Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 06:47
The official acceptance email will go out to everyone on the 15th of March for R2. For those who requested an early decision, Oxford informed you whether the school intends to make you an offer--yes/no. But even if the answer was "yes", it is still not the official acceptance email and you are explicitly informed that the official email and all its details will be received on the 15th. Hope this helps.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 08:24
Munkeh wrote:
Hey all, just wondering what people's views are with respect to Said vs Judge and how they decided on one over the other....

For most people (incl. recruiters), it's probably pretty much the same thing.

My time was limited before the March 8 deadline so I had to choose which one I should I apply to.

Ranking/reputation differences are marginal and shouldn't influence your decision (though that Cambridge didn't make it to the BW-ranking can be held against them, but I don't think it makes a difference for European recruiting).

For me three factors made it:

Cambridge average age is a bit higher, people have a bit more work experience
Oxford places a bit more in Finance (~30% vs 20% at Cambridge)
It feels like Cambridge has a stronger focus on entrepreneurship than Oxford

Since I am on the younger side for both schools, am interested in a career in Finance and have no immediate entrepreneurial ambitions, I applied to Oxford.
Current Student
Schools: Said (A), Judge (M)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 19:53
FifthEmu wrote:
Munkeh wrote:
Hey all, just wondering what people's views are with respect to Said vs Judge and how they decided on one over the other....

For most people (incl. recruiters), it's probably pretty much the same thing.

My time was limited before the March 8 deadline so I had to choose which one I should I apply to.

Ranking/reputation differences are marginal and shouldn't influence your decision (though that Cambridge didn't make it to the BW-ranking can be held against them, but I don't think it makes a difference for European recruiting).

For me three factors made it:

Cambridge average age is a bit higher, people have a bit more work experience
Oxford places a bit more in Finance (~30% vs 20% at Cambridge)
It feels like Cambridge has a stronger focus on entrepreneurship than Oxford

Since I am on the younger side for both schools, am interested in a career in Finance and have no immediate entrepreneurial ambitions, I applied to Oxford.

I agree with most of what you say except the Entrepreneurship part - that I think is debatable. Overall, I think both schools are very good and I had a tough time making the choice. For what it's worth, this is what I posted to answer the same question in the Cambridge thread:

Quote:
There is lots to like and little to dislike in each program so in the end it came down to these parameters:
Fit - My interest lies in Healthcare and Consulting, areas in which Judge scores higher or equal to Oxford in my opinion. Said's program leans towards Finance and Entrepreneurship and this was very evident when I heard the program director Stephan Chambers speak during a reception last month.
Program Structure - More practical, consulting-based projects, especially the CVP which is earlier in program means that I have something to put on my resume before Consulting recruitment begins in Feb/March. This is important for someone like me looking to switch into consulting with zero past experience in that field. On the other hand, I was never completely convinced that the compulsory Entrepreneurship project at Said would be as valuable to me.
Diversity - My life so far has been split between India and the US so I would have very easily fit in with the student body as Said, where close to 50% of the students are from these two countries alone. However, I felt that I needed to step out of this comfort zone and meet people from other countries in Asia and Europe, which Judge has in spades.
Personal Attention - I have found the Cambridge Admissions staff to be a lot more engaged during the entire application process. The Admissions staff maintain blogs, answer questions directly in this and other forums and voluntarily facilitate conversations between candidates on Facebook even before accepting them. They are a lot more open to "public" questioning, which means being able to take both bouquets and brickbats. I found the Oxford Admissions process was significantly more opaque. You would be right to argue that the Admissions staff may not necessarily be reflective of the school itself but my contact with students and alumni leads to believe that they are.
Money Matters - There is a lot more scholarship money to be had from Cambridge. I was a fortunate recipient of a bursary award and there are more scholarships to apply for in 2013.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 06:26
All the best for R2 applicants! Announcement by Said "The Stage 2 decisions will be released this afternoon, by the latest, 5pm!"

I have applied in R3 - long wait!
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 06:50
The results are out guys. Got one more ding. :(
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 07:05
I am IN... Decision released at around 2:40 PM GMT
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 07:24
voila!!!

I am in! :-D
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 12

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
I am in as well.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 08:00
I am also in!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.94
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 08:14
Fortunate to be accepted! anyone else from Melbourne?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 08:49
Congrats to all those accepted! Out of curiosity has anyone received a separate email regarding Said scholarships? The acceptance email mentions "within three days".
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 09:29
I explicitly asked about scholarship via email and was told the following:

The Said scholarship emails have been sent out already so I’m afraid if you didn’t get an email then you won’t have been awarded a scholarship. If you applied for any other scholarships you will hear from them separately as they are not administered by the Business School.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Said (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Sales (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 19

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 09:51
So if I didn't get an email for an interview from them yet I am out? :(

editeditedit:
Never mind :lol:

Hodor?

Kudo!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 09:54
Thank you tina83517 for the information.

I did not get any email regarding scholarships either. I have already submitted my first Cambridge deposit. Now I am torn between choosing the two!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 11:01
Strange to note that all Said scholarships have already been awarded. I wonder why they would mention "within 3 days" in the admit email.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Said (A), Judge (A)

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 11:08
I agree, does seem a little odd. I am 99% sure I am going to accept the Judge offer. Their admissions team have been head and shoulders above the Said team. I also much prefer the format of the Judge programme with the wider number of core courses and more project work. It is always interesting to hear other people's opinions though.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 19:01
Congratulations to all those who got in!

And good luck to all the others!
Hope your MBA pursuit ends with success very soon!

I really found the admission process at Said to be much more open and friendly than at other places..
And I am really delighted by the prospect of studying at Oxford..

Cheers!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 19

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 20:30
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to all R2 admits and best of luck to unsuccessful applicants for their further apps. As a R1 applicant, I take this opportunity to invite the new admits to the Facebook group. We have a bunch of current students @ SBS and the R1 admits as members of the group there building a good rapport for the upcoming class. So if you intend to accept the SBS offer, send me your group join request along with the snap shot of the admit mail. http://www.facebook.com/groups/oxford2014/

Let Difficulties know that you too are difficult

if you want the rainbow,you gotta put up with the rain

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 00:48
Anyone else waiting for today's interview decisions? do you know what time they will come out?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 01:14
I am waiting as well for the interview decision, I got an email just few days back with the following premise:

"We will be in touch with you shortly after the interview decision deadline (22nd March) with the decision."

I am hoping shortly will be end of today and not after the weekend...
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2013, 01:14