Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxbridge vs. Top US School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Oxbridge vs. Top US School [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2011, 08:12
So I have a dilemma between getting accepted into an Oxbridge school (I won't say which one...only it ends in bridge) and a top US school (Ivy league, top 10-15). Which one has job prospects after graduation? Would employers look at the Oxbridge school in the US? I'm not sure where I'd like to be yet but at Oxbridge, they said that it would really hard to remain in the UK because you would need a sponsored visa to work anywhere (I'm a US citizen so the idea of a sponsored visa is completely new to me).

However, oxbridge is only 1 year (and 1 year cheaper) and I think I would really have the opportunity to expand my horizons by living outside the US. Would I be able to work internationally coming out of a US top school? It just seems like Oxbridge is less of a guarantee than a US school (since I know my surroundings and my opportunities). Would I receive the same signing bonus coming out of oxbridge?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Oxbridge vs. Top US School [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2011, 09:06
Expert's post
Ultimately, it depends on where you want to work. For any business school, the network is the stronger the closer it is to the school. For Oxbridge, obviously the network will be the strongest in UK/Europe. I'm not sure how difficult it is to get visa sponsorship in the UK, but it's definitely possible, although I'm sure your employer selection will be limited (some employers don't sponsor). As far as working back in the US, I would imagine you will have to do a lot of networking. How easy it would be will depend on how strong the alumni network is in the US in your target industry. I don't think Judge has a strong network since it's a relatively new school (Said would be even worse). Also, the leadership development programs will be very difficult to break into, since those focus heavily on on-campus recruiting.

Although an one year MBA may sound attractive, I would look twice before joining, especially if you want to switch industries. With a two year program, you'll have the opportunity to test the waters by doing an internship. The internship will also give the employer an opportunity to evaluate you. From an employer's perspective, it is a risky and expensive to take on someone with no experience. However, it's not impossible to switch either. You just need to do more leg work. One good thing about going to Oxbridge is that the competition for jobs will be lower (my speculation only). Since Oxbrdige is #2/3 school in UK (and top 10 in Europe).

The bottom line: If you want to live/work in UK/Europe, go to Oxbridge. But take career switching and job hunting into consideration.

Good luck!

Diversity

Re: Oxbridge vs. Top US School   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2011, 09:06