Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate (June 2011)
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Private Equity
Schools:Cambridge - Dinged, Oxford - Admitted, Cranfield - Admitted
 Q42  V40
WE 1: 1 year Operations @ top Nigerian Bank
WE 2: 2 years Portfolio Manager at Investment Banking Boutique
WE 3: At generalist private equity fund since September 2009
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:INSEAD Class of J'12
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Does anyone know what questions are asked to recommenders by Oxford? I would like to avoid discussing those points on my part and concentrate on other supplementary aspects if some details are covered by recommenders already? Any help is much appreciated!
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
cpandy

I can't comment on Oxford's recommendation form, but at Cambridge, we ask for two references, one a supervisor and the other a peer. The recommenders have to rank candidates on the following factors :-
i. integrity
ii. Ability to work with others
iii. Creativity
iv. Motivation
v. Self-confidence
vi. Analytical Skills
vii. Written Communication Skills
viii. Oral Communication skills
ix. Leadership potential
x. Responsbility for Own Action
xi. Quant numerical skills

Recommenders then have to elaborate or provide concrete examples in any quality that they had rated below average, outstanding or exceptional.
They also describe what they like most and least about the candidate, any particular weaknesses of the candidate when working with supervisors and peers, and what will the candidate be doing in 10 years' time.

The bottomline is that we want to get a better idea of the candidate in the workplace, and how he or she works in groups. At Cambridge, we feel very strongly that collaborative leadership will be the most effective form of leadership as the world becomes more networked so it is very important to find candidates who display such qualities in their workplace.

Conrad Chua
Head Cambridge MBA Admissions
Follow me on Twitter @CambridgeMBA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Schools:INSEAD Class of J'12
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks Conrad. That is very helpful. :-D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys, Is a photograph of the candidate required in Oxbridge online applications?? If yes, then which section has this uploading option?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Conrad,

My recommenders are not clear about the "peer group" and "size of peer group". They are business clients and can compare me with very broad and general (all young executives i have ever known, 1000s of those) or very narrow and specific peer groups (all vendors i work with in a year, 24).

Can you please provide some guidance on this?

Thanks!

CambridgeMBA wrote:
cpandy

I can't comment on Oxford's recommendation form, but at Cambridge, we ask for two references, one a supervisor and the other a peer. The recommenders have to rank candidates on the following factors :-
i. integrity
ii. Ability to work with others
iii. Creativity
iv. Motivation
v. Self-confidence
vi. Analytical Skills
vii. Written Communication Skills
viii. Oral Communication skills
ix. Leadership potential
x. Responsbility for Own Action
xi. Quant numerical skills

Recommenders then have to elaborate or provide concrete examples in any quality that they had rated below average, outstanding or exceptional.
They also describe what they like most and least about the candidate, any particular weaknesses of the candidate when working with supervisors and peers, and what will the candidate be doing in 10 years' time.

The bottomline is that we want to get a better idea of the candidate in the workplace, and how he or she works in groups. At Cambridge, we feel very strongly that collaborative leadership will be the most effective form of leadership as the world becomes more networked so it is very important to find candidates who display such qualities in their workplace.

Conrad Chua
Head Cambridge MBA Admissions
Follow me on Twitter @CambridgeMBA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneuship- Sustainable Manufacturing
Schools:Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
 Q43  V27 GMAT 2: 700  Q45  V41
GPA: 2.1
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Send PM
Kudos
Will apply to Oxford and Cambridge in R2.
By the way, any idea about Cranfield SOM and Manchester Business School?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
a11c99 wrote:
Hi, I participated at a Preview Day at Cranfield, applied to and was accepted with scholarship.
I think they have a very strong academic program, centered on case studies/debates and leadership development. Also they have an amazing effective career service, with strong connections in industry - maybe less in consulting and financial services; they might lack the "wow" factor of the brand of other MBA programs and the breath of alumni network it relative limited.

Thanks. that info is helpful. am planning on keeping Cranfield in the safety net. its ranked amongst the top 20 B-Schools globally.Moreover, there is no application fee.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Here is my profile:
27 years/Female/ Indian
Undergrad: Engineering, India
1 year Long Distance executive program done from IIMC
Total Work Ex: 5+ years (IT Sector)
International Work Ex: 2 months (US)
GMAT: 650 (q48,v31)
low gpa

What are my chances of Oxbridge ? :arrow:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
a11c99 wrote:
Hi, I participated at a Preview Day at Cranfield, applied to and was accepted with scholarship.
I think they have a very strong academic program, centered on case studies/debates and leadership development. Also they have an amazing effective career service, with strong connections in industry - maybe less in consulting and financial services; they might lack the "wow" factor of the brand of other MBA programs and the breath of alumni network it relative limited.

Could you kindly give me an idea of your profile. I am open to joining Cranfield, especially if it comes with scholarship. Sine you were admitted to Cranfield your profile wiould give me a rough idea on the kind of students who get admitted in Cranfield
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Oxford'11
Send PM
Kudos
shekharvineet wrote:
Could you kindly give me an idea of your profile. I am open to joining Cranfield, especially if it comes with scholarship. Sine you were admitted to Cranfield your profile wiould give me a rough idea on the kind of students who get admitted in Cranfield

Here is my small profile: 2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475-140.html#p692426
Please let's keep here the discussion only about Cambridge and Oxford - on which I'm happy to help - and to transfer all Cranfield-related questions to a Cranfield'11 stream. Thanks! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
a11c99 wrote:
shekharvineet wrote:

Here is my small profile: 2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475-140.html#p692426
Please let's keep here the discussion only about Cambridge and Oxford - on which I'm happy to help - and to transfer all Cranfield-related questions to a Cranfield'11 stream. Thanks! :)

Thanks. I really appreciate it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Well that's round 1 closed for both, got both my applications in. Good luck to anyone else who's applied this round.

SF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi...just had a question regarding interview decisions for Said and Judge. As per the schedule for the 1st round, the interview decisions are to come out on Oct 29th of Said while the interview dates for Cambridge is Nov 5th and 8th. Does it then mean that the interview decision for all R1 applicants will be made available on those date - not before or after?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
chrsrook wrote:
Hi...just had a question regarding interview decisions for Said and Judge. As per the schedule for the 1st round, the interview decisions are to come out on Oct 29th of Said while the interview dates for Cambridge is Nov 5th and 8th. Does it then mean that the interview decision for all R1 applicants will be made available on those date - not before or after?

Thanks

I'm not sure but I think last year each of the published Oxford dates was the day everyone heard but the wording suggests you may be contacted sooner. I guess that Cambridge will contact people at the latest by a similar date as they only have the two interview dates in early Nov and people are going to need to arrange travel etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
SeniorFlunky wrote:
chrsrook wrote:

Thanks

I'm not sure but I think last year each of the published Oxford dates was the day everyone heard but the wording suggests you may be contacted sooner. I guess that Cambridge will contact people at the latest by a similar date as they only have the two interview dates in early Nov and people are going to need to arrange travel etc.

I got an email confirmation from Oxford letting me know that all my documents have been filed and complete and that they'd get back to me soon after the deadline date of 29th October. So sounds like the deadline date is the start of the announcements.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:INSEAD- WL, IE - Apr 2011
Send PM
Kudos
Has anyone received any application completeness mail from Cambridge?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
hsourabh wrote:
Has anyone received any application completeness mail from Cambridge?

I got the below mail

"Thank you for your interest in the Cambridge MBA programme. This e-mail is an acknowledgement of the successful receipt of your application. We appreciate the time and effort that you have invested in your application and we will review it and inform you of our decision as soon as possible after the respective deadline date, as posted on our website."

However I'm not sure what deadline date is. Nov 5 is mentioned as the interview date. When will we get notified about interview? Any Idea?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  28