Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 05:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ozone layer - Debatable OA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 109

Ozone layer - Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 23:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (02:21) correct 26% (01:13) wrong based on 84 sessions
Do you think that this question is not well constructed?

The importance of the ozone layer to terrestrial animals is that it entirely filters out some wavelengths of light but lets others through. Holes in the ozone layer and the dangers associated with these holes are well documented. However, one danger that has not been given sufficient attention is that these holes could lead to severe eye damage for animals of many species.

Which one of the following is most strongly supported by the statements above, if they are true?

(A) All wavelengths of sunlight that can cause eye damage are filtered out by the ozone layer where it is intact.
(B) Few species of animals live on a part of the earth’s surface that is not threatened by holes in the ozone layer.
(C) Some species of animals have eyes that will not suffer any damage when exposed to unfiltered sunlight.
(D) A single wavelength of sunlight can cause severe damage to the eyes of most species of animals.
(E) Some wavelengths of sunlight that cause eye damage are more likely to reach the earth’s surface where there are holes in the ozone layer than where there are not.

My opinion:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I only would choose E by process of elimination. But I think that the question is not well constructed because there is no information to infer that the wavelengths are more likely to reach the earth’s surface where there are holes in the ozone layer. What do you think?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 347

Kudos [?]: 1414 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ozone layer - Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 23:58
What's the source?
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 109

Re: Ozone layer - Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 07:41
whiplash2411 wrote:
What's the source?

Powerscore CR Bible. The question is an example.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Ozone layer - Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 01:13
(E)

(A) All wavelengths of sunlight that can cause eye damage are filtered out by the ozone layer where it is intact
- it entirely filters out some wavelengths of light but lets others through
(B) Few species of animals live on a part of the earth’s surface that is not threatened by holes in the ozone layer. - No mention of any parts of earth's surface
(C) Some species of animals have eyes that will not suffer any damage when exposed to unfiltered sunlight.
- these holes could lead to severe eye damage for animals of many species. Holes can lead to small damages.
(D) A single wavelength of sunlight can cause severe damage to the eyes of most species of animals.
- No mention of specific wavelenths
(E) Some wavelengths of sunlight that cause eye damage are more likely to reach the earth’s surface where there are holes in the ozone layer than where there are not. --> Correct

Raptor

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Ozone layer - Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 10:22
Here,s my explaination::

The importance of the ozone layer to terrestrial animals is that it entirely filters out some wavelengths of light but lets others through. Holes in the ozone layer and the dangers associated with these holes are well documented. However, one danger that has not been given sufficient attention is that these holes could lead to severe eye damage for animals of many species.

Which one of the following is most strongly supported by the statements above, if they are true?

MUST BE TRUE question type by reading the stem.

(A) All wavelengths of sunlight that can cause eye damage are filtered out by the ozone layer where it is intact.
Eliminate: Extreme language.
(B) Few species of animals live on a part of the earth’s surface that is not threatened by holes in the ozone layer.
Eliminate: Goes out of scope.
Eliminate: No evidence is presented in the stimulus to prove this point.
Eliminate: Most is never equal to Many( as Powerscore says) . Most = 50 or above...but Many can include ALL.
(E) Some wavelengths of sunlight that cause eye damage are more likely to reach the earth’s surface where there are holes in the ozone layer than where there are not.
Perfect: This one is basically a paraphrase of a line in the stimulus.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
-V
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: Ozone layer - Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 23:06
I think this is an OG question. Not sure of the number.But E makes the most sense. E is a paraphrase of the prompt in a very convoluted way!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

Re: Ozone layer - Debatable OA [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 14:11
Of all the answer choices, E seems to be mild and less extreme, while still supporting the argument
Re: Ozone layer - Debatable OA   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2011, 14:11