Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Boston U (Full Scholarship) Vs Said no scholarship - Please vote

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Boston Ux   Saidx   
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [1]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2006 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Oxford Said Vs Boston University MS-MBA Full Scholarship [#permalink]
Thanks bb for your valuable suggestions. You have made some very valid points. They have given me something to ponder over BU. However, I am still up for the challenge at Said.

NoHalfMeasures - Thanks for your comments. They have given some points to BU as well. I agree that the 'almost no brand' is not exactly the correct expression, but I was comparing it with Oxford with the context of all over the world. I agree with your second comment as well about getting a job. About other schools, I am wait-listed in Tepper and did not get an interview in Haas, but I am still trying 2-3 top 20 schools in R2. For now, I want to secure a R1 admit by paying the deposit as the deadline is before the deadline of R2 results and with my age and experience I don't want to delay the MBA for one more year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
bb wrote:
Welcome to GMAT Club and congratulations on your great admits and esp at your age!

You will be comfy and cushy during the 2 years with a nice internship in the summer, easy one-year work permit, and usually a fairly straightforward H1B work permit after that.

bb you seem very confident that he'll get H1-B but last year only 1 of 3 applicants got it. I would love to read the reasons of your confidence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.05
WE:Information Technology (Retail Banking)
Send PM
BrainFog wrote:
bb wrote:
Welcome to GMAT Club and congratulations on your great admits and esp at your age!

You will be comfy and cushy during the 2 years with a nice internship in the summer, easy one-year work permit, and usually a fairly straightforward H1B work permit after that.

bb you seem very confident that he'll get H1-B but last year only 1 of 3 applicants got it. I would love to read the reasons of your confidence.

I also would love to hear from bb on this because I have the same deal with BU.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BrainFog wrote:
bb wrote:

My argument was that, the US work permit situation is better than the UK one; not necessarily that the US one was guaranteed. But I think it is right to get specific. Here it goes - my data and evidence are fairly limited in scope only to people I keep in touch via this forum and a few friends in the US who are on H1B. All of them have received visas over the last few years and I have not heard anyone on GMAT Club posting a sorry message they did not (that does not mean they did not face the issue, I just have not heard).

Now, I am not an immigration attorney and I don't keep tabs on the immigration/visa stuff but here are my thoughts. The obvious one is that in addition to the regular CAP that starts filling up on April 1st, there are also 20K slots for advanced degree holders, which is meaningful since re-applicants holding H1B are exempt. Is 1 in 3 advanced applicants or ALL applicants? There is some pain associated with timing of H1B and I can't remember what people do these days to bridge the gap between the end of OPT and Oct 1st date, but that's a tangent. I believe if you are lucky enough to snag a job by April 1st before you graduate, you may be able to apply early and get 2 shots at it (or rather your employer gets to do that) - this is why the internship is very important to make yourself useful and wanted.

Another reason for confidence is that the economy is booking at the moment and unemployment is at pretty low levels, indicating that it will be tough for Google and Amazon to find talent and they will likely lobby to increase the cap for H1B Advanced Degree holders (it has been shrinking and expanding over the last 15 years depending on the political and economic situations). The caps lag a year or two in timing, so usually they will increase them by the time it is too late and they will shrink them again, at the time, they should be expanding. Feast to famine type of situation. Since we are in the "famine" category at the moment, it is likely to be an excess situation in the coming years.

Finally, we are talking about something that is in this case 3 or 4 years away. By that time it may be a situation with abundance of H1B slots as it happened in late 2000's or it may be so tight that no international student can get a job under president Trump. We are speculating at the moment about something we cannot control or have certainty in. We just don't know, and in these cases i prefer the glass-half-full perspective.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks all for your suggestions and votes.

I have almost decided on Oxford Said mostly due to the brand and 1 year timeline. I will pay the deposit soon.

However, one thing I would like to mention for future applicants and others that the OTP you get after Boston University MS-MBA is valid for 29 months as opposed to 12 months for normal MBAs. It is because one gets 12 months for the MBA degree and extra 17 months for the MS degree as it is a dual degree program. So one gets to apply for H1B at least three times and this really reduces the risk of H1B rejection. This is a great advantage for the MS-MBA program. So the point mentioned above by BB is valid.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
himpuju wrote:
Thanks all for your suggestions and votes.

I have almost decided on Oxford Said mostly due to the brand and 1 year timeline. I will pay the deposit soon.

However, one thing I would like to mention for future applicants and others that the OTP you get after Boston University MS-MBA is valid for 29 months as opposed to 12 months for normal MBAs. It is because one gets 12 months for the MBA degree and extra 17 months for the MS degree as it is a dual degree program. So one gets to apply for H1B at least three times and this really reduces the risk of H1B rejection. This is a great advantage for the MS-MBA program. So the point mentioned above by BB is valid.

Hi Himpuju - on the 29 month OPT - did you get this confirmed from BU?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I did not confirm it from BU. But all 5 current students and recent alumni I spoke to confirmed the same. This is a dual degree program that offers both MBA and MS. I got the information from other people as well that you get 12 month OPT for MBA and extra 17 month OPT for a STEM degree according to current rules.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
So himpuju, are you matriculating at Oxford?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes greenzie, as of now, I am going to Oxford this year..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Cool, good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks greenzie.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Send PM
Oxford Said Vs Boston University MS-MBA Full Scholarship [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Take a look at the business school reviews just in case for both schools to set your expectations. I know said is mentioned there. Can't remember about BU.
https://gmatclub.com/reviews/comments/ox ... -345350478
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks bb. I have taken a look at those already. They were helpful and were in line with the expectation set by the current students and alumni whom I have spoken to.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts