Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Posts: 90
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 07:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
Personally I had a positive outlook on SBS, and both the interview and Open day reinforced my views.

My interviewer was way more informed and prepared than the INSEAD interviewers. (Who hadn't even bothered to read my application. One actually offered to help me with other applications should i not have made it into INSEAD)

Throughout the open day I saw pretty much what i expected. The career people are there to help but won't do your CV for you or call up their network to get you a job (to be expected). Students were happy with their work, said it was a crazy time (i'm sure they are freaking busy all week long), but that there is time to play if you can schedule it right.

I think the best thing i got out of this was that most of the current students went in (contrary to their application essay) with a vague idea of what they want to get out, but worked it out during their 1 year.

That's just my opinion, anyone else care to add?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2011
Posts: 380
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 29

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 12:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
djf32 wrote:
Just curious, did your opinion of SBS change (for the better or worse) after the interview day at Oxford?


I went to the Admit Open Day and my opinion of SBS went up afterwards. It was positive to begin with, but after Open Day, i was really taken by them. (which poses a very difficult choice between SBS and INSEAD). I think SBS is a great program in a fantastic setting with easy access to the London job market.
_________________

*******************************************************************
~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~
*******************************************************************

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2011
Posts: 11
Location: Canada
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 14:29
I finished the interview day at Oxford (still writing from Oxford) today. I had a realistic expectation of what it would be like, and it didn't disappoint me. The interview process is fairly straight forward--just the normal, expected interview questions. They do very well in making sure you feel welcome.

What was eye opening was the diverse aspect of the program - afterwards, a group of us (interviewees) were sitting together for lunch with current students - it was a mix of nationalities including US, Canada, Germany, Netherlands, New Zealand, and India.

Afterwards, a sit-in on a current class was quite interesting, and the level of discussion taking place was what you would expect.

Most of all, Oxford the city for me was quite attractive, and it's a much bigger, livelier city than I expected.

Though I'm not certain how it will turn out on decision day on the 23rd, it was a great experence. Best of luck to those currently interviewing and those currently applying.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Posts: 90
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 16:02
enkie wrote:
djf32 wrote:
Just curious, did your opinion of SBS change (for the better or worse) after the interview day at Oxford?


I went to the Admit Open Day and my opinion of SBS went up afterwards. It was positive to begin with, but after Open Day, i was really taken by them. (which poses a very difficult choice between SBS and INSEAD). I think SBS is a great program in a fantastic setting with easy access to the London job market.


I know how you feel enkie. After going through the application process and getting to know more about Said, I actually really like the school. And although still young, i'm SURE this school is going to go up the ranking (not that it really matters to be honest, everyone has heard of Oxford and its an instant "wow")

At the end of the day, would you like to be more, a consultant or entrepreneur? And where would you be interested in working after.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 19
Location: Australia
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 16:10
I would also be interested to hear what peoples thoughts are about Oxford MBA and then wanting to work in Asia. Will it be difficult given the careers service would have mainly European links? The brand value ot Oxbridge in APAC is high, but what about accessibility?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2010
Posts: 14
Location: London, UK
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 02:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks to everyone who've shared their experiences here. You're a star !
I had my interview yesterday. Here's my debrief if it helps anyone now or in future :)

How to get there
I don't live far from Oxford so it was a short journey by train for me.
However, if you are flying into Heathrow, take the Heathrow express to Paddington (you may see the statue of paddington bear as well :P ) .
Then take the First Great Western train to/toward Oxford. If you are pressed for time, make sure you check the route. I think some trains stop at more stations and some only at 2 or 3, obviously faster. Trains are quite frequent. You may want to buy same-day return if you are coming back to London. When you walk out of station, you can see the school in front of you just 2 mins away.

Another option is to take a bus to Reading and then a train to Oxford.

There may be direct bus connections from Heathrow to Oxford. Please check on http://www.nationalexpress.co.uk

Trains can be checked on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

You can also take Oxford tube from London Victoria (I think but please search online) but I don't know where it stops in Oxford.

I love trains and the scenery on the way is pretty nice as you approach Oxford. So, I would advise you to take train to enjoy some nice views.

Weather
It was bloody windy and I always find Oxford a bit colder than London. So, do check the weather on http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2640729

Questions
The questions were usual - why MBA, why now, why oxford, professional challenge (failure), long-term and short-term goals, which other schools etc.

Interviewer
My interviewer was amazing. She had read my app before and was well informed.
Very polite, very professional. It was very conversational. She kept asking questions but all in the flow.

School
The school is amazing. My Ad-Com person was very helpful throughout the whole process - right from receiving my app , to arranging (and rearranging interview). I can't fault anyone one bit. I had high opinion of the school already, have visited Oxford many times and have researched it well too. This only made my desire stronger.

I didn't stay for the Open day as I had promised to meet my wife for lunch but I'm pretty sure there were more awesome things lined up ,including a free lunch :), for those who stayed on .

To all to be interviewed candidates
I hope you have a wonderful experience.
I'm glad they called me and I will be even more glad to be a part of the school.

I will keep my fingers, legs, eyes - every damn thing crossed in hope :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Posts: 90
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 03:34
rho wrote:
Thanks to everyone who've shared their experiences here. You're a star !
I had my interview yesterday. Here's my debrief if it helps anyone now or in future :)

How to get there
I don't live far from Oxford so it was a short journey by train for me.
However, if you are flying into Heathrow, take the Heathrow express to Paddington (you may see the statue of paddington bear as well :P ) .
Then take the First Great Western train to/toward Oxford. If you are pressed for time, make sure you check the route. I think some trains stop at more stations and some only at 2 or 3, obviously faster. Trains are quite frequent. You may want to buy same-day return if you are coming back to London. When you walk out of station, you can see the school in front of you just 2 mins away.

Another option is to take a bus to Reading and then a train to Oxford.

There may be direct bus connections from Heathrow to Oxford. Please check on http://www.nationalexpress.co.uk

Trains can be checked on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

You can also take Oxford tube from London Victoria (I think but please search online) but I don't know where it stops in Oxford.

I love trains and the scenery on the way is pretty nice as you approach Oxford. So, I would advise you to take train to enjoy some nice views.

Weather
It was bloody windy and I always find Oxford a bit colder than London. So, do check the weather on http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2640729

Questions
The questions were usual - why MBA, why now, why oxford, professional challenge (failure), long-term and short-term goals, which other schools etc.

Interviewer
My interviewer was amazing. She had read my app before and was well informed.
Very polite, very professional. It was very conversational. She kept asking questions but all in the flow.

School
The school is amazing. My Ad-Com person was very helpful throughout the whole process - right from receiving my app , to arranging (and rearranging interview). I can't fault anyone one bit. I had high opinion of the school already, have visited Oxford many times and have researched it well too. This only made my desire stronger.

I didn't stay for the Open day as I had promised to meet my wife for lunch but I'm pretty sure there were more awesome things lined up ,including a free lunch :), for those who stayed on .

To all to be interviewed candidates
I hope you have a wonderful experience.
I'm glad they called me and I will be even more glad to be a part of the school.

I will keep my fingers, legs, eyes - every damn thing crossed in hope :)



That's some great information Rho thanks for sharing. Good luck with the decision.

Last edited by Gmanster on 08 Mar 2012, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Goizueta '15 (I)
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.45
WE: Real Estate (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 08:50
Thanks for the comments! My interview was held in NY with Anna Farrus, Head of Admissions. She definitely read my essay prior to the interview and asked a few related questions in attition to the standard why MBA, why Oxford and why now. She also asked some questions about leadership, overcoming difficulties and about weaknesses in my application.

Overall it was a pleasant experience and seemed to go well. But it looks like most people have the same feeling afterwards...so its hard to really tell how it went.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 36
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 02:49
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.. I will be in the hot seat on March12th, the day when my interview is scheduled :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 03:12
Had my interview well. Besides the usual WHy MBA etc questions some very specific questions to my profile. Overall it went well. Fingers crossed for the final results
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Goizueta '15 (I)
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.45
WE: Real Estate (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 17:45
Round 2 interviews are over. Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Schools: Oxford Said Business School
WE 1: Team Lead for IT Offshoring projects
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 19

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 16:08
Are there any current students from Oxford on this thread?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 81
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 20:21
djf32 wrote:
Round 2 interviews are over. Good luck everyone!


One more week for the results. Fingers crossed.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 22

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 01:45
Hi, What is the GMAT avg for the Indian demographic in Said. Thanks
_________________

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 36
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 01:48
budablasta wrote:
Hi, What is the GMAT avg for the Indian demographic in Said. Thanks


Hi it will probably be around 700
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 22

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 01:52
Oxfordgrad2012 wrote:
You have to keep in mind that a large percentage of applicants from India are from IT sector and the average GMAT score tends to be higher. So, I would say that it is important for you to work on your GMAT score and bump it into the 700's.


I am from the India demographic. Would a 710 be considered competitive.
_________________

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 22

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 01:53
sravangmat wrote:
budablasta wrote:
Hi, What is the GMAT avg for the Indian demographic in Said. Thanks


Hi it will probably be around 700


Are you sure. That seems like the overall avg.
_________________

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 36
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 02:08
Yes .. most probably it will be between 700 and 730. I Would like to let you know that an admission at Oxford depends on various factors among which GMAT is just one criteria. Although it is important, GMAT alone cannot fecth an admission into any top league university. Indians, generally, tend to have high GMAT scores curtesy to the highly quant oriented Indian education system. However, if your score is 700+, then it all depends on other aspects of the application such as your essays, quality experience, extraw curricular activities & more importantly your interview( if you are short listed for it ) . I am sure ADCOM looks for the FIT. Unless they are sure that their MBA program suits your aspirations and your profile is suitable to the school, it would be difficult to make it not only to Oxford but also to any top B- School.

If your score is around 700, then the best wayfor you is to concentrate on other parts of the application. My GMAT score is 700 and my application has been shortlisted for the interview. I had my interview on March 12th in Delhi and now waiting anxiously for the final result which will be released on March 23rd. Interview was a very nice and an exciting experience for me .
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 22

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 02:11
sravangmat wrote:
Yes .. most probably it will be between 700 and 730. I Would like to let you know that an admission at Oxford depends on various factors among which GMAT is just one criteria.

If your score is around 700, then the best wayfor you is to concentrate on other parts of the application. My GMAT score is 700 and my application has been shortlisted for the interview.


Thank you. That is very reassuring. All the best to you! Hope you make it!
_________________

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 36
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 02:18
budablasta wrote:
sravangmat wrote:
Yes .. most probably it will be between 700 and 730. I Would like to let you know that an admission at Oxford depends on various factors among which GMAT is just one criteria.

If your score is around 700, then the best wayfor you is to concentrate on other parts of the application. My GMAT score is 700 and my application has been shortlisted for the interview.


Thank you. That is very reassuring. All the best to you! Hope you make it!



Fingers crossed :))
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2012, 02:18
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Said-Oxford Applicnts(2015 Intake) Class of 2016 Narenn 50 08 Aug 2014, 05:11
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Said (Oxford) Class of 2015 Calling all Admitted Students! Narenn 0 31 Dec 2013, 09:34
64 Experts publish their posts in the topic Said (Oxford) Class of 2015 Calling all applicants! aa2012 263 25 Apr 2013, 07:46
49 Experts publish their posts in the topic Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants yuva1michael 518 25 Jul 2011, 23:34
137 Experts publish their posts in the topic Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants hamm0 429 19 Sep 2012, 09:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  26    Next  [ 519 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.