out here?

My original transcripts which I submitted after my interview, are with SBS. How to get it back? I have mailed Darren(ad. coordinator) but yet to receive any reply from him.

Any suggestions.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
For those who seem a little underwhelmed despite getting an offer from Said, would you have preferred being accepted at Cambridge instead (assuming you didn't unfortunately get accepted) ?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 19
Schools:Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
 Q46  V41
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Send PM
Got an interview invite from Cambridge today :-D

Anybody else heard anything from Cambridge for R2?

Some questions:

- I'm planning to travel with my mother, but not sure if I can indicate her as my "partner" - any suggestions from anybody who has been to one of these interview days? And what do the non-interviewees do during the day - do they go to all the same activities?

- They indicate smart casual as the attire - my understanding is that this is about equivalent to business casual; does that sound accurate?

- Any suggestions on how to prepare, what to bring, etc., for the interview? And for the trip?

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear. Hope to meet some of you next month!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
BigRedEnvEng wrote:
- I'm planning to travel with my mother, but not sure if I can indicate her as my "partner" - any suggestions from anybody who has been to one of these interview days? And what do the non-interviewees do during the day - do they go to all the same activities?

- They indicate smart casual as the attire - my understanding is that this is about equivalent to business casual; does that sound accurate?

- Any suggestions on how to prepare, what to bring, etc., for the interview? And for the trip?

Congratulations on your invite! :)
As far as I know you can bring your mother. They should arrange a tour around Cambridge, but that's all I know. I can't remember a smart casual dress code - last year I think it was business casual. I'm sure a suit cannot be a wrong choice.

Regarding on what to bring, I don't think you need anything specific, unless you need to give originals of your degree diplomas or GMAT score. The interview can be either a breeze or a tough one - depending on your interviewer. I had the latter. ;) Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
chrsrook wrote:
For those who seem a little underwhelmed despite getting an offer from Said, would you have preferred being accepted at Cambridge instead (assuming you didn't unfortunately get accepted) ?

I would prefer Cambridge over Oxford. I didn't apply to either though. Both of them are overrated and I would prefer to go to Cranfield over these two but not over LBS :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cpandya14 wrote:
Despite all the not so good signs so far.. I am certain that SBS would be in Top 10 of world consistently within next 5-10 years. I would rather brag about being someone who contributed for the school to come out of teens into the single digit than go to a single digit ranked school.

Contrary to belief, Oxford placement are really good and average salary of > £60k is not an easy thing to achieve.. I am from the UK and I know how difficult it is to get >£60k salary coming out of a course.

But again, it depends entirely how you see school fit your needs (now and in future)... Social Entrepreneurship is big at Oxford and for me thats a big plus.

I have been to SBS recently (including for interview) and mood within current students is really upbeat. And then, there is new dean to look forward to in 2011. Things are about to take a better turn and I can feel it. A school only 14 year old is placing students in best IBs, Consulting Co.s and still very highly ranked in Soc Ent.... I think this is a dark horse certainly to watch out for.

PS: As an admit my views are likely to be biased but atleast I am being honest and writing my thoughts as they are..

Oh yeah! And you wait patiently for INSEAD to offer. I bet you'd select INSEAD or LBS over Said any given day.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:INSEAD Class of J'12
Send PM
gaga wrote:

Oh yeah! And you wait patiently for INSEAD to offer. I bet you'd select INSEAD or LBS over Said any given day.

Very True. As someone from the UK, the only "disadvantage" I see with SBS is that I would not gain living exposure to another country; which INSEAD can provide me.

I would pick INSEAD than SBS than LBS in that order but I think that bridge only needs to be crossed once one has an offer from all the three. LBS last due to higher investment cost (2 yrs as opposed to one) and unrealistic living costs (again for 2 years instead of 1). Oxford is a cheaper place to live in comparison and also still not very far from London!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I have 2 questions -

1. I have not given IELTS/TOEFL and the next available date for these exams is 15th Jan.
As written on IELTS/TOEFL websites, scores come after 2 weeks. do you guys think SBS would consider me for R2 (deadline 14 Jan). they will receive my scores around 27-28 Jan.

2. i have 3 years of experience, would that be a hinderance for SBS R2 or Judge R3.

thanks so very much
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Concentration: M&A
Schools:UVA Darden (R1), Cornell Johnson (R1), Yale SOM (R1), Oxford Said (R2)
WE 1: 5 Yrs Mgmt Consulting
Send PM
A couple of quick questions from a US applicant here:
1. How stringent is the GPA requirement? I ask as an applicant with a 3.35 GPA, while I understand the interest this is very different from the US schools I have applied to. I will have 6 years of MC experience and an undergrad in business from a Big Ten school.
2. I have been accepted to Darden and Cornell and am weighing the Oxford program as a viable option to cut a year off of the education (year's salary). I will most likely be heading back to my consultancy and they will foot the bill. How does Darden compare with Oxford? I feel like Darden is a tight network and probably more sound program, but Oxford's name is unparalleled. . .thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Concentration: M&A
Schools:UVA Darden (R1), Cornell Johnson (R1), Yale SOM (R1), Oxford Said (R2)
WE 1: 5 Yrs Mgmt Consulting
Send PM
Oh and as an addendum, I'm a US citizen out of NY.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,
I am applying to Cambridge R3 and Oxford R2. My understanding of the application instructions is that both the schools do not require the candidate to send any physical documents during the application stage. The transcripts and recos are also uploaded online. Can any of the previous round applicants confirm this. With the current round application deadlines looming ahead, I do not want to miss out on this round.

My profile: M/28/India/730 GMAT/ 5+ years experience in consumer products industry.

Regards,
Applicant 2011
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:SBS
GMAT 2: 720
Send PM
romain wrote:
Hi,

I have 2 questions -

1. I have not given IELTS/TOEFL and the next available date for these exams is 15th Jan.
As written on IELTS/TOEFL websites, scores come after 2 weeks. do you guys think SBS would consider me for R2 (deadline 14 Jan). they will receive my scores around 27-28 Jan.

2. i have 3 years of experience, would that be a hinderance for SBS R2 or Judge R3.

thanks so very much

Hi romain
I'd suggest writing to the Adcom and explaining the situation. I faced a similar problem with my TOEFL and explained the situation to the Adcom and they accomodated my request (they had an internal cut-off date and said that if I could get the results by then, my application would be considered in R1. My result came in time and they did consider my app for R1)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:SBS
GMAT 2: 720
Send PM
Yup, dont worry- at the initial stage only scanned documents would do.

Applicant2011 wrote:
Hi all,
I am applying to Cambridge R3 and Oxford R2. My understanding of the application instructions is that both the schools do not require the candidate to send any physical documents during the application stage. The transcripts and recos are also uploaded online. Can any of the previous round applicants confirm this. With the current round application deadlines looming ahead, I do not want to miss out on this round.

My profile: M/28/India/730 GMAT/ 5+ years experience in consumer products industry.

Regards,
Applicant 2011
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
cpandya14 wrote:
gaga wrote:

Very True. As someone from the UK, the only "disadvantage" I see with SBS is that I would not gain living exposure to another country; which INSEAD can provide me.

I would pick INSEAD than SBS than LBS in that order but I think that bridge only needs to be crossed once one has an offer from all the three. LBS last due to higher investment cost (2 yrs as opposed to one) and unrealistic living costs (again for 2 years instead of 1). Oxford is a cheaper place to live in comparison and also still not very far from London!

I'd choose both SBS and Insead over LBS actually. for some reason LBS hasn't seemed very attractive to me. Please put me in for R2 Said.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I am in the middle of applying to Cambridge R3 and was wondering if anyone know the exact time as to when the deadline is? It doesn't say on Cambridge website. I know it' Jan 10th but is it 17:00 UK time?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Steven
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
Steven

It is 1700 on 10th Jan UK time. Good luck and I look forward to reading your application soon.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge Judge Business School
@CambridgeMBA
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  28