Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 01:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxbridge 2011 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cambridge/Judge '11
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [3] , given: 0

Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 04:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Since the first inquiries are rolling in, perhaps it is time for a new thread for yet another year of Oxbridge applications. :)

Oxford seems to have kept the stages for 2010-11 admissions similar to those last year. Cambridge has added a couple of interview dates for R3, stretching the interview process to a month-long, compared to the usual week-long process. They are probably expecting a big swell of applications in R3, which could perhaps reflect last year's high demand after R1 dings from other schools were out. This means also thar R4 and R5 dates are pushed forward with about a month.

Below is a modified version of Greenoak's information package from last year's thread.

Good luck!

Last year's Oxbridge applicants thread
Oxbridge applicants thread from two years ago
Separating Oxford from Cambridge

Oxford – Said Business School

Requirements:
GMAT - average given for reference is 680
TOEFL 109 or IELTS 7.5 (note – this is compulsory, not reference!)
Experience: usually 3+ years
GPA: usually equivalent of no less than good UK 2.1 degree or 3.5 GPA

2009 Rankings: Financial Times – 16, Business Week non-US MBA - 10
Application cost: 125 GBP

Official site: http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/mba/
Admissions on Facebook
Admissions on Twitter
Our Oxford Said information thread

R1
Application deadline 8 October 2010
Interview decision by 29 October 2010
Final decision by 10 December 2010

R2
Application deadline 14 January 20101
Interview decision by 4 February 2011
Final decision by 11 March 2011

R3
Application deadline 1 April 2011
Interview decision by 29 April 2011
Final decision by 27 May 2011

Cambridge – Judge Business School

Requirements:
GMAT – average given for reference is 690 (balanced score is required)
TOEFL:
*Requirements for entry in 2011:TOEFL 100 with min 25 in writing or IELTS 7.0
*Requirements for entry in 2012 onwards: TOEFL 110 with min 25 in each section or IELTS 7.5 with no element below 7.0
Experience: usually 3+ years
GPA: usually equivalent of no less than UK 2.1 degree or 3.3 GPA
One recommendation from a supervisor and one from a peer

2009 Rankings: Financial Times – 21, Business Week non-US MBA - second tier
Application cost: 100 GBP

Official site: http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/mba/index.html
Admissions on Facebook
Unofficial informational tweets by an MBA Coordinator: Twitter
Blog. Note that the blog is mainly not about admissions, but about life in Cambridge.

R1
Application deadline 4 Oct 2010
Interview day 5 and 8 Nov 2010
Decision 11 Nov 2010

R2
Application deadline 6 Dec 2010
Interview day 14 and 17 Jan 2011
Decision 20 Jan 2011

R3
Application deadline 10 Jan 2011
Interview day 7 Feb, 14 Feb, 21 Feb, and 7 Mar 2011
Decision 24 Feb, 3 Mar or 10 Mar 2011

R4
Application deadline 14 Mar 2010
Interview day 29 or 16 May 2011
Decision 19 May 2011

R5
Application deadline 16 Apr 2011
Interview day 10 Jun and 13 Jun 2011
Decision 16 Jun 2011

Last edited by PTK on 14 Feb 2011, 07:10, edited 3 times in total.
added new Cambridge's TOEFL requirement
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Oxford '11
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [5] , given: 11

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 15:10
This post received
KUDOS
Acer,

The college system is indeed a bit complicated and you can find more detail here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/colleges/the_colleg ... index.html

Basically, the college is just a place where students eat, sleep (unless you decide to live off campus - FYI - If you decide to live off campus you still pay the college fee, but you pay for your housing/food seperately.), socialize, and which has some administrative authority like degree granting... nothing you need to worry about at this point. You might think Harry Potter here, if you're familiar with the reference (Hogwarts = Oxford; Slytherin/Hufflepuff/Gryffendor/Ravenclaw = your college). In Harry Potter there are four 'colleges', whereas there are nearly 40 at Oxford. Among the most famous at Oxford are Christ Church, Magdalen (pron. Mawdlen), and Balliol.

Specific to your question, your costs for Oxford will look something like this (with SBS costs separated from college costs because they are two different entities with different staff, costs, endowments, etc):
* Said Business School - 33000 GBP if I recall correctly (EDIT - I see 2011/12 costs are now 36300 GBP... still a bargain compaired with what you'd pay at top US schools)
* Your Specific College - about 3300 GBP (some colleges cost more, some less... this is what they mean by average)
* Food/Housing - Maybe around 13000? GBP
* And then anything else you'll need (Computer, Tux, plane tickets, etc)

As for your second question - pick two colleges (most desired followed by a backup) and have reasons for why you chose them specifically. In my interview I was asked why I chose them. But keep in mind that you will have the ability to change your college choice once you are admitted, so the choice is not as important at this point as is your reason for your choice.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited by jon82 on 07 Sep 2010, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD Class of J'12

Kudos [?]: 19 [3] , given: 5

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2010, 17:34
This post received
KUDOS
My Interview Experience: Mon 8th Nov Scheduled 10:50 am

There were 7 of us in total with interview times from 9:30 t0 11:40 am and then we all met for lunch, attended selection of MBA class and final discussion with Adcom before finishing at 3:45 pm

The interview was generic. Before going to the interviewer my transcript copies were checked and photocopies were taken for Admin purposes.

Interview Qs:
1. Why MBA?
2. Why Oxford?
3. Tell me about your current job and what are your responsibilities?
4. What is your definition of a leader?
5. How do you work best in team or as an individual?
6. Have you faced any challenging experience dealing with customers? What was the situation, my role and outcome?
7. Anything else that I felt she should have asked , or I feel would add to my candidacy.

--------------
I asked:
1. Oxford's 10 year plan and reliance on rankings?
2. Why very few scholarships for us Brits?
3. Specific question on Vodafone Technology Management fund.

Hope this is descriptive enough. If you want any more details please pm me.

All the best!
CP
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 11

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
Acer,

Colleges offer many of the same services, including lodging, food, chapel, MCR, social activities, sports, etc. but these often vary widely; so you should research and choose based on the things which are important to you. For instance, Queen's college doesn't offer accomodation, Magdalen offers only one place for an MBA (but gives a full room/board scholarship for that individual), some colleges have great food (Corpus Christi?), some have decent food at a great price, some have 500 year old rooms (that is often more of a minus than a plus), some have newly renovated rooms (Exeter - site of fictional Jordan College in The Golden Compass), some have scholarships for books and travel (Jesus College), some have huge endowments (St John's - which owns the Eagle and Child Pub, the site of meetings between Oxford's CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien and other writers), some are located close to the SBS building (Worchester) while others are far away (St Catherine's), some colleges are small, big, pastoral, or reputed to be lively, or quiet, some have great sports teams (the New College rowing team won an olympic gold medal) while others have small teams and you might have a better chance of landing on their varsity squad, some are tourist attractions (Christ Church - which has its own cathedral and was used in filming of Harry Potter), some have famous grads (Bill Clinton - University College, Adam Smith - Balliol College, Lawrence of Arabia, Benezir Bhutto, Stephen Hawking, Andrew Lloyd Weber, John Locke, Kings, Saints, Popes, Nobel Prize winners, etc), some are predominantly for older graduates with families, or have great grad housing (Brasenose has grad housing right across from SBS), or focus on the MBA community (Green Templeton), etc etc...

When you get a job, your employer likley won't care which college you went to (your CV will say Oxford MBA), so research and choose based on what is important for you and your experience.

Here are a couple links to get you started:
http://push.co.uk/Uni-profiles/s.htm (scroll through for Oxford)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleges_o ... _of_Oxford
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 11

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
Dr Satisfaction,

I agree that the Oxford brand is huge in Asia. One point - Cornell is actually pretty well known in Greater China... three term Taiwanese president Lee went to Cornell, which bolstered the school's reputation considerably. I would bet many in HK would value this degree highly.

J
2 KUDOS received
Official Business School Representative
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 32 [2] , given: 0

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 21:56
This post received
KUDOS
Just to add to acer2knight's excellent suggestions, I would say that at Cambridge, there is no one predominant pedagogical method, unlike Harvard which relies heavily on the case method, largely due to HBS' historical links with the Law School, or Chicago's heavy quant focus, due tonthat school's historical links to their econs faculty and their particular brand of economics.

Instead, there is a variety of teaching methods from case studies, lectures, and assessment methods such as group projects and written exams. Compared to other programmes, even two-year ones, there is a very high percentage of group projects at Cambridge and many of our students are attracted to the School because of that. So you should consider that factor carefully, ie are you the type that is energized by working in highly diverse groups.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge Judge Business School
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Oxford'11
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 14

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 15:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, I participated at a Preview Day at Cranfield, applied to and was accepted with scholarship.
I think they have a very strong academic program, centered on case studies/debates and leadership development. Also they have an amazing effective career service, with strong connections in industry - maybe less in consulting and financial services; they might lack the "wow" factor of the brand of other MBA programs and the breath of alumni network it relative limited.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cambridge/Judge '11

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 0

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
CFAforMe wrote:
Annae,

How many hours per day are you spending in class or working on school assignments? Do you have to go to class on weekends?

Hi! Michaelmas is hell, but I like it. We have class 9-12.30 and 14-17.30 most days. Some days only half days and a couple of days we're off. However, we also have careers sessions during lunch and in the evenings, as well as leadship talks and other activities and special interest group meetings, so the average day is about 9 hours. Sometimes 5, sometimes 11. Tough classes demand 1-2 hours of reading the night before, and in any case most classes require prereading to be done before coming to class. Plus case studies, competitions, etc... so it is a wonder I have managed to keep weekends off until now. ;)
2 KUDOS received

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry for not checking this thread earlier as I was travelling a fair bit in the last month.

I want to clarify aspects of the Cambridge admissions process arising from some of the discussions that have started after we sent out interview decisions earlier this month.

Firstly, we do spend a lot of time on each application. It might not seem that way because we turn around our decisions so much faster than other business schools but our speed is down to a well-tuned process rather than a lack of rigour. I personally clear my schedule for the 10 days after every deadline so that I can spare the time to read applications carefully. I don't have the stats but I personally read about 50% of all the applications that were submitted in Round 1, and I am not ashamed to say that that is a much higher volume than what other admission directors read. That we have five application rounds also means that we have, on average, fewer applications to read per round compared to other schools.

If anything, we have spent even more time per application this year. I have personally called some candidates to clarify certain aspects of their application before deciding whether to invite them for an interview.

Secondly, there were questions about the type of candidate that we are looking for. I can't and won't go into individual details of candidates but I will say that we are looking for candidates who are intellectually strong and curious, have a global orientation, demonstrate strong leadership potential, collaborate well in cross-cultural teams, have a strong moral ballast and have something unique that they can offer the class. I also ask myself how each applicant measures up against our current students and recent alumni, and in many cases, I make a comparison against a current student or alum who has a similar background.

Because the admissions process revolves around people, it will never be 100% precise. You will see this again when you interview for jobs during your MBA. So, at times, it will be difficult to see why you were accepted by one school and not another. What I can say is that we received a large pool of applications in round 1, and the competition was very stiff. To the people on this forum whom I had to reject, I know that you have strong backgrounds and I am confident you will get into an MBA of your choice. To those who have received an interview invite, I look forward to either meeting you on-campus on the 8th.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge Judge Business School
Follow me on @CambridgeMBA
2 KUDOS received

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 02:19
This post received
KUDOS
@Anasthaesium

I think you will find that official stats won't come out for some time because the convention is to report job offer acceptances three months after graduation. I can't speak for Oxford. In Cambridge, students complete their studies in September, and the Examination Board approves their degree in October, and we poll the students in February the next year. It does take a while to gather all the data so the destination report is only ready in April or May.

At this point in time, I do see many non-EU students getting employment within the UK or in Europe. Some of them are career switchers, eg we have one student who moved from banking in Eastern Europe to consulting in the UK; another who moved from pharma sales in Latin America to consulting in the UK; an Asian who worked in the US in consumer banking and then moved to a consulting role here. Someone from Oceania in oil and gas who then moved to consulting.

The bottom line is that career switches are being made even for non-EU students. However, you should not think that an MBA automatically confers the ability to move between careers. A lot will depend on your own ability, how hard you want to work in terms of networking, and also your own experience.

Given the expense of an MBA, you should also think of it as opening an international career rather than just one centred around the UK or Europe. In fact, I know of several non-EU students who turned down job offers in the UK so that they could take up a job in China for example.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge University
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 19

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
Awesome, thanks annae!!

I've been sifting through the Oxbridge 2010 thread (as you recommended) and that's been helpful.

Some initial questions / thoughts:

1) Is it better to visit all the schools before applying? Or is it better to just apply and then, if invited for an interview, visit the school at that point? My concern is that I live in the US, so trying to be efficient with my vacation days and travel expenses.

2) Is there a clear preference as to which round to apply? I'm still working out my strategy, but right now I'm thinking Cambridge Round 2 or 3 and Oxford R2. If I do a 'round Europe grad school trip in November, then I will probably apply R3 to Cambridge since trying to get my app in by the Dec deadline would be super stressful.

I had initially dismissed Oxford (for whatever reason, my first impression was that it was a much more theoretical program). After reading the Oxbridge thread, I decided to take a closer look at Oxford and it seems to be a potential fit. Only problem is that I really didn't need to add another school to my ever-growing list of schools :?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 19

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you very much Conrad, I appreciate the advice. I had not considered scholarship deadlines; that will be my new research project over the next few days.

I am registered for the MBA fair in San Francisco in September and definitely plan on visiting the Cambridge area. I look forward to meeting you then.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 03:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Conrad,

Does Cambridge encourage reapplicants? There isnt any specific information on reapplication.

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hi CambridgeMBA,

When we talk about application deadlines, does that mean full application?
Specifically, what I mean by the above question is the following:
- Does the GMAT score have to be the Official GMAT score received by them from GMAC or the score we receive just after the test will be satisfactory?
- In case recommendation letters are to be filled online, does this mean that by the letters will be duly filled by the before the deadline?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

regards,
Jack
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 01:03
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks alot Conrad for your prompt reply!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Oxford (CO 2012)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 01:35
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everyone!!

I am an applicant from India. I have done my entire schooling and undergraduate studies( engg) with English as the medium of instruction.
Do I qualify for English Ability test waiver?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 4

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 11:20
This post received
KUDOS
I come from IT background, and would like to get an MBA to progress into a management (still in IT). But I'm a bit concerned that both schools seem to focus on finance and entrepreneurship.

Do you think they would fit my plans for an IT oriented career?

I like both schools because of the strong brand names and the short study period.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 193 [1] , given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
is 2.92 too low for Said? does the school view gpa at top of the list?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 37

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,
If I attend an American liberal arts university outside the USA and all my classes are taught in English but I am not a native speaker, I won`t be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS, will I ?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD: Waitlisted Jan 2010, Interview invite Jan 2011.
WE 1: Banking

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 00:05
This post received
KUDOS
buttercup wrote:
Hello everyone!!

I am an applicant from India. I have done my entire schooling and undergraduate studies( engg) with English as the medium of instruction.
Do I qualify for English Ability test waiver?

Buttercup, you would qualify for the english ability test waiver. Just make sure your transcripts include a confirmation that english was the medium of instruction. I am a current admit at Said and will be starting this Oct.
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2010, 00:05