Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxford (Said) 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 08:20
Invite for me as well. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 10:39
kickinback wrote:
Also invited for interview. Phew.

Congrats to everyone invited!

How many people are going to interview on campus / via skype?

I am unfortunately traveling during the interview time. My first choice is my hometown, the other two has to be Skype as I cannot make any other location. :(

~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 11:28
A quick question to everyone - does choosing a Skype interview somehow lower the candidate's chances of being accepted in comparison with face-to-face interviews?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 53

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 11:45
artuursk wrote:
A quick question to everyone - does choosing a Skype interview somehow lower the candidate's chances of being accepted in comparison with face-to-face interviews?
No. I dont think so. I dont think it actively 'lowers' the chance of being accepted. I just think that an in-person interview is 'better'.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 14:23
It'll have to be Skype for me too, it takes me 34 hours each way to go from Sydney to London.... :(

Kudos always appreciated if my post helped you :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 06:45
Hi All..

We have one of my classmates (from the current MBA batch) in our midst.. Guess this makes my job a little easier..

Please say hi to user - yuva1michael..

Pls feel free to address your queries to either one of us and we will strive to provide answers, (keeping in mind the course requirements), as quickly as we can..

All the best to those who have been invited for interviews..
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 06:58
Oxfordgrad2012 wrote:
Hi All..

We have one of my classmates (from the current MBA batch) in our midst.. Guess this makes my job a little easier..

Pls feel free to address your queries to either one of us and we will strive to provide answers, (keeping in mind the course requirements), as quickly as we can..

Hi Oxfordgrad2012 and yuva1michael

Thanks for taking time and answering our questions. I had a question which I posted a few days back but might have been missed due to the number of i/v invite posts (btw ATB to all who got invitied)

I am trying to understand if Said is re-applicant friendly ? I applied last year but was not called for i/v. I know some of my mistakes, have worked on them and am now thinking of applying again but want to ensure that Said does not discourage re-applications like INSEAD and IMD.

Also, does anyone know, if re-applicants can use the recommendations from last yr or if they have to fill new ones again.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cambridge (rej w/o int) LBS (rej w/o int) Oxford (admit)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 08:40
MackyCee wrote:
I'm sitting the GMAT in 13 hours time!

I will ONLY be applying to Oxford - based on how I go tomorrow, it'll either be on October 14th (round 1), or round 2.

I've already started the application, and my referees have already submitted their recommendation.

I'm an Australian Engineer with A BEng (1st Class Honours) and an MEngSc with distinction, from two unique top Australian Universities. I have 5 years of work experience on major infrastructure projects - in design, construction, and consulting. I am currently working for a top infrastructure consultancy. I've been getting consistent yearly pay-rises and promotions. Have some decent extra-curriculars too (Rugby & active member of a Political Party)

I've been hitting between 680 and 720 on my GMAT mocks (680, 680, 700, 720) - so I'd be happy to land anywhere in that range tomorrow (or, if I bomb tomorrow and do it again in 31 days).

Would my application be competitive?

Hi,

First of all, good luck for your GMAT. I hope, you will get a good score and join us next year.

Your profile looks good and you should be competitive if your GMAT score stays closer to average of current batch (~693) and if you can bring out your achievements in your essays with a touch of feel in it. I hope you know some of the basics such as not to boast about pay-rises. You can weave stories around your promotion and roles though.

All the best.
YM
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 08:46
mn2010 wrote:
Oxfordgrad2012 wrote:
Hi All..

Hi Oxfordgrad2012 and yuva1michael

Thanks for taking time and answering our questions. I had a question which I posted a few days back but might have been missed due to the number of i/v invite posts (btw ATB to all who got invitied)

I am trying to understand if Said is re-applicant friendly ? I applied last year but was not called for i/v. I know some of my mistakes, have worked on them and am now thinking of applying again but want to ensure that Said does not discourage re-applications like INSEAD and IMD.

Also, does anyone know, if re-applicants can use the recommendations from last yr or if they have to fill new ones again.

Hi mn2010,

My response is going to be a bit bland. Please excuse me.

I do not have any official information on your question and do not intend to reach out to admission team for the same as such. But, based on my understanding, Oxford Said does not discourage re applicants. You should be good to re apply. Using the previous year recommendation would kill the option of showing the improvement that you made in the last one year. My best recommendation would be to contact adcoms with these questions. Mostly they are very good in getting back with good answers.

regards
YM
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
My best wishes to all those people who got interview invite. It looks like many people have the dilemma that I had last year regarding interview options (skype versus f2f). Quick points regarding the same:

1) skype : There is no disadvantage to this option unless you are at easy travel distance from Oxford. It is common sense that adcoms might frown upon those guys who do not put the simple effort to travel to Oxford when they have the option to do so. For the people, who live far away from Oxford, it is OK to go for skype interview. I did my interview over skype last year when I was in Chicago land. Only real disadvantage for this approach is that people might not know what Oxford is all about. There is a good chance that one might fall in love with Oxford if he/she happens to visit.

2) f2f : Highly recommended if one can travel to Oxford relatively easy. One can also have the feel of Oxford Said as well as the Oxford city. After all, Oxford Said business school got some of the good facilities around (comparable to what I have seen in Booth).

regards
YM
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 53

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 04:00
Have you guys started receiving confirmation of your interview location? (if you have opted for in-person interviews)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 04:18
In-person interview confirmed for Nov 21. Best of luck everyone!

Cheers!
lseguy
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.76
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 21:30
Simply going through all these posts about interview invites is giving me the butterflies...
Congrats to all the i/v call getters! :-D

Count me in for R2. Hope to see you on the other side!
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 23:04
Hi,

My Profile
-------------
Undergraduate university: VIT university(Vellore institute of technology->one Among top 10 in India)
GPA:8.11/10
Extracurricular aactivities->
->Organizer of Riviera 2010(an international sports and cultural fest)
I was a part of Organizing committee in which i was heading Guest care committee where i managed almost 6000 
participants and Guests providing them accommodation ,Food and other basic facilities it was a very huge task 
as i was the only head of Guest care committee and it was a huge success and was appreciated with laurels.

->Part of Electroutsav 2007(a national electronics fest)
->I was handling Special guest care committee where i did a similar kind of work as above mentioned in the 
Riviera 2010

-->At school level Participated in sports(Cricket,basketball Etc)

->Work Exp-->2 Years working as Websphere administrator at Infosys Technologies Limited(India) India's Largest 
Software solutions organization

->Why MBA->career progression(To improve my business skills)

->Target schools-->Oxford,ISB,Harvard ,stanford ,MIT sloan ,Kellogg,Hass,London business school,Wharton etc.

->Accomplishments->Please find above in extracurricular activities column

->Program target->International business

Hope this Information helps in assessing my profile

Thanks in advance 

Regards
Srinath

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 02:28
Has anyone else received a confirmation for the interview date?
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 02:44
I have not yet received confirmation of an interview time despite my sending an email with preferences on Friday afternoon (GMT).
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 03:55
I've got mine booked for Monday 14/11 @ 9:30am GMT via Skype

You'll all be receiving you booking dates very shortly I would imagine, as it's still quite early in the day in London.

Kudos always appreciated if my post helped you :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 15:56
received confirmation as well. interestingly enough, i wasn't told the name of the interviewer since i quote 'it will be randomly selected a few hours before the interview itself'. :-)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 11:22
So does Oxford officially state by whom interviews are conducted and whether they will be blind or not?

I'm assuming the person will be from admissions and have already read through my entire app, but I'd like some confirmation, if anyone knows...

Thanks,
MrF
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 02:43
MackyCee wrote:
I've got mine booked for Monday 14/11 @ 9:30am GMT via Skype

You'll all be receiving you booking dates very shortly I would imagine, as it's still quite early in the day in London.

How was your interview experience?
Re: Oxford Said Business School 2012 Applicants   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2011, 02:43