Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxbridge 2011 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD- WL, IE - Apr 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
Has anyone received any application completeness mail from Cambridge?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 19:54
This post received
KUDOS
hsourabh wrote:
Has anyone received any application completeness mail from Cambridge?

I got the below mail

"Thank you for your interest in the Cambridge MBA programme. This e-mail is an acknowledgement of the successful receipt of your application. We appreciate the time and effort that you have invested in your application and we will review it and inform you of our decision as soon as possible after the respective deadline date, as posted on our website."

However I'm not sure what deadline date is. Nov 5 is mentioned as the interview date. When will we get notified about interview? Any Idea?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cambridge/Judge '11
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
I think last year we got the information about 3 weeks after submission deadline. In any case it was about 2-3 weeks before interview date.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 06:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi
I have a question regarding the experience required. On said's as well Cambridge's website it is stated that the ave exp is 6+ years.My exp will be 3 years in Aug 2011.So my question is whether a low work ex will hamper my chances ( will have to drop the idea of applying if dont have enough chance since am on a bit of a budget ). My general profile is

BTech IT from India ( yeah another software engineer from India)
working as Associate Software Engineer since Aug 2008 at IBM India labs
6 months internship during my studies (final semester)
GMAT : 750 (Q50 v40 ) AWA 6

Also how does Oxbridge measures the work exp. I mean afriend of mine said that Oxbridge ( or rather most European univ) consider relevant exp upto the point when one fills the form and not when one joins ( i.e. July 2011).

Any reply would be appreciated. It would help me immensely in selecting my schools.

regards
sason
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
[Posting this for the benefit of others waiting for their Oxbridge responses]

Cambridge Application Process has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth...

I just received an automated message asking me to sign into the application portal to view my application decision... which was a very brief, generic rejection. It has left me a little shocked as I have gotten a response in 10 days from date of application (which was the last date), which was a summary rejection. Which implies to me that they wouldn't have had much time to skim through my application as I fully expect them to have received 1000's of applications.

So I wonder what in my application was a such a glaring red flag that didn't require a second thought before they rejected the application?? My application to INSEAD (which was done in a rush, writing 7 essays in 18 days) has gotten me interviews, while this application which I spent a lot more time carefully crafting has gotten me a outright refusal in record time. Not sure what the red flag was... my age?? I will be 34 (which is the top of their age range) by the time the program starts next September.

If anyone has any thoughts, it would help settle my mind at this point as I am figuring out what I plan to do next.

My Profile - M/Indian/8 years WE in the US/650 GMAT (equally balanced)/Strategy & BD/Media Industry/I manage a business unit/33 years Old

Thanks...
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
careerchange wrote:

I just received an automated message asking me to sign into the application portal to view my application decision... which was a very brief, generic rejection. It has left me a little shocked as I have gotten a response in 10 days from date of application (which was the last date), which was a summary rejection. Which implies to me that they wouldn't have had much time to skim through my application as I fully expect them to have received 1000's of applications.

So I wonder what in my application was a such a glaring red flag that didn't require a second thought before they rejected the application?? My application to INSEAD (which was done in a rush, writing 7 essays in 18 days) has gotten me interviews, while this application which I spent a lot more time carefully crafting has gotten me a outright refusal in record time. Not sure what the red flag was... my age?? I will be 34 (which is the top of their age range) by the time the program starts next September.

If anyone has any thoughts, it would help settle my mind at this point as I am figuring out what I plan to do next.

My Profile - M/Indian/8 years WE in the US/650 GMAT (equally balanced)/Strategy & BD/Media Industry/I manage a business unit/33 years Old

Thanks...

Even I got the same response bro...looks like they had huge number of applications from India and that was enough for them to reject the applications.
M/Indian/6 yrs WE/ 700 GMAT - R&D Telecommunications
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
careerchange wrote:

Thanks...

Got a similar mail, I too have been rejected w/o an interview. As pointed out, their way of communication has not been very clear. First, they'd problems with their application portal and now such an ambiguous way of feedback. I believe this is for good.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 07:40
This post received
KUDOS
@ hsourabh, acer2knight, careerchange - did all of you come to know about it today? When did you submit your application?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 07:41
This post received
KUDOS
chrsrook wrote:
@ hsourabh, acer2knight, careerchange - did all of you come to know about it today? When did you submit your application?

I think I submitted my application a day before the deadline
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 5

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
I too was rejected by Cambridge today. To be honest I always thought that that application was a bit of a punt, I get the impression that they seem to be going the way of the top US schools only accepting the stupidly over qualified applicants.

On the positive side I don't need to find a reason to tell them why I'd prefer to go there instead of Oxford (fingers crossed for that application!)

Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
acer2knight wrote:
chrsrook wrote:

2 days prior to the deadline
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
hsourabh wrote:
acer2knight wrote:
chrsrook wrote:

2 days prior to the deadline

The night before the deadline date.

If you haven't heard back yet, I think you've gone past the initial checkpoint (what ever the criteria might be)...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
interesting, last year the interview invites came first and the rejects/waitlists the next day. Sorry to hear about the rejects. Cambridge seems to have a quirky way of rejecting applicants that seem superficially solid. I still wonder what the secret mix is that they're looking for.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS
Just got back home from work and checked my email - I have been invited to interview!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:14
This post received
KUDOS
chrsrook wrote:
Just got back home from work and checked my email - I have been invited to interview!

mind sharing your profile????
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
Look what I found: a review on R1 applications: http://www.thecambridgembaadmissions.com/2010/10/13/mba2011-round1/
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 12

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
sason wrote:
Hi
I have a question regarding the experience required. On said's as well Cambridge's website it is stated that the ave exp is 6+ years.My exp will be 3 years in Aug 2011.So my question is whether a low work ex will hamper my chances ( will have to drop the idea of applying if dont have enough chance since am on a bit of a budget ). My general profile is

BTech IT from India ( yeah another software engineer from India)
working as Associate Software Engineer since Aug 2008 at IBM India labs
6 months internship during my studies (final semester)
GMAT : 750 (Q50 v40 ) AWA 6

Also how does Oxbridge measures the work exp. I mean afriend of mine said that Oxbridge ( or rather most European univ) consider relevant exp upto the point when one fills the form and not when one joins ( i.e. July 2011).

Any reply would be appreciated. It would help me immensely in selecting my schools.

regards
sason

Hi
dont mean to hack the thread but any comments on my post have to decide on my app ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:23
annae wrote:
Look what I found: a review on R1 applications: http://www.thecambridgembaadmissions.com/2010/10/13/mba2011-round1/

Cambridge now boasts of finishing reviewing the applications in half the time, why doesnt it spend another half in providing some positive feedback
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
@acer2knight - 26/M/Indian/5 yrs WE/ 640 GMAT - Finance - worked in in NY, London and now Warsaw
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
chrsrook wrote:
@acer2knight - 26/M/Indian/5 yrs WE/ 640 GMAT - Finance - worked in in NY, London and now Warsaw

Well I am on my own trip here :o)... trying to find out if age was a factor.

@hsourabh / @acer2knight / @Senior Flunky... Profiles please? especially age - @acerknight, I don't think I got your age.

Thanks... need closure :)
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2010, 08:38