Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxford Said

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Said, Judge, HEC, Cornell, Darden, Columbia, Notre Dame, NYU, Kellog, INSEAD, Emory
WE 1: Consulting at Big 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Oxford Said [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 11:50
Hi,

I would like to know why people pick Said and how the recruiting is there in finance especially? It is my #1 school pick because I want to work in London, has a good finance program and is reputed for entrepreneurship.

My fear is that I won't score above 700 on the GMAT, I started slowly studying (5hrs a week) and have been scoring around 550 more or less. My goal is to score between 650-700.

A little bit about my background, I am an international, currently working in Financial Risk Management consulting in the US (about 3 years), lived in 2 countries, speak 3 languages fluently, traveled the world etc...However I don't have much leadership involvement besides being member of a few organizations and organizing quarterly basketball tournaments at work. I want to live in London and eventually around the world, this is why I am not applying to US business schools, but I get the feeling that recruiting is much better in the US.

Do you guys think - 3-4 years of exp at very respectable consulting firm, 670 on the GMAT, 3.1 overall GPA, 3.6 in finance at top 100 US school, involvment in organizations but no leadership potions- would be enough to get into Said? I am pretty sure I can write good essays and get good recommendations.

I would greatly appreciate feedback.

Thank you
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Oxford'11
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: Oxford Said [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 23:34
I picked Oxford for: 1. top European 1y MBA program; 2. close to London 3. brand - Oxford Univ. is known all over the globe, even in non-business environments. I don't have inside info for this year, from 2008 recruitment report the biggest share was the financial industry (29%), followed by consulting (25%). I'm waiting for the 2009 report.

Facts: from this year admits which I know, most of those who are not native English speakers have GMATs below 700 (including me). There are folks with 650, 660 and 670 - so I would not consider a problem a GMAT score between 650-700. Also, there is a significant number of admits of 24,25, and 26 years old with working experience of 3-5 years.

IMHO you should not bother about lack of leadership or extra-curricular activities (I have none to worth be mentioned) but focus on what you learnt from your international experience, how living and working in different environments (countries, clients, industries?) changed the way you think and how you could contribute with this diverse experience to the class. Also, you should be crystal clear why you need an MBA, why now and why SBS. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Said, Judge, HEC, Cornell, Darden, Columbia, Notre Dame, NYU, Kellog, INSEAD, Emory
WE 1: Consulting at Big 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford Said [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 09:41
Thank you for your reply. Could you please provide information about your background (age, years of exp, undergraduate degree)?

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Schools: Oxford'11
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: Oxford Said [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 08:24
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford Said [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 05:21
I picked Oxford SBS, for:

1. The strength of the university's brand, in Europe and worldwide
2. The programme format (not only 1-year but grouped into intense, but shorter, terms)
3. The once in a lifetime chance to experience the traditions and history of Oxford.
4. Visiting the school really impressed me. It was a cutting edge place: it's not some b-school hanging onto its famous parent's coattails. No, this is Oxford University deploying its money and expertise into building a world-class b-school.
Re: Oxford Said   [#permalink] 21 May 2010, 05:21