Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 10:55
strangebrew wrote:
@kaushinside

R2 applicant here in a similar dilemma. Wondering whether we can wait until the calls are out on Feb1 and then send in the transcripts.

I hold an indian undergraduate degree and a masters in the US. I can manage my masters transcript but the undergraduate transcripts involve a fair bit of running around. Confused!

Also, any idea when we can expect to hear from Cambridge?


@strangebrew

Their email says: If you are invited for interview you will need to post a hard copy of your transcripts/marksheets. This can either be the originals or a certified copy.

Hence, we'll have to wait until the results are out before sending any docs to them..

If you receive an invite(i hope you do) you could send an email to them asking for some more time depending on your travel.
Perhaps, R1ers could throw some light on this matter..



p.s. Cambridge hasn't given a specific date.. no clue :(
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 38
Location: United States (WI)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 27

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 11:28
2
This post received
KUDOS
kaushinside wrote:
strangebrew wrote:
@kaushinside

R2 applicant here in a similar dilemma. Wondering whether we can wait until the calls are out on Feb1 and then send in the transcripts.

I hold an indian undergraduate degree and a masters in the US. I can manage my masters transcript but the undergraduate transcripts involve a fair bit of running around. Confused!

Also, any idea when we can expect to hear from Cambridge?


@strangebrew

Their email says: If you are invited for interview you will need to post a hard copy of your transcripts/marksheets. This can either be the originals or a certified copy.

Hence, we'll have to wait until the results are out before sending any docs to them..

If you receive an invite(i hope you do) you could send an email to them asking for some more time depending on your travel.
Perhaps, R1ers could throw some light on this matter..



p.s. Cambridge hasn't given a specific date.. no clue :(


Hey, R1er here, hopefully I can help out...

I did not send my transcripts until I received my interview invite. When they emailed me to confirm my interview date/time, they included a reminder to send them my original university transcripts. They can conduct your interview and all that jazz with what you submitted with your application; however, they need a hard copy (original or certified copy) sent from your school before they can release your final decision.

Good luck everyone!
Cpt. Brightside
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2012
Posts: 32
Schools: Said (A), Judge (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 7

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 19:00
2
This post received
KUDOS
kaushinside wrote:
strangebrew wrote:
@kaushinside

R2 applicant here in a similar dilemma. Wondering whether we can wait until the calls are out on Feb1 and then send in the transcripts.

I hold an indian undergraduate degree and a masters in the US. I can manage my masters transcript but the undergraduate transcripts involve a fair bit of running around. Confused!

Also, any idea when we can expect to hear from Cambridge?


@strangebrew

Their email says: If you are invited for interview you will need to post a hard copy of your transcripts/marksheets. This can either be the originals or a certified copy.

Hence, we'll have to wait until the results are out before sending any docs to them..

If you receive an invite(i hope you do) you could send an email to them asking for some more time depending on your travel.
Perhaps, R1ers could throw some light on this matter..



p.s. Cambridge hasn't given a specific date.. no clue :(


Strangebrew - I assume you have your original transcripts/marksheets with you? Just make copies and get those certified by any notary public in the US. Should be straightforward unless you are not in possession of your originals. Once you do this, just mail it to Oxford and it should reach them before your interview (you have a few weeks between the invitation and the interview). This is what I did and it worked fine.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 130
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 22:23
Leftcoastguy wrote:
kaushinside wrote:
strangebrew wrote:
@kaushinside

R2 applicant here in a similar dilemma. Wondering whether we can wait until the calls are out on Feb1 and then send in the transcripts.

I hold an indian undergraduate degree and a masters in the US. I can manage my masters transcript but the undergraduate transcripts involve a fair bit of running around. Confused!

Also, any idea when we can expect to hear from Cambridge?


@strangebrew

Their email says: If you are invited for interview you will need to post a hard copy of your transcripts/marksheets. This can either be the originals or a certified copy.

Hence, we'll have to wait until the results are out before sending any docs to them..

If you receive an invite(i hope you do) you could send an email to them asking for some more time depending on your travel.
Perhaps, R1ers could throw some light on this matter..



p.s. Cambridge hasn't given a specific date.. no clue :(


Strangebrew - I assume you have your original transcripts/marksheets with you? Just make copies and get those certified by any notary public in the US. Should be straightforward unless you are not in possession of your originals. Once you do this, just mail it to Oxford and it should reach them before your interview (you have a few weeks between the invitation and the interview). This is what I did and it worked fine.


Someone please explain the rationale of this unique behaviour
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 23:24
@wouldbecrazy

i suppose they want to verify the authenticity of all the documentation before giving out a final call..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 130
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 02:44
kaushinside wrote:
@wouldbecrazy

i suppose they want to verify the authenticity of all the documentation before giving out a final call..


That would be a filmsy excuse to complicate the already complicated process and incurring extra cost and hassle for nothing!!

Most of the schools does that during matriculation .. so they are not as smart as Said, right?

Too many people are selected in Said and many does not take the offer, for example Paras, Ducks, etc. Why to burden them as well as many people interviewed but not selected with this unnecessary step?

Is this followed for all candidates or followed for RANDOMLY selected few?

Did they received too many FAKE applications in the past so they had to take this additional step?

Assuming that there were fake applications in the past, for the time being suspending the ethical part, if those fake people were selected by Said and had to reject due to faking, then that either means educational transcripts does not truly depict a candidate or Said selection method is flawed.

MBA admission process is already not so straight forward and some schools are unnecessarily complicating the process without any practical gain. And the most serious issue, they are doing it selectively.

Sorry, I am not targeting Said, it is a general observation, applicable to quite a few schools.

Thoughts please
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 02:51
wouldbecrazy wrote:
kaushinside wrote:
@wouldbecrazy

i suppose they want to verify the authenticity of all the documentation before giving out a final call..


That would be a filmsy excuse to complicate the already complicated process and incurring extra cost and hassle for nothing!!

Most of the schools does that during matriculation .. so they are not as smart as Said, right?

Too many people are selected in Said and many does not take the offer, for example Paras, Ducks, etc. Why to burden them as well as many people interviewed but not selected with this unnecessary step?

Is this followed for all candidates or followed for RANDOMLY selected few?

Did they received too many FAKE applications in the past so they had to take this additional step?

Assuming that there were fake applications in the past, for the time being suspending the ethical part, if those fake people were selected by Said and had to reject due to faking, then that either means educational transcripts does not truly depict a candidate or Said selection method is flawed.

MBA admission process is already not so straight forward and some schools are unnecessarily complicating the process without any practical gain. And the most serious issue, they are doing it selectively.

Sorry, I am not targeting Said, it is a general observation, applicable to quite a few schools.

Thoughts please


am not advocating the practice, just trying to guess the purpose..
i agree that it is strange for any college to ask for these docs before the final decisions..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 130
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 02:57
kaushinside wrote:
am not advocating the practice, just trying to guess the purpose..
i agree that it is strange for any college to ask for these docs before the final decisions..


Sorry Bro, absolutely nothing against you. My apologies.

I was just questioning the whims of some schools.

And if you look at their personal data privacy standards, it is just pathetic. Most of the people there even never heard of it!! Some of the schools are openly showing personal information such as name, DOB, Passport No on their web. Not directly, but if you know how to get inside a website, it is so easy!!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 03:18
wouldbecrazy wrote:
kaushinside wrote:
am not advocating the practice, just trying to guess the purpose..
i agree that it is strange for any college to ask for these docs before the final decisions..


Sorry Bro, absolutely nothing against you. My apologies.

I was just questioning the whims of some schools.

And if you look at their personal data privacy standards, it is just pathetic. Most of the people there even never heard of it!! Some of the schools are openly showing personal information such as name, DOB, Passport No on their web. Not directly, but if you know how to get inside a website, it is so easy!!


well, let's just hold our horses and hope they have a good reason for it.. :)

any idea how many applicants are there in the current round and what was the ratio of # of calls to total # of applicants last year?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 130
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 07:50
kaushinside wrote:
well, let's just hold our horses and hope they have a good reason for it.. :)

any idea how many applicants are there in the current round and what was the ratio of # of calls to total # of applicants last year?



Great, keep that positive views always.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [1] , given: 215

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 08:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
If anyone finds it useful, a few remarks:

* I was asked to send original transcripts once I had been invited for interview. They did say that they would not release a final decision until they had received those transcripts. So yes, as unusual as it sounds, you do need to send them original transcripts if you want to hear from them if you were accepted or not.

* In this forum I read about a candidate who interviewed and did not send his/her transcripts on time. A few days after decisions had been released he/she called the admissions office to enquire and was then told that he had been accepted, but an "official" e-mail could not be sent until official transcripts were received.

* I have no bloody idea of why they do this, but I reckon they had very bad experiences in the past. Nevertheless, I would also take it as a good indication that if you are invited to interview chances are very high you will get admitted. My very biased sample of people I contacted in this forum, would tell me that maybe 3/4 of interviews become offers.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2012
Posts: 32
Schools: Said (A), Judge (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 08:40
Agree with everything except this:
Ducksworth wrote:
* So yes, as unusual as it sounds, you do need to send them original transcripts if you want to hear from them if you were accepted or not.


If you interview in person, you need to bring your original transcripts with you to show them. If you interview over the phone, you can send certified copies like I did and receive your final decision.

Last edited by Leftcoastguy on 25 Jan 2013, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 08:46
Leftcoastguy wrote:
Agree with everything except this:
Ducksworth wrote:
* So yes, as unusual as it sounds, you do need to send them original transcripts if you want to hear from them if you were accepted or not.


If you interview in person, you need to bring your original transcripts with you to show them. If you interview over the phone, you can send certified copies like I did and receive your final decision. Please do not mail them original transcripts!


Maybe there is a difference in what we mean by original transcripts?

Where I was an undergrad, they would give you as many "official" transcripts as needed (for a small fee of course). They are just regular printed sheets of paper but in a nice and sealed envelope, signed across.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2012
Posts: 32
Schools: Said (A), Judge (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 10:10
Ducksworth wrote:
Leftcoastguy wrote:
Agree with everything except this:
Ducksworth wrote:
* So yes, as unusual as it sounds, you do need to send them original transcripts if you want to hear from them if you were accepted or not.


If you interview in person, you need to bring your original transcripts with you to show them. If you interview over the phone, you can send certified copies like I did and receive your final decision. Please do not mail them original transcripts!


Maybe there is a difference in what we mean by original transcripts?

Where I was an undergrad, they would give you as many "official" transcripts as needed (for a small fee of course). They are just regular printed sheets of paper but in a nice and sealed envelope, signed across.


You may be right - the definition changes with where you went to school. I was referring to the bond-paper printed, embossed original transcript which some schools give out - not those unlimited supply, sealed envelope ones. I'll edit my post above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 10:27
No, no... no need to edit anything :) Your university seems to be a lot posher than mine ;) Because of your nickname I reckon you went Stanford or something nice like that.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 50
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 13:14
@ kaushinside , CptBrightside, Leftcoastguy - Thanks for your inputs.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 21
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 18:52
May I ask if they send you a confirmation e-mail when they receive your transcripts, particularly if you have multiple transcripts to send? Also, does everyone receive an e-mail decision on the interview date (either interview or rejection)? I was reviewing previous posts from this year and it appears so, but I just wanted to make sure. I agree that the wait is horrible- I wish everyone the best!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 38
Location: United States (WI)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 27

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 05:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
crappyapp2 wrote:
May I ask if they send you a confirmation e-mail when they receive your transcripts, particularly if you have multiple transcripts to send? Also, does everyone receive an e-mail decision on the interview date (either interview or rejection)? I was reviewing previous posts from this year and it appears so, but I just wanted to make sure. I agree that the wait is horrible- I wish everyone the best!


Yes and Yes :)

Good luck!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 18:37
Guys... I interviewed on campus... the admissions staff returned the originals after photo copying. The documents asked were my passport (relevant pages) and my undergrad transcript (the one page paid ones that typical Indian Uni. provides)
FYI… NYU also has the same transcript policy as Oxford.

Yes I got the interview invite and the admission offer over email. (no phone calls)

Good luck :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 15:09
crappyapp2 wrote:
May I ask if they send you a confirmation e-mail when they receive your transcripts, particularly if you have multiple transcripts to send? Also, does everyone receive an e-mail decision on the interview date (either interview or rejection)? I was reviewing previous posts from this year and it appears so, but I just wanted to make sure. I agree that the wait is horrible- I wish everyone the best!


Actually, I had to e-mail them to ask if they had received my transcripts, but they replied literally within a couple of minutes.
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2013, 15:09
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Said (Oxford) Class of 2015 Calling all Admitted Students! Narenn 0 31 Dec 2013, 09:34
64 Experts publish their posts in the topic Said (Oxford) Class of 2015 Calling all applicants! aa2012 263 25 Apr 2013, 07:46
Oxford MFE 2013 - Calling All Applicants rni 7 27 Jan 2013, 04:16
49 Experts publish their posts in the topic Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants yuva1michael 518 25 Jul 2011, 23:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  22    Next  [ 430 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.