Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Other
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Economics, Economics
Send PM
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Hi all, I am new here and wanted to apply for SBS R3. I have a question regarding academic grades for Oxford. I received my Bachelor's degree in Europe and Master's in the UK. When I tried to input the degree results in the application form, I noticed the I could easily select a "Pass with Merit" for my UK Master's but the "EU Bachelor of Science" degree only allowed me to put in "Pass with Distinction" and "Ordinary Pass". The Italian university I attended only award 5% of the class "Cum Laude" which I unfortunately did not receive, but my Bachelor's grade are good enough to be equivalent to a 2:1 in the UK.

I am worried that if I choose "Ordinary Pass", the admission committee might think my grades were below 2:2, which is what "Ordinary Pass" refers to in the UK. Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, I'd be grateful for any advice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bananaboat wrote:
Hi all, I am new here and wanted to apply for SBS R3. I have a question regarding academic grades for Oxford. I received my Bachelor's degree in Europe and Master's in the UK. When I tried to input the degree results in the application form, I noticed the I could easily select a "Pass with Merit" for my UK Master's but the "EU Bachelor of Science" degree only allowed me to put in "Pass with Distinction" and "Ordinary Pass". The Italian university I attended only award 5% of the class "Cum Laude" which I unfortunately did not receive, but my Bachelor's grade are good enough to be equivalent to a 2:1 in the UK.

I am worried that if I choose "Ordinary Pass", the admission committee might think my grades were below 2:2, which is what "Ordinary Pass" refers to in the UK. Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, I'd be grateful for any advice.

Hmm, I would reach out to the admission committee and ask.

If i were in your shoes, if your bachelors grades were truly equivalent to a UK 2:1, then i would put that, but then add in the explanation field that your italian grades are the equivalent. The admission committee will look at your grades in the transcript stage anyhow. So I am not sure how much that would really sway them either way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Send PM
Just submitted the application. Now the waiting starts
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi all,

I am thinking of applying in Round 3. Anyone know if there is a significant reduction in chances of admission compared to r1 and r2? Any anecdotal evidence?

If I am not successful, possibly due to this decreased chance in r3, would it hinder my chances if I had to re-apply in 6-8 months for r1/r2 of 2013 intake?

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Hi All, anyone have an idea of when Interview requests for R2s might come out? not sure what type of schedule SBS goes by.
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 2.9
WE:Research (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
hi everyone,

congrats to all who have been admitted so far...

quick question, I'm looking to apply in R3 but am struggling a bit with essay 2...I'm not sure if it should be business related event or book?? as different events can influence in different ways depending on the context, are they looking for a specific context here?

my profile is GPA 2.9/GMAT 700/ 5Y WE in Banking, Finance/

thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ahp1111 wrote:
hi everyone,

quick question, I'm looking to apply in R3 but am struggling a bit with essay 2...I'm not sure if it should be business related event or book?? as different events can influence in different ways depending on the context, are they looking for a specific context here?

thanks in advance.

Hey ahp1111,

In terms of Essay 2, I personally don't think it needs to be business related at all. I wrote mine about an event that happened last year that has basically challenged a belief i had and how this has changed my thoughts and actions now and in the future... totally not business related. :)

Good luck, it was a tough essay for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Send PM
Gmanster wrote:
ahp1111 wrote:
hi everyone,

thanks in advance.

It is totally upto you. I wrote about a recent development in my field which has influenced my thinking and my future career plans. One suggestion is that whatever you choose to write, make it clear that why it influenced you.

Hey ahp1111,

In terms of Essay 2, I personally don't think it needs to be business related at all. I wrote mine about an event that happened last year that has basically challenged a belief i had and how this has changed my thoughts and actions now and in the future... totally not business related. :)

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
They're still processing applications. Mines on hold since they didnt get all my materials. I think the real consideration process starts in Feb. Any US applicants on here? Has anyone attended Said events in New York? How does SBS stackup against the Top 20 US schools? What about against the Top 10?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.45
WE:Real Estate (Other)
Send PM
I submitted my app on Jan 20th and got an email the following Tuesday saying it was complete and forwarded to the admissions committee.

I haven't gone to any events, but I plan to attend the NYC session later in February if I get an interview.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 2.9
WE:Research (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Gmanster wrote:
ahp1111 wrote:
hi everyone,

thanks in advance.

Hey ahp1111,

Hi Gmanster,

Thanks for your assistance. This one will require quite a bit of thinking, it's a very tricky essay...!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Dreamer1 wrote:
They're still processing applications. Mines on hold since they didnt get all my materials. I think the real consideration process starts in Feb. Any US applicants on here? Has anyone attended Said events in New York? How does SBS stackup against the Top 20 US schools? What about against the Top 10?

Hey dreamer

Sbs admitted student here (and will be attending next year). I think the answer to your question really depends on where you want to work post mba. Is it europe or the us? If it's Europe, then you have 2 obvious advantages. 1. Geo proximity for interviews and networking, and 2. UK visa to transition you into the UK workforce (should you secure an offer).

Also if you are a career switcher, a one yr program will likely pose a greater challenge because you'll not only have to know exact ly what you want to do, you'll also have to start networking right away. Especially if your focus is Finance, as the recruiting cycle begins in September (2 year program people typically start their search in beginning of 2nd year semester -- you won't have the same time lag at Oxford, so you'll need to zone in on that right away).

In terms of reputation, my personal thought is that everyone knows the oxford brand just as everyone knows the top 10 us schools. Schools can only get your foot in the door with interviews, but its really up to you to close the deal. I dont see how a stellar oxford grad would be at a disadvantage against a stellar columbia grad. Oxford has the same reputation impact in the world as an Ivy League degree would (and this is coming from someone who has an Ivy degree). In my humble opinion, what you need to look at is the employment report. If you have a few targeted firms in mind, then check to see if they recruit at Oxford. If let's say Firm A recruits at Wharton, but not at Oxford, and you REALLY REALLY want to work for Firm A, then obviously, you should probably consider Wharton more strongly than Oxford. And vice versa.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Oh btw, about Said events in NY. I actually attended a Said info session 4 years ago when I used to live in NY, then again in DC a year ago. And next year, I am finally going! :)

If you can attend, you absolutely should. And ask the admission staff all of the questions you just asked in this forum.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share with you the latest MBA rankings from the Financial Times, Oxford has moved back up to 20th. Another interesting stat to note is a solid improvement in the 3 month employment percentage which is always a good sign, right? :)

https://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... kings-2012
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Officially declined my Said offer today. best of luck everyone!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
LSEguy wrote:
Officially declined my Said offer today. best of luck everyone!

Best of luck to you. Which school did you decide on?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi all, does anyone have an idea of when we should expect to hear back for R2 interviews?

Looking back over the past few years, the deadlines were Feb 4th 2011 (Jan 14th application deadline) and Feb 5th 2010 (Jan 15th application deadline). Both years its been about 3 weeks after the application deadline which means we should hear back on Feb 10th.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  27   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts