Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 04:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 21
Location: Canada
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 14:44
Has anyone received the invoice for deposit? The deadline for deposit is 1 month after we receive the invoice, right?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 21
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 21:04
I have a question- would you tell an adcom that you were accepted someplace else (say, School B) but would prefer to enroll at their school (School A)? I debate with myself whether that would benefit my chances of admission, or if that is an unnecessary risk.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 38
Location: United States (WI)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 27

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 04:16
waxer wrote:
Has anyone received the invoice for deposit? The deadline for deposit is 1 month after we receive the invoice, right?


I'm not sure what the deadline is, but I haven't received an invoice yet, either. I'm sure it will be coming soon.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Posts: 9
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 18:38
Hi

I am extremely confused now after the scholarship has been denied. My personal savings do not cover the whole cost and unless I have means of arranging for the rest of the sum, I do not think it is very wise for me to give the non refundable deposit.

Please don't mind me asking but is anyone of you considering taking loans? If yes, then do you have any information about study loans on easier terms. The study loan for my undergraduate was 4.75% p.a and did not start accruing interest till I graduated. Anything similar that you guys know of? I can't seem to find a lot of information on this on the web. I am particularly interested in the interest rate figures for international students.

Do let me know please. Reply here or pm me. This stands between me attending the course and not opting for it.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 20:11
The information is available on Oxford MBA Page under MBA Loans and Funding.
I cannot post exact URLs :(

(Un)Fortunately, $$$ spent on MBA is like an investment and banks/financial institutes treat MBA loans as such.

bhamlashd wrote:
Hi

I am extremely confused now after the scholarship has been denied. My personal savings do not cover the whole cost and unless I have means of arranging for the rest of the sum, I do not think it is very wise for me to give the non refundable deposit.

Please don't mind me asking but is anyone of you considering taking loans? If yes, then do you have any information about study loans on easier terms. The study loan for my undergraduate was 4.75% p.a and did not start accruing interest till I graduated. Anything similar that you guys know of? I can't seem to find a lot of information on this on the web. I am particularly interested in the interest rate figures for international students.

Do let me know please. Reply here or pm me. This stands between me attending the course and not opting for it.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 02:19
Hi Everyone,

I had applied as part of R2 but several weeks before the R2 deadline (I applied on 14 December 2012). Does any one have any idea on whether Oxford wait the entire period mentioned for the interview decision dates. The website states that the Interview decisions deadline for R2 is 1 Feb 2013. Do Oxford start reaching out to R2 applicants once the application deadline is reached (11 Jan 2013), or do we have to wait until 1 Feb?

Am quite confused about this as I am also evaluating another application where I have been accepted. Hence, any help on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 02:27
No, based on past forum postings, the invitations are sent out around the date mentioned on website. You should expect the decision from Oxford around 1 Feb.
For R1, interview decision was communicated on 8 Nov (a day earlier than mentioned on website)

GoForIt wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I had applied as part of R2 but several weeks before the R2 deadline (I applied on 14 December 2012). Does any one have any idea on whether Oxford wait the entire period mentioned for the interview decision dates. The website states that the Interview decisions deadline for R2 is 1 Feb 2013. Do Oxford start reaching out to R2 applicants once the application deadline is reached (11 Jan 2013), or do we have to wait until 1 Feb?

Am quite confused about this as I am also evaluating another application where I have been accepted. Hence, any help on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 05:26
@bananapeelxyz

Thanks! I guess we have to wait until the end of January then.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 100
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 11:38
Ducksworth wrote:
I know I will not go to Oxford, but I still want to bring forward something that I have noticed.

Accepted candidates where added to a Google group and I have been receiving e-mails from future students that are introducing themselves. I read that at least two of them are still undegraduates, one of them mentioning that his/her only work experience so far has been a couple of summer internships! I am a bit disappointed that Saïd accepts students with such little experience. Doing an MBA is a great opportunity to learn from professors but even more from other students. Do any present or future students have any opinions on this?


That is astonishing. Would you be able to post any more info on the current class of 14?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 130
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 17:32
Ducksworth wrote:
I know I will not go to Oxford, but I still want to bring forward something that I have noticed.

Accepted candidates where added to a Google group and I have been receiving e-mails from future students that are introducing themselves. I read that at least two of them are still undegraduates, one of them mentioning that his/her only work experience so far has been a couple of summer internships! I am a bit disappointed that Saïd accepts students with such little experience. Doing an MBA is a great opportunity to learn from professors but even more from other students. Do any present or future students have any opinions on this?


Hmm, interesting finding!!

"HOLISTIC SELECTION" process in practice!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Said, IMD '15
GPA: 3.82
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 21:12
Hello everyone,

All the best for all thel R2 applicants.

wondering if there are any R3 applicants on the forum. Was planning for R2 but looks like I will miss the deadline... can someone throw some light on by what factor the chances are diminished in R3 against R3 (specifically for Said business school). I am aware that $$ and college choice is affected but not sure what is the impact apart from those two factors.

also, I am confused regarding the Job decsription scetion which is in the online application for Said. They have mentioned a 5000 char limit for that. Not sure how everyone else is addressing that section. Do we just write a job description essay or explain our job in form of bullet points .. just the way we do it in our CV. will be great if someone who has done it can throw some light.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 06:30
I don’t see it as an issue.
Based on my interaction with admission committee member during information session, SBS admits students with less (or no) experience if they are Rhodes scholars or applying for 1+1 MBA.
I have also seen other business schools admitting “a few” students for MBA who are way below average/median experience of that of other students.

Ducksworth wrote:
I know I will not go to Oxford, but I still want to bring forward something that I have noticed.

Accepted candidates where added to a Google group and I have been receiving e-mails from future students that are introducing themselves. I read that at least two of them are still undegraduates, one of them mentioning that his/her only work experience so far has been a couple of summer internships! I am a bit disappointed that Saïd accepts students with such little experience. Doing an MBA is a great opportunity to learn from professors but even more from other students. Do any present or future students have any opinions on this?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 130
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 17:42
bananapeelxyz wrote:
I don’t see it as an issue.
Based on my interaction with admission committee member during information session, SBS admits students with less (or no) experience if they are Rhodes scholars or applying for 1+1 MBA.
I have also seen other business schools admitting “a few” students for MBA who are way below average/median experience of that of other students.

Ducksworth wrote:
I know I will not go to Oxford, but I still want to bring forward something that I have noticed.

Accepted candidates where added to a Google group and I have been receiving e-mails from future students that are introducing themselves. I read that at least two of them are still undegraduates, one of them mentioning that his/her only work experience so far has been a couple of summer internships! I am a bit disappointed that Saïd accepts students with such little experience. Doing an MBA is a great opportunity to learn from professors but even more from other students. Do any present or future students have any opinions on this?


5. Relevant professional experience: Whilst most of our students have more than three years experience, we do consider those with less work experience. If this is the case, we look for candidates who are able to demonstrate a high level of maturity, combined with evidence of leadership ability.

The above is their written requirement. I truly hope they have prudent method to judge those demonstrations. But definitely it will be unfair and unethical to stick to silly issues for some deserving candidates and be liberal for some other candidate. Anyway, Bill Gate once said, the world is not perfect!!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 130
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 17:49
Another interesting piece of admission requirement to minimise the menace of the admission consultants

Plagiarism
As part of the admissions process the Saïd Business School may use a plagiarism detection system. This system screens any written work submitted as part of your application for plagiarism, paraphrasing and collusion. The plagiarism detection system will store on its database any written work submitted for screening. For the University’s definition of plagiarism, please click here.
If, in the opinion of the University, or any College of the University, any information or statement provided on this application form is not true, accurate, current and complete, or any supporting material is not entirely your own original work, except where clearly stated otherwise, the University, or any College of the University, retains the right to reject your application. If you have been made an offer by the University, or any College of the University, then the University, or any College of the University, may in these circumstances withdraw or amend that offer. If you have been admitted as a student, you may be subject to disciplinary action which could result in your expulsion from the University and your College.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 18:27
GoForIt wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I had applied as part of R2 but several weeks before the R2 deadline (I applied on 14 December 2012). Does any one have any idea on whether Oxford wait the entire period mentioned for the interview decision dates. The website states that the Interview decisions deadline for R2 is 1 Feb 2013. Do Oxford start reaching out to R2 applicants once the application deadline is reached (11 Jan 2013), or do we have to wait until 1 Feb?

Am quite confused about this as I am also evaluating another application where I have been accepted. Hence, any help on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers!


Just wanted to second this question. Anyone have any insight into whether R3 for Said is as difficult to get in as, say, R3 in US schools?
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3444
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 576 [0], given: 30

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 10:01
Expert's post
Round 3 is Round three, and the intake schedules are pretty much similar. So I'd suggest only applying if you are pretty obviously a strong candidate. Otherwise, don't hurt to wait a bit does it??
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 215

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 10:23
More people are introducing themselves in the Google group who are to yet to even complete an undergraduate degree. The most recent one has 1 summer internship of work experience. Period.

My intention with these posts are not to rant about anyone in particular, but I was VERY close to enrolling at Oxford and I would have felt very disappointed about getting there and then having in my group people with nearly zero business experience. Sure, they would have been "mature" and smart, but there are many more things that only come with actually working.

Anyway, since I am not accepting Oxford's offer I could have just ignored this, but I felt it would have been unethical of my part.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Said, IMD '15
GPA: 3.82
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 15:13
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Round 3 is Round three, and the intake schedules are pretty much similar. So I'd suggest only applying if you are pretty obviously a strong candidate. Otherwise, don't hurt to wait a bit does it??


Thanks Jon, but can you elaborate why do you say that .. is it coz no. of seats left after two round are very less... or is it coz quality of candidates in R3 is generally elevated... ofcourse in case of Said $$ and collage choice is affected which can be explained.. but I still do not get the reason behind why R3 is more compittitive that both the previous rounds?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2012
Posts: 32
Schools: Said (A), Judge (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 17:18
Ducksworth wrote:
More people are introducing themselves in the Google group who are to yet to even complete an undergraduate degree. The most recent one has 1 summer internship of work experience. Period.

My intention with these posts are not to rant about anyone in particular, but I was VERY close to enrolling at Oxford and I would have felt very disappointed about getting there and then having in my group people with nearly zero business experience. Sure, they would have been "mature" and smart, but there are many more things that only come with actually working.

Anyway, since I am not accepting Oxford's offer I could have just ignored this, but I felt it would have been unethical of my part.


As yet another candidate who almost matriculated at Oxford, I have some interest in the topic :-D . It's clear that the school does accept some undergraduate applicants for the 1+1 and what not... could it be that they just all seem to be introducing themselves at the same time? I mean, we know that the average age is 29 so those cases you mention are clearly the minority unless Said is also accepting a lot of 40 yr olds, which I seriously doubt. Probably just a case of small and therefore not representative sample size?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 215

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 17:39
Leftcoastguy wrote:
As yet another candidate who almost matriculated at Oxford, I have some interest in the topic :-D . It's clear that the school does accept some undergraduate applicants for the 1+1 and what not... could it be that they just all seem to be introducing themselves at the same time? I mean, we know that the average age is 29 so those cases you mention are clearly the minority unless Said is also accepting a lot of 40 yr olds, which I seriously doubt. Probably just a case of small and therefore not representative sample size?


Hi there!

All 1+1 candidates should in theory fulfill entry requirements for both programmes. IMO 6 months of work experience does not pass the smell test :(

Regardless, I think that among those that introduced themselves about 7% explicitly say they are still undergraduates. Most others just say where they are from, so this ratio could still be higher.
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2013, 17:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Said (Oxford) Class of 2015 Calling all Admitted Students! Narenn 0 31 Dec 2013, 09:34
64 Experts publish their posts in the topic Said (Oxford) Class of 2015 Calling all applicants! aa2012 264 25 Apr 2013, 07:46
Oxford MFE 2013 - Calling All Applicants rni 7 27 Jan 2013, 04:16
49 Experts publish their posts in the topic Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants yuva1michael 518 25 Jul 2011, 23:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  22    Next  [ 430 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.