Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.94
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 14:34
Hi guys, can anyone offer any insights into the questions that recommenders are asked? Can't seem to find that information on the website. Thanks in advance!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 75

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 02:14
FYI: A must read article for all the prospective student (including myself), who are planning to do an MBA in UK

economist-s-show-europe-s-including-uk-mba-charms-waning-142132.html

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 03:14
Thanks for your post.

That said, I am fairly surprised to hear you indicate that a bland dress-sense indicates a candidates likelihood of success on an MBA course and wider career.

If an MBA course does not want to accept me on the basis of my [colourful] tie - it is simply not the school for me.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 06:16
Kohsamed wrote:
Thanks for your post.

That said, I am fairly surprised to hear you indicate that a bland dress-sense indicates a candidates likelihood of success on an MBA course and wider career.

If an MBA course does not want to accept me on the basis of my [colourful] tie - it is simply not the school for me.

You are missing the point. What you wear at business school has nothing to do with the interview. The interview is just, well, an interview. Imagine you were going for interview with McKinsey or say for an investment banking associate job at Goldman Sachs. Would you dress conservatively or try and make a fashion statement?

Let me ask a different question. Say, you were interviewing for a firm that you know has a very casual work wear policy. They allow people to come in sweatshirts and sneakers. Would you attend the interview in a sweatshirt and sneaker or would you dress up formally?

There will be plenty of occasions at Oxford where you will have to wear formal. College dinners, matriculation, exams (you wear black suit to all your exams). This in no way means an Oxonian's fashion is limited to black tie and evening gowns. What it means is there are occasions that are given a certain respect and formal wear adds to the tradition and magnificence of the event.

There are many (including men) in my class who wear red pants to class. Since today was officially Diwali, I saw Indian girls dressed up in Salwar (a traditional Indian dress). I personally wear jeans almost on all days that I don't have a company presentation or a networking event.

At the same time, I am always in a dark suit when I attend company networking events or external presentations. I am from the US and had never owned a bow tie. I do tie my own bow tie now if I have to go to a college formal dinner or a concert.

Part of the MBA interview process is how much diversity you will bring to the class and part of it has to do with your employability. This is universal across business schools. You will not be judged on your tie, but there will be a tipping point where your fashion statement might just keep you out of business school.

I hope I have made the point.

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 06:33
I get your point, I just don't agree that interviewees need to subscribe to an 'identikit' appearance. I am not suggesting that people use the interview to show off the latest edgy fashion.

Be smart, but be yourself.

I have spent my whole career (to date) in investment banking, and yes, I would not hesitate to interview with GS wearing a patterned/coloured tie (I never even wore a tie to any of the 10 interviews for my current role, and even wear red trousers to work once a week :))

I don't have a big issue, just thought it was worth picking up on. Maybe we just come from different backgrounds.

But like I said, your original post is much appreciated! nice blog too :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.21

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 19:49
Hey everyone- congrats to all those who received interviews! Question to those applying from the States- is there any specific reason you are applying overseas as opposed to American business schools? Oxford is obviously incredible, but I'd love to hear your responses. Thanks, and good luck!
Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 23:53
Congratulations to everyone who got interview invites!

I was looking at the admissions deadlines for Said, and noticed that there are "Interview Decision" dates.
Does this mean that if an applicant does not receive an invite by the interview decision date of the round/stage to which he applied, he is automatically rejected/dinged?

I will be applying to stage/round 2. This is going to be a busy Christmas break for me. :)
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 27

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 16:28
jason12e, I believe all candidates receive a decision email, whether it is an interview invite or a ding, the date is simply the latest you would receive that notification. For Round 1, most of us received our emails a day early.

Anyway, I had my interview via Skype today. As a few people have said, the interview really comes across as more of a "get to know you" conversation. I was asked the standard MBA interview questions, sure, but there were a good chunk of personality-centric questions, at least compared with my previous interview. The interviewer was incredibly polite and friendly, it never once felt like an interrogation of my CV. Overall, it seemed as though my academic/professional qualifications were assumed by virtue of being invited to interview, but the committee wanted to see if I would make a good "fit" for the program. Just my two cents, anyway, I'm sure we'll all have different, hopefully positive, experiences. Good luck all!
Current Student
Schools: Said (A), Judge (M)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 20:35
crappyapp2 wrote:
Hey everyone- congrats to all those who received interviews! Question to those applying from the States- is there any specific reason you are applying overseas as opposed to American business schools? Oxford is obviously incredible, but I'd love to hear your responses. Thanks, and good luck!

Crappyapp2 - I think you'll find that most US based applicants want to study overseas to profit from a more international experience (US schools are mostly filled with Americans), experience living and studying in a different culture/environment and take advantage of the one-year programs and the time and dollar savings associated with this. Oxford specifically has excellent brand recognition worldwide, so that's another reason to study there. I wish you luck!

ps: I find it amusing that the username "crappyapp" was already taken!

CptBrightside wrote:
Anyway, I had my interview via Skype today. As a few people have said, the interview really comes across as more of a "get to know you" conversation. I was asked the standard MBA interview questions, sure, but there were a good chunk of personality-centric questions, at least compared with my previous interview. The interviewer was incredibly polite and friendly, it never once felt like an interrogation of my CV. Overall, it seemed as though my academic/professional qualifications were assumed by virtue of being invited to interview, but the committee wanted to see if I would make a good "fit" for the program. Just my two cents, anyway, I'm sure we'll all have different, hopefully positive, experiences. Good luck all!

Glad to hear your interview went well. Having already been through a similar Cambridge interview, I agree that they seem to be mostly looking for "fit". I take it you applied last year as well? Do you know if Oxford will make an exception and reveal the result a little earlier for those that have to send in an accept/decline response to Cambridge on the 5th? Also, does scholarship information come at the same time as the interview decision?

On a different note - anyone else planning to interview in San Francisco on the 29th?
Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 21:48
CptBrightside wrote:
jason12e, I believe all candidates receive a decision email, whether it is an interview invite or a ding, the date is simply the latest you would receive that notification. For Round 1, most of us received our emails a day early.

Thanks CptBrightside!

If I understood you correctly, Oxford's dates are like Harvard's -- if they don't invite you by the Interview Notification date, then it's essentially a "ding"?

That's kind of them. I don't want to prolong the agony/wait. Haha!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.21

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 14:19
Leftcoastguy- thanks for the insight! Oxford definitely sounds like a wonderful place to earn an MBA- good luck on your interview!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 22:28
Had my interview - in person. Was much tougher than I expected. Got questions on environment, foreign policy and even industries that I have no exposure to apart from the usual Why Oxford / Why MBA / Why You questions!

My start was a bit shaky but I ended strongly, so lets wait and watch!
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS MIF '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 07:03
longranger wrote:
Had my interview - in person. Was much tougher than I expected. Got questions on environment, foreign policy and even industries that I have no exposure to apart from the usual Why Oxford / Why MBA / Why You questions!

My start was a bit shaky but I ended strongly, so lets wait and watch!

I also had mine today via Skype. Was pretty short, 25 minutes. The usual questions altogether, so nothing unexpected.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 16:20
Had my interview today. Most questions were standard but a couple of them were meant to knock me off balance. I hope I did OK. At the end, I had a great conversation about where the interviewer saw Saïd in the context of the current financial crisis and where it is going. Don't tell Insead but Oxford is my top choice :)
Current Student

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 16:48
Sounds like we're all doing well with our interviews; hopefully we can repeat the success of last year's GMATClubbers where 23 of 29 members who were interviewed were admitted, including 10 of 13 in R1.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 06:52
had my interview today via skype. First impression - WOW . Totally relaxed interview. The interview was all about understanding the candidate, the thinking process, the soft skills, moral values, business values, why said, why now,some behavioral questions, etc..........

Just curious, at the fag end I was asked whether I am comfortable with the decision announced on 9 Dec or I want it early. I replied I am cool with the deadline. What to make of this unexpected question??

Let Difficulties know that you too are difficult

if you want the rainbow,you gotta put up with the rain

Current Student
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 06:54
CptBrightside wrote:
Sounds like we're all doing well with our interviews; hopefully we can repeat the success of last year's GMATClubbers where 23 of 29 members who were interviewed were admitted, including 10 of 13 in R1.

Amen :)

Let Difficulties know that you too are difficult

if you want the rainbow,you gotta put up with the rain

Current Student
Schools: Said (A), Judge (M)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 08:39
paras123 wrote:
had my interview today via skype. First impression - WOW . Totally relaxed interview. The interview was all about understanding the candidate, the thinking process, the soft skills, moral values, business values, why said, why now,some behavioral questions, etc..........

Just curious, at the fag end I was asked whether I am comfortable with the decision announced on 9 Dec or I want it early. I replied I am cool with the deadline. What to make of this unexpected question??

Thanks for the update and good to know your interview went well. I'm pleasantly surprised they asked you about the early decision. It probably has to do with the fact that for those of us that have been accepted elsewhere, the date by which we need to accept/decline the offer is before Dec 9th. There are at least two of us here in that situation so it's very considerate of them to accomodate us.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Other)

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 08:45
I got an email saying that the decision will be communicated on Dec 7? How come the Dec 9 date is now being mentioned??
Current Student

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 12:40
longranger wrote:
I got an email saying that the decision will be communicated on Dec 7? How come the Dec 9 date is now being mentioned??

I received a similar email this week after my interview confirming the 7th, perhaps the December 9th date was a typo in the post or the interviewer misspeaking? Personally, I would trust the website and our confirmation emails that we will receive our decisions by the 7th.
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2012, 12:40