Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 01:53
mansoorfarooqui wrote:
i think there would be one member from adcom and one alum.. not sure though

could be..
may be people from R1 could tell us?

p.s. i suppose you are going to choose delhi as your preferred location..?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 16

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 02:11
yes.. delhi is my first preference
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, INSEAD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 05:31
I got interview invitation yesterday.

What is better ? In Person interview or skype ?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.21

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 05:50
Has anyone received confirmation of an interview time? I sent in my request on Friday and am anxious to make travel plans
Current Student

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 07:23
crappyapp2 wrote:
Has anyone received confirmation of an interview time? I sent in my request on Friday and am anxious to make travel plans

nup..
not received yet..
i think they would send it latest by tomorrow if not today since the earliest date is 11th feb and they would want to give the applicants a week at least..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 05:38
Received confirmation today for Skype interview..Indian applicant based at Australia..
Current Student

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 03:22
well, the interviews for the current round begin tomorrow..
all the best to everyone..
it would be great if people consider posting tidbits about their interview experiences once they are done with their interview..

cheers!
Current Student

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 07:07
crappyapp2 wrote:
My interview is tomorrow- I'll try and jot some notes down and post them here afterward. I'm also going to an information session tonight, so I'll let y'all know if anything may be useful to you

all the best sir!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.53
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 19:35
crappyapp2 wrote:
My interview is tomorrow- I'll try and jot some notes down and post them here afterward. I'm also going to an information session tonight, so I'll let y'all know if anything may be useful to you

I was at the info session in NY tonight. Was it the same you visited? My interview is on Thursday. Keep us posted how yours goes.
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 13:01
Well, done with the interview. Didn't go well, but I can't really complain. Most of the questions I was asked dealt with why I want to do an MBA at this time, and specific questions about my area of specialty.
My words of advice: be ready to defend your answers- no matter how good you think your answers are, try to find every possible counterpoint just in case your interviewer disagrees with you. Also, DO NOT RAMBLE- concise and directed responses are much more effective than convoluted responses. If you don't know what to say, silence for a few seconds is much better than rambling. I know these are obvious tidbits, but during an important and somewhat intimidating interview, clear thoughts can be hard to come by.

Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.53
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 19:27
crappyapp2 wrote:
Well, done with the interview. Didn't go well, but I can't really complain. Most of the questions I was asked dealt with why I want to do an MBA at this time, and specific questions about my area of specialty.
My words of advice: be ready to defend your answers- no matter how good you think your answers are, try to find every possible counterpoint just in case your interviewer disagrees with you. Also, DO NOT RAMBLE- concise and directed responses are much more effective than convoluted responses. If you don't know what to say, silence for a few seconds is much better than rambling. I know these are obvious tidbits, but during an important and somewhat intimidating interview, clear thoughts can be hard to come by.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the tips. Good luck with the final decision.

My interview is tomorrow, same place. I thought the info session was OK, not much new information or anything surprizing.
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 01:37
argh- just got my rejection letter haha- and before everyone starts panicking to check your e-mails, I requested an early final decision because of some extenuating circumstances

if anyone has any remaining questions of what not to do during the interview, feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer them

Good luck everyone!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 04:38
crappyapp2 wrote:
argh- just got my rejection letter haha- and before everyone starts panicking to check your e-mails, I requested an early final decision because of some extenuating circumstances

if anyone has any remaining questions of what not to do during the interview, feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer them

Good luck everyone!

Sorry to read that. So I reckon you are off to Cornell?
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 04:41
I got admission offer from HEC Paris with a scholarship of 12,000 Euros and I am supposed to pay 1st installment of around 6000 Euros by 6th March. However, my oxford interview is also scheduled on 4th March. So what I should do ? Is there any possibility of extending the deadline ?

What are the chances of Scholarship at Oxford ?

When normally oxford announces their R2 results ?

Which schools is better , HEC Paris or Oxford business school ?

Regards
Current Student

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 04:49
Fraz wrote:
I got admission offer from HEC Paris with a scholarship of 12,000 Euros and I am supposed to pay 1st installment of around 6000 Euros by 6th March. However, my oxford interview is also scheduled on 4th March. So what I should do ? Is there any possibility of extending the deadline ?

Regards

Hi Fraz!

Congratulations on ur admission and scholarship!

according to the website, the results of stage2 will be out on 15th March 2013.
http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/degrees/mba/Pages/process.aspx

I think the answer to the question - which one is better - depends on what you want out of the program and after that..

You could either send an email to HEC requesting for an extension of 10 days to pay the first installment or
ask the oxford adcom to give you the result quickly(crappyapp2 could help you out on this one since he has done this already)..
Current Student
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37
Followers: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 06:12
Fraz wrote:

Regards

Hi Fraz,

Before commenting on your questions, let me clarify that some of your questions are subjective in nature and the answer will differ form person to person. The best person to take the final call on those is YOU.
Nevertheless, as a co-applicant and an Said admit I am providing some insight :-

Is there any possibility of extending the deadline ?
Yes, the adcoms are very accommodating in giving an earlier decision. They will surely be giving you an earlier decision if you ask them.

SLIM. very SLIM. I am yet to meet an oxford admit who has recd. $$$ (even those with GMAT 750+)

Check the website dates. Going by the past trend, there should be no deviation from the mentioned dates.

Personal choice. But sharing some thoughts on your case. For Oxford- Great Brand value in whole world (even in US or in Asia), Great diversity in class (Geographical as well as sector wise), Chance to study in Oxford for 1 year - The Highest seat of learning in the modern era
For HEC - Good brand value in France ( nothing beats HEC if you want to work in France post qualification), Good $$$ offered to you

Hope this helps

Let Difficulties know that you too are difficult

if you want the rainbow,you gotta put up with the rain

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 13:49
Fraz wrote:

Regards

Let HEC know you need an extension. Also, tell Oxford you need an answer very soon. I would let Oxford know about HEC offering you a big scholarship. This might help you leverage on the scholarship to get something out of Oxford.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 00:31
Hi can someone let me know if notarised copies of transcripts are sufficient for the purpose of sending the transcripts or the originals from the university is required
Current Student

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 01:19
gspk wrote:
Hi can someone let me know if notarised copies of transcripts are sufficient for the purpose of sending the transcripts or the originals from the university is required

notarized copies of transcripts are fine..
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 05:13
Hi kaushinside, Paras123;

Thanks for writing back to me. What I have come to know is

1. Oxford has stronger brand name even outside UK and Europe. But they offer little scholarship. Their MBA will be complete in 12 months but no chances of Exchange program.

2. HEC has better ranking than Oxford. Program is completed over 16 months and offers opportunity for exchange program. Scholarships are also a plus but overall language can be a constraint.

So still hanging in the middle..

Can some highlight the areas of expertise of these two schools.. Like which one is better in consultancy , management or entrepreneurship etc...

Regards
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2013, 05:13