Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Said (A), Judge (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 19:18
I see. And roughly how many people have introduced themselves in total?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 20:47
Ducksworth wrote:
Leftcoastguy wrote:
As yet another candidate who almost matriculated at Oxford, I have some interest in the topic :-D . It's clear that the school does accept some undergraduate applicants for the 1+1 and what not... could it be that they just all seem to be introducing themselves at the same time? I mean, we know that the average age is 29 so those cases you mention are clearly the minority unless Said is also accepting a lot of 40 yr olds, which I seriously doubt. Probably just a case of small and therefore not representative sample size?

Hi there!

All 1+1 candidates should in theory fulfill entry requirements for both programmes. IMO 6 months of work experience does not pass the smell test :(

Regardless, I think that among those that introduced themselves about 7% explicitly say they are still undergraduates. Most others just say where they are from, so this ratio could still be higher.

I do recruit a lot of fresh graduates and interns for my group. I have seen very few extraordinary fresh grads but what I can definitely tell that, it was discovered only after 3 to 6 months of close interaction.

It is atleast beyond my little capability to identify those extraordinary in few hours talk with even 50% probability. In few hours, I can find out that the candidate is good but I can not say for certain that the candidate is extraordinary. By the way, many scholars failed in our organisation and many diploma people excelled.

There are too many people who 'just talks' and 2 hours or so is too little time to verify the substance or authenticity. If I claim I handle 40mil funds, it is not easy to verify that.

By the way, I even think the 3 years minimum experience is too little to really "experience" management. To really be able to appreciate the bigger picture, the bigger issues, you need atleast 5-8 years of hands-on REAL experience, not IT or Accountancy ... people management for everything, from procurement to legal issue to Government permit.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 02:09
Ducksworth wrote:
About 65. At least 5 are undergrads.

quick question: how many of these 65 who introduced and the 5 undergards in particular do you think are in a situation similar to you... i.e. not going to accept the offer :)

i guess there are a lot of unknowns here!

btw I have 8 yrs work ex... do plan to accept the offer... but have not yet joined the group! there could be more like me as well :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 12:37
All Bay Area Applicants!! We are hosting an event tomorrow in San Francisco for prospective MBAs to meet and talk with past Oxford MBAs. This is a great event if you are considering applying, or already accepted and still deciding if Oxford is the right school for you. Please PM me directly if you want to attend!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 08:24
That topic was quite interesting and it made me read follow ups.
@Ducksworth: Now you know those yet to complete undergrads are from MFE and not MBA, what is your opinion now?

From your posts, I can see you've gotten admission in INSEAD. Congratulations :)
I think you have also read INSEAD FAQ about experience requirements.
You can also have a look at INSEAD career report. 8% of class has experience of 1-2 years. Now you mentioned, "I am a bit disappointed that Saïd accepts students with such little experience. Doing an MBA is a great opportunity to learn from professors but even more from other students". What do you think about this. Are you disappointed with INSEAD also?

Now as one who deals with INSEAD MBAs, both fresh from the oven and stale breads, on daily basis, let me ask a question. Do you really know what INSEAD will have in a batch of 1000?
Let me enlighten you. I've worked INSEAD MBAs whose pre-MBA experience was a few months. Mostly these MBAs would be from certain gender and from two Mediterranean countries who are overrepresented in INSEAD with respect to their overall population. Everyone knows it. Go figure.

Btw I don't have anything to do with INSEAD or Oxford. I found this post little odd and made me wonder about the analysis skills of prospective MBA pool.

Ducksworth wrote:
More people are introducing themselves in the Google group who are to yet to even complete an undergraduate degree. The most recent one has 1 summer internship of work experience. Period.

My intention with these posts are not to rant about anyone in particular, but I was VERY close to enrolling at Oxford and I would have felt very disappointed about getting there and then having in my group people with nearly zero business experience. Sure, they would have been "mature" and smart, but there are many more things that only come with actually working.

Anyway, since I am not accepting Oxford's offer I could have just ignored this, but I felt it would have been unethical of my part.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 19:00
gmatmbatroll wrote:
@Ducksworth:
Let me enlighten you.

:shock:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 20:01
:)
I'm also :shock: if you knew it but did not ask at other school forum
I'll be :shock: :shock: :shock: if you didn't even know that.
Ducksworth wrote:
gmatmbatroll wrote:
@Ducksworth:
Let me enlighten you.

:shock:
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 01:16
Dear R1ers,

One week to go before R2 interview calls would be sent; anxiety creeping in..
Pardon me if this question has already been answered:
Why is one required to send ones' original transcript or an attested copy to Said, If one is invited to the interview?
The final decisions would still be pending..
just curious..

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 10:31
@kaushinside

R2 applicant here in a similar dilemma. Wondering whether we can wait until the calls are out on Feb1 and then send in the transcripts.

I hold an indian undergraduate degree and a masters in the US. I can manage my masters transcript but the undergraduate transcripts involve a fair bit of running around. Confused!

Also, any idea when we can expect to hear from Cambridge?
Current Student

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 10:55
strangebrew wrote:
@kaushinside

R2 applicant here in a similar dilemma. Wondering whether we can wait until the calls are out on Feb1 and then send in the transcripts.

I hold an indian undergraduate degree and a masters in the US. I can manage my masters transcript but the undergraduate transcripts involve a fair bit of running around. Confused!

@strangebrew

Their email says: If you are invited for interview you will need to post a hard copy of your transcripts/marksheets. This can either be the originals or a certified copy.

Hence, we'll have to wait until the results are out before sending any docs to them..

If you receive an invite(i hope you do) you could send an email to them asking for some more time depending on your travel.
Perhaps, R1ers could throw some light on this matter..

p.s. Cambridge hasn't given a specific date.. no clue :(
Manager
Manager

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 22:23
Leftcoastguy wrote:
kaushinside wrote:
strangebrew wrote:
@kaushinside

@strangebrew

Their email says: If you are invited for interview you will need to post a hard copy of your transcripts/marksheets. This can either be the originals or a certified copy.

Hence, we'll have to wait until the results are out before sending any docs to them..

If you receive an invite(i hope you do) you could send an email to them asking for some more time depending on your travel.
Perhaps, R1ers could throw some light on this matter..

p.s. Cambridge hasn't given a specific date.. no clue :(

Strangebrew - I assume you have your original transcripts/marksheets with you? Just make copies and get those certified by any notary public in the US. Should be straightforward unless you are not in possession of your originals. Once you do this, just mail it to Oxford and it should reach them before your interview (you have a few weeks between the invitation and the interview). This is what I did and it worked fine.

Someone please explain the rationale of this unique behaviour
Current Student

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 23:24
@wouldbecrazy

i suppose they want to verify the authenticity of all the documentation before giving out a final call..
Manager
Manager

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 02:44
kaushinside wrote:
@wouldbecrazy

i suppose they want to verify the authenticity of all the documentation before giving out a final call..

That would be a filmsy excuse to complicate the already complicated process and incurring extra cost and hassle for nothing!!

Most of the schools does that during matriculation .. so they are not as smart as Said, right?

Too many people are selected in Said and many does not take the offer, for example Paras, Ducks, etc. Why to burden them as well as many people interviewed but not selected with this unnecessary step?

Is this followed for all candidates or followed for RANDOMLY selected few?

Did they received too many FAKE applications in the past so they had to take this additional step?

Assuming that there were fake applications in the past, for the time being suspending the ethical part, if those fake people were selected by Said and had to reject due to faking, then that either means educational transcripts does not truly depict a candidate or Said selection method is flawed.

MBA admission process is already not so straight forward and some schools are unnecessarily complicating the process without any practical gain. And the most serious issue, they are doing it selectively.

Sorry, I am not targeting Said, it is a general observation, applicable to quite a few schools.

Thoughts please
Current Student

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 02:51
wouldbecrazy wrote:
kaushinside wrote:
@wouldbecrazy

That would be a filmsy excuse to complicate the already complicated process and incurring extra cost and hassle for nothing!!

Most of the schools does that during matriculation .. so they are not as smart as Said, right?

Too many people are selected in Said and many does not take the offer, for example Paras, Ducks, etc. Why to burden them as well as many people interviewed but not selected with this unnecessary step?

Is this followed for all candidates or followed for RANDOMLY selected few?

Did they received too many FAKE applications in the past so they had to take this additional step?

Assuming that there were fake applications in the past, for the time being suspending the ethical part, if those fake people were selected by Said and had to reject due to faking, then that either means educational transcripts does not truly depict a candidate or Said selection method is flawed.

MBA admission process is already not so straight forward and some schools are unnecessarily complicating the process without any practical gain. And the most serious issue, they are doing it selectively.

Sorry, I am not targeting Said, it is a general observation, applicable to quite a few schools.

Thoughts please

am not advocating the practice, just trying to guess the purpose..
i agree that it is strange for any college to ask for these docs before the final decisions..
Manager
Manager

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 02:57
kaushinside wrote:
i agree that it is strange for any college to ask for these docs before the final decisions..

Sorry Bro, absolutely nothing against you. My apologies.

I was just questioning the whims of some schools.

And if you look at their personal data privacy standards, it is just pathetic. Most of the people there even never heard of it!! Some of the schools are openly showing personal information such as name, DOB, Passport No on their web. Not directly, but if you know how to get inside a website, it is so easy!!
Current Student

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 03:18
wouldbecrazy wrote:
kaushinside wrote:

Sorry Bro, absolutely nothing against you. My apologies.

I was just questioning the whims of some schools.

And if you look at their personal data privacy standards, it is just pathetic. Most of the people there even never heard of it!! Some of the schools are openly showing personal information such as name, DOB, Passport No on their web. Not directly, but if you know how to get inside a website, it is so easy!!

well, let's just hold our horses and hope they have a good reason for it.. :)

any idea how many applicants are there in the current round and what was the ratio of # of calls to total # of applicants last year?
Manager
Manager

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 07:50
kaushinside wrote:
well, let's just hold our horses and hope they have a good reason for it.. :)

any idea how many applicants are there in the current round and what was the ratio of # of calls to total # of applicants last year?

Great, keep that positive views always.
Current Student

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 08:40
Agree with everything except this:
Ducksworth wrote:
* So yes, as unusual as it sounds, you do need to send them original transcripts if you want to hear from them if you were accepted or not.

If you interview in person, you need to bring your original transcripts with you to show them. If you interview over the phone, you can send certified copies like I did and receive your final decision.

Last edited by Leftcoastguy on 25 Jan 2013, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 08:46
Leftcoastguy wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
* So yes, as unusual as it sounds, you do need to send them original transcripts if you want to hear from them if you were accepted or not.

If you interview in person, you need to bring your original transcripts with you to show them. If you interview over the phone, you can send certified copies like I did and receive your final decision. Please do not mail them original transcripts!

Maybe there is a difference in what we mean by original transcripts?

Where I was an undergrad, they would give you as many "official" transcripts as needed (for a small fee of course). They are just regular printed sheets of paper but in a nice and sealed envelope, signed across.
Current Student

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 10:10
Ducksworth wrote:
Leftcoastguy wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:

If you interview in person, you need to bring your original transcripts with you to show them. If you interview over the phone, you can send certified copies like I did and receive your final decision. Please do not mail them original transcripts!

Maybe there is a difference in what we mean by original transcripts?

Where I was an undergrad, they would give you as many "official" transcripts as needed (for a small fee of course). They are just regular printed sheets of paper but in a nice and sealed envelope, signed across.

You may be right - the definition changes with where you went to school. I was referring to the bond-paper printed, embossed original transcript which some schools give out - not those unlimited supply, sealed envelope ones. I'll edit my post above.
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2013, 10:10