Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 00:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 241
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 03:34
good morning to folks on this side of the pond and the drunk admitted ones on the other side.YES!! I am in. Got my email 5 minutes back.
_________________

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 03:42
sanjuro9 wrote:
good morning to folks on this side of the pond and the drunk admitted ones on the other side.YES!! I am in. Got my email 5 minutes back.


So, what are you going to choose! I am so going to be drunk after work today!

Guys, you should totally check out the FB page! Your head's going to swim with all the discussions already on there! Books, mac vs pc, renting acco, food, Euro 2012, its all happening! The party's over there folks!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/sbs2013/
_________________

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 03:45
jimdavis wrote:
mosquad wrote:
sanjuro9 wrote:
I hear you guys. Well, its only matter of 48 hours now.

The weight of the wait has somewhat been alleviated by good news from IE. I have been offered a place in the class of Nov 2012. :)


We're in a kind of similar situation, I got accepted to IESE too. I think it's gonna be Oxford :)
You?


Hi, newbie here.

Curious as to why you are choosing Oxford over IESE given that IESE is higher in the rankings? What has swung it for you?

Thanks


It was a tough decision indeed.
The first thing is: there is no bad decision. As people tell me "this is a luxury problem".
I like the fact that Oxford is respected in the business/mba world AND outside of the business world; it kind of gives that extra "flexibility" to use the brand in more sectors. I expect Oxford's ranking to go up (though it is very good now imo, especially after only 12 years); they have all it takes to do that and we can see that they're very motivated (the dean they hired is a very good sigh of that), so they will be taking very good care of their students/alumni to achieve that goal (I think).
The fact that it's 1 year and cheaper is another factor.
IESE is obviously a top school, that's why I applied in the first place; I don't want to think about it anymore haha it's a tough decision!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Posts: 18
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 04:43
Got the email!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 05:06
anilIndia wrote:
On an unrelated note, on the day of the interview I met a guy who was interviewing along with me. He seemed concerned that he did not have a work experience. He had taken a break from medical school at US and was in the UK pursuing a masters in Health policy or something in Oxford. He was so modest and said that he was lucky to be here in UK on a scholarship etc. I came to know recently just browsing on the internet that he is a Rhodes scholar. Whew!!!! Unbelievable modesty being a Rhodes scholar.

For joining Facebook, do you just need to send a request or also a PM to the moderators stating details of acceptance etc?

Regarding the event registration, though I was able to register, another email has been sent to sort out the issue. So I guess there was some issue.


FB: Just click the "join the group" button. Someone will add you in 5 minutes.
_________________

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 05:07
mosquad wrote:
jimdavis wrote:
mosquad wrote:

We're in a kind of similar situation, I got accepted to IESE too. I think it's gonna be Oxford :)
You?


Hi, newbie here.

Curious as to why you are choosing Oxford over IESE given that IESE is higher in the rankings? What has swung it for you?

Thanks


It was a tough decision indeed.
The first thing is: there is no bad decision. As people tell me "this is a luxury problem".
I like the fact that Oxford is respected in the business/mba world AND outside of the business world; it kind of gives that extra "flexibility" to use the brand in more sectors. I expect Oxford's ranking to go up (though it is very good now imo, especially after only 12 years); they have all it takes to do that and we can see that they're very motivated (the dean they hired is a very good sigh of that), so they will be taking very good care of their students/alumni to achieve that goal (I think).
The fact that it's 1 year and cheaper is another factor.
IESE is obviously a top school, that's why I applied in the first place; I don't want to think about it anymore haha it's a tough decision!



Haha! Well good luck in whatever you decide and thanks for the insight!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2011
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 05:29
Hi All ! I'm also in toooooooooooo ... So glad !

Properly I'm too worried for the interview last time (if any guy still remember my post :)). But frankly, the feeling is so much different from the last time I got the interview offer. (almost jump and scream ...). This time it was more deep and calm. I guess I need to figure out how to got the tuition fee then :).

Am in the process of applying to HEC Paris and INSEAD too, almost finished all the essays except for INSEAD (still got 3 more ). Now, no need to write already ... haha ... also save some bucks for the application.

Any ways, really thinking should I give it a try to HEC Paris.

Could we make an statistic update on the R3 so members wish to apply to Oxford can got a better idea about this round.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 07:39
coolwolf15 wrote:
Hi All ! I'm also in toooooooooooo ... So glad !

Properly I'm too worried for the interview last time (if any guy still remember my post :)). But frankly, the feeling is so much different from the last time I got the interview offer. (almost jump and scream ...). This time it was more deep and calm. I guess I need to figure out how to got the tuition fee then :).

Am in the process of applying to HEC Paris and INSEAD too, almost finished all the essays except for INSEAD (still got 3 more ). Now, no need to write already ... haha ... also save some bucks for the application.

Any ways, really thinking should I give it a try to HEC Paris.

Could we make an statistic update on the R3 so members wish to apply to Oxford can got a better idea about this round.


Congrats! You have been through a rollercoaster!

Why are you not applying to INSEAD? I am thinking of giving R2 a shot.
_________________

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 241
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 07:46
Don't know about IE and Oxford quite yet. IE is better ranked in every publication, Oxford is something that I personally prefer. I clearly know ways that it would help me with my education and career goals. I haven't applied to scholarships at IE yet. At Oxford there is nothing else to look forward to other than the Said school scholarship. There is going to be some soul searching, crowdsourcing of ideas/advice over the next week or two.

I have been a member of the FB group for a while now. In fact, I think I joined right after applying. Even if I wasn't admitted, it wouldn't have hurt to get to know bunch of smart people. The admins had let me in kindly. Someone whose namesake is a chief minister in India should have got an friend request from me. If you read this here, now you know who I am. ;)

@nominomi - I remember you from INSEAD pages. Congratulations. Now, which one its gonna be? :D

@coolwolf, @buda, @anil @mosquad @shamanth - congratulations.



@jimdavis - IE and IESE are great schools. IESE is all case based, is modelled after HBS. Some of its faculties are considered thought leaders in business world the world over. IESE is two years and for that reason alone I have not applied to it. IE is a great school with an entrepreneurial spirit and intense curriculum. These two schools along with ESADE have a phenomenal reputation in LatAm countries and Europe. In Asia and US, both IE and IESE are very well regarded as well.

As mosquad has mentioned Said carries the Oxford name with it. That alone is worth $$$$. If you are changing geographies, or are looking for doors to be opened in remote places, the network will be immensely helpful. The collegiate experience at Oxbridge is quite unique as well.

Its a personal decision for everyone. Don't just go by rankings. You are not going to go around announcing that you went to a top 3 business school or top 10 business school. First and foremost its about education, then its about your own individual career goals and finally the experience. Look at what suits you best.
_________________

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 08:01
Got the yes as well!! So glad!

Does anyone know when the term starts? I think I read first week of October but not 100% sure
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 08:06
@jimdavis, thanks! haha

@sanjuro9, thanks! congrats to you too!

@pritzwalk, I think it's October 8th but I heard about some boot camps towards the end of September (I'm not sure what these are haha)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 08:18
@sanjuro

i wonder who is the guy with the name of a chief minister! (i thought i was done with the teasing back in school!) anyway, if you ever sent me an FB request, i must have accepted you thinking it was a good old school friend! haha!

and wonderful writeup on "why oxford"! you should just have written that in your essay! (or you probably did??!!! lol!)
_________________

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2011
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 09:43
budablasta wrote:
coolwolf15 wrote:
Hi All ! I'm also in toooooooooooo ... So glad !

Properly I'm too worried for the interview last time (if any guy still remember my post :)). But frankly, the feeling is so much different from the last time I got the interview offer. (almost jump and scream ...). This time it was more deep and calm. I guess I need to figure out how to got the tuition fee then :).

Am in the process of applying to HEC Paris and INSEAD too, almost finished all the essays except for INSEAD (still got 3 more ). Now, no need to write already ... haha ... also save some bucks for the application.

Any ways, really thinking should I give it a try to HEC Paris.

Could we make an statistic update on the R3 so members wish to apply to Oxford can got a better idea about this round.


Congrats! You have been through a rollercoaster!

Why are you not applying to INSEAD? I am thinking of giving R2 a shot.


INSEAD normally takes 2-3 months to know the final result. By then, you already need to deposit about 10k. Are you willing to forgo that money if you got accepted in INSEAD ?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 10:17
coolwolf15 wrote:
budablasta wrote:
coolwolf15 wrote:
Hi All ! I'm also in toooooooooooo ... So glad !

Properly I'm too worried for the interview last time (if any guy still remember my post :)). But frankly, the feeling is so much different from the last time I got the interview offer. (almost jump and scream ...). This time it was more deep and calm. I guess I need to figure out how to got the tuition fee then :).

Am in the process of applying to HEC Paris and INSEAD too, almost finished all the essays except for INSEAD (still got 3 more ). Now, no need to write already ... haha ... also save some bucks for the application.

Any ways, really thinking should I give it a try to HEC Paris.

Could we make an statistic update on the R3 so members wish to apply to Oxford can got a better idea about this round.


Congrats! You have been through a rollercoaster!

Why are you not applying to INSEAD? I am thinking of giving R2 a shot.


INSEAD normally takes 2-3 months to know the final result. By then, you already need to deposit about 10k. Are you willing to forgo that money if you got accepted in INSEAD ?


Well, I am going to try anyway. Chances of making it look slim though. But it's really funny! Oxford was always and continues to be my first choice
_________________

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Posts: 18
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 11:00
So basically I have admits from both Insead and Oxford. What to do? Don't know. Maybe just stay in my current job.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 216
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 11:06
nominomi wrote:
So basically I have admits from both Insead and Oxford. What to do? Don't know. Maybe just stay in my current job.


With a 660 gmat, you are seriously busting some big myths! Congrats on the "problem of plenty"!!
_________________

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 241
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 12:21
nominomi wrote:
So basically I have admits from both Insead and Oxford. What to do? Don't know. Maybe just stay in my current job.


LOL... someone should have told me there was a third option. Too late.
_________________

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 81
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 12:33
Congrats everyone. The FB group is very active. See you all in Oxford !
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2012
Posts: 6
Location: United States
Schools: Said
GPA: 3.89
WE: Research (Consumer Products)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 14:30
Hi all! Congrats to all of you that got accepted!! I also got the acceptance today, so happyyy!!!
Now I know for sure I'll be staying in UK for the next year, SUPER excited!!! Such a good feeling knowing my plan for the next few months and not being in limbo :)

Btw, can someone share the link to the Oxford MBA facebook group? I looked up on fb and there are few different ones. Is it the Said Business School Admissions?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2012
Posts: 6
Location: United States
Schools: Said
GPA: 3.89
WE: Research (Consumer Products)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 11:24
Thanks budablasta!
Re: Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2012, 11:24
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Said-Oxford Applicnts(2015 Intake) Class of 2016 Narenn 4 08 Aug 2014, 05:11
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Said (Oxford) Class of 2015 Calling all Admitted Students! Narenn 0 31 Dec 2013, 09:34
64 Experts publish their posts in the topic Said (Oxford) Class of 2015 Calling all applicants! aa2012 263 25 Apr 2013, 07:46
49 Experts publish their posts in the topic Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants yuva1michael 518 25 Jul 2011, 23:34
136 Experts publish their posts in the topic Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants hamm0 429 19 Sep 2012, 09:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26    Next  [ 519 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.