Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.53
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
ydm wrote:
Have you tried to politely ask for a second interview? Given the circumstances, that might be a possibility. I fully agree that interviews are somehwat limiting, which is why employers typically want you to interview with 4-5 people before making an offer. That way you are evaluated by a variety of perspectives.

As I mentioned, that school was my backup and by that time I already had offer from my preferred schools. I do not believe in BEGGING. Having said that, I have never shown such attitude and I was as serious as one should be in the interviews.

What happened is, I got an impression that the school's standard is too LOW!!, too low to be even a third tier school in UK. And my impression was proved when I complained to the dean of the school and that fellow too had no basic courtesy to acknowledge, forget about an apology or email reply. I, myself manage customer service too and I know how unprofessional and arrogant was the action by the Dean.

And no wonder, why the school has gone down the drain over the period!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Some of of you had sent me personal messages. I apologize for not being able to reply. This term has been crazy so far. One of these days, I will get to them. I logged in today for a specific reason.

It was an interview day today. Some of you were given this opportunity to sit in a Operations Management class as guests. Please understand that you are here to observe and experience a MBA class. Students have spent hours preparing for a case to discuss in the class. While I understand your enthusiasm to speak and contribute from your experience, it takes away airtime from students and ends up being a distraction than a meaningful contribution.

To the gentleman who had his cell phone ringer on - please silence your cell phone when you attend a class.

To the gentleman who didn't have a tie on. Good luck with your other interviews. From a personal experience, you have a better chance of making a good impression during your interview, if you dress professionally.

Some of these may seem too obvious, but, unfortunately, I had to point these out.

Originally posted by sanjuro9 on 25 Feb 2013, 10:03.
Last edited by sanjuro9 on 25 Feb 2013, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
wouldbecrazy wrote:
ydm wrote:
I interviewed with a professor and overall do not have a good feeling. The majority of the questions were around the industry that I come from and its interaction with the society, ethical dilemmas and pretty in-depth discussion of recent events. I could tell that the interviewed had prepared to quiz me specifically on industry topics that he expected that I know in depth, based on my current position, but also challenged me to understand how I think about the big picture. However, the questions and overall tone was very academic. I was left feeling that my practical responses were not exactly what the interviewer was asking for. Advise - read the news and think about the big picture.

On a couple of instances I tried to change the topic, bringing in the typical why MBA, why now and why Oxford, but the interviewer did not appear interested. I think these questions were already answered pretty well within the essays, so maybe they didn't need to be brought-up.

Any questions, PM me...

Bro, it was not that bad, atleast you were able to communicate ... I had an interview (not in OxBridge) where the interviewer was unable to speak 2 sentences!!

Read the interesting episode here interviews-from-the-hell-146339.html

In this context, I truly appreciate what David from Cranfield told me during my interviews. He was very upfront to set the context of the interviews and very clearly mentioned that interviews is a very crucial part of the selection process. He then mentioned why they engage only few senior people to conduct the interviews and never ever engage any alumni or some random professor.

They want to keep the consistency and they want to give fair and equal chance to everyone. It is so unfair to kill someone's hard work and aspiration just by one careless action.

It was really so touching as just a couple of days back I had that hellish and frustrating encounter with a stupid! And that simple statement from David elevated Cranfield few notches higher in my mind. It is not about loud talk on HOLISTIC selection process, but it is about small ACTION.

@wouldbecrazy - I don't really mean to engage in a dialogue with you. My class is comprised of students from 50 different countries and about 70% of class can't claim to have English to be their first language. You are right about fit. You should look for a school with more uniform student body.

On a side note, in the real business world, in most circumstances communication doesn't usually go the way you have planned. How you steer the uncomfortable situation to your advantage and get your message across determines your success.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
paras123 wrote:
What are the chances of Scholarship at Oxford ?
SLIM. very SLIM. I am yet to meet an oxford admit who has recd. $$$ (even those with GMAT 750+)

Incorrect. There are many who receive scholarship of some form. Its not automatic and its not based on your GMAT score alone. My flatmate is one of the Skollars and has full funding.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Round 3 is Round three, and the intake schedules are pretty much similar. So I'd suggest only applying if you are pretty obviously a strong candidate. Otherwise, don't hurt to wait a bit does it??

I mostly agree with Jon here. However, if you have a compelling story, strong application and why you can't wait another year, I say you should definitely give it a go. I am sure Jon can help you out here too... ;)

PS: This post in no way is an endorsement of this or any other consulting service. I was a R3 applicant myself last year and I was able to get admitted at 2 out 3 programs I submitted an application for.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM

Originally posted by Kohsamed on 25 Feb 2013, 11:45.
Last edited by Kohsamed on 25 Feb 2013, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kohsamed wrote:
Hilarious, which century are you typing from? Hardly anyone that turns up to interview at my investment bank wears a tie
Admittedly I would wear a tie to an MBA interview and play it safe, but for you to suggest that not wearing a tie is unprofessional is somewhat idiotic.

Insults are completely out of order. Let's keep it civilised.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes, you are correct. Just seemed somewhat out of order to imply that another applicant was unprofessional and ruined his chances by failing to wear a tie.

Quote:
"Good luck with your other interviews."

I do hope the guy gets an admit!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
I lead my life according to Barney's teachings... so I would say "Suit up!"

My interview at Said and other schools meant wearing a tie for the first time in a few years!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Well, on a different topic- I had my interview on 25th..But immediately after the interview started we started to face connection issues. The call dropped for 4 times in 6 minutes :-( !!

Finally on suggestion of the interviewer, I rescheduled my interview on 11-March which is so close to the decision date..

Now I am kind of worried due to this- its so close to the 15-March decision date that there would be hardly any time left after my interview is finished on 11th..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
I feel like this forum has been a great source of helpful advice and camaraderie- people that post are only trying to help you get accepted, so let's all play nicely and hope for the best
MagicC- think of it this way- it's much better to have a less stressful interview later in the cycle than a stressful, interrupted interview earlier. Take it as a blessing to prepare for an extra 2 weeks and make sure you have great answers for the questions the interviewer already posed to you. Maybe try to extrapolate from those questions to guess what might be follow-ups so you can really shine on the 11th
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sanjuro9 wrote:
@wouldbecrazy - I don't really mean to engage in a dialogue with you. My class is comprised of students from 50 different countries and about 70% of class can't claim to have English to be their first language. You are right about fit. You should look for a school with more uniform student body.

On a side note, in the real business world, in most circumstances communication doesn't usually go the way you have planned. How you steer the uncomfortable situation to your advantage and get your message across determines your success.

I too have no intention to engage in any conversation with you. But since you responded specifically to me I need to clear your facts very clear.

I have not said the incidence was with OxBridge.

It does not matter 50 different countries or people from Mars. When you are taking a responsible task, be capable of doing a decent job. If you are not comfortable, don't play with another person's life. This is called responsibility, ethics!!

In normal world, when people talk, they atleast CATCH something, even in sign language!! But then again, we are not talking to someone from the street, we are talking about someone who supposed to evaluate another person!! How are you going to evaluate another person when you are unable to catch even 20% of what has been explained?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
magiccapofnix wrote:
Well, on a different topic- I had my interview on 25th..But immediately after the interview started we started to face connection issues. The call dropped for 4 times in 6 minutes :-( !!

Finally on suggestion of the interviewer, I rescheduled my interview on 11-March which is so close to the decision date..

Now I am kind of worried due to this- its so close to the 15-March decision date that there would be hardly any time left after my interview is finished on 11th..

Hi magiccapofnix.

I had a similar experience with my interview which was on the same date..
Even my interview has been postponed to 11th March..

Although I had prepared a lot and had made specific arrangements for the interview, I am kinda relieved with the postponement.

We now have some more time to prepare for the interview and will not have to wait as much as the other applicants.. :)

btw, just to clear the air about the stature of the interviewers at Oxford, mine was taken by
https://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/research/fellows/Pages/GrantPhillips.aspx

I would have loved to have the interview continued.

Anyway,

hoping that i survive the the existing stress levels..

cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Even i would hv loved to continue the interview. Now i really dont know whether 11th March is better than yesterday..

Btw same interviewer for me..

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
bikermba wrote:
I interviewed yesterday in LA and attended an information session.

First off the interview was perhaps the most rigorous that I have experienced so far. My interviewer was familiar with my entire file, and showed considerable skill at getting at my motivations, judgement and aptitude. I think that the interview went well (hopefully). For those of you who are yet to interview, make sure that you know your file and be prepared to answer some tough questions.

During the information session, a very compelling case was made for the Oxford MBA. There were quite a few alumni in attendance, and their enthusiasm for the program came through. It was also quite apparent that they had all gone off to accomplish some fairly impressive things in the short time since graduating.

If you are on the fence about Oxford, and you get a chance to go to one of these events I would highly recommend it.

If accepted, would you go to Haas or Saïd?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Interviewed yesterday with Grant on skype - exact 30 minutes interview.standard questions, why MBA, now, oxford, leadership questions, career progression, where do you want to work, pretty standard interview. Had some problems in reception in skype, but was okay for the rest.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
I know this isn't the correct forum, but I'm looking for unbiased advice, so I thought this board is as good as any: would you prefer going to a more well-known school and earn an MMS (Master in Management) or a less well known school and earn an MBA? My future goals are in flux, but as it looks currently, I think my future will be more in managing an organization as opposed to consulting/marketing/accounting/finance. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  22   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts