p and m are positive integers, and p is a prime number. If x : GMAT Quantitative Section
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 11 Dec 2016, 03:26
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

p and m are positive integers, and p is a prime number. If x

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

p and m are positive integers, and p is a prime number. If x [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2013, 09:57
Hi,

Need your guidance for below qq.

p and m are positive integers, and p is a prime number. If x^2-mx+p=0 has a positive interger solution what is the value of (m-p)?


Thanks in advance !!

Last edited by Narenn on 08 Sep 2013, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Moved. Always post the topic in relevant forum
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 3723
Location: India
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 379

Kudos [?]: 2785 [4] , given: 1961

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: p and m are positive integers, and p is a prime number. If x [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 18:30
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
alokgupta1009 wrote:
Hi,

Need your guidance for below qq.

p and m are positive integers, and p is a prime number. If x^2-mx+p=0 has a positive interger solution what is the value of (m-p)?


Thanks in advance !!


In any quadratic equation \(ax^2 + bx + c = 0\), the relationship between b and c is that b is the sum of the factors of c*a.

In \(x^2 - mx + p = 0\), we know -m is the sum of the factors of p, and we also know that p is the prime number that means it has only two factors, p and 1

So -m = -p -1 -------> m - p = 1

Hope that helps :)
_________________

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

New GMAT Club App Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: p and m are positive integers, and p is a prime number. If x [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 04:19
Narenn wrote:
alokgupta1009 wrote:
Hi,

Need your guidance for below qq.

p and m are positive integers, and p is a prime number. If x^2-mx+p=0 has a positive interger solution what is the value of (m-p)?


Thanks in advance !!


In any quadratic equation \(ax^2 + bx + c = 0\), the relationship between b and c is that b is the sum of the factors of c*a.

In \(x^2 - mx + p = 0\), we know -m is the sum of the factors of p, and we also know that p is the prime number that means it has only two factors, p and 1

So -m = -p -1 -------> m - p = 1

Hope that helps :)



I didn't understand the explanation. Could you elaborate and give a numerical example?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 3723
Location: India
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 379

Kudos [?]: 2785 [1] , given: 1961

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: p and m are positive integers, and p is a prime number. If x [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2014, 05:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
iftach1 wrote:
Narenn wrote:
alokgupta1009 wrote:
Hi,

Need your guidance for below qq.

p and m are positive integers, and p is a prime number. If x^2-mx+p=0 has a positive interger solution what is the value of (m-p)?


Thanks in advance !!


In any quadratic equation \(ax^2 + bx + c = 0\), the relationship between b and c is that b is the sum of the factors of c*a.

In \(x^2 - mx + p = 0\), we know -m is the sum of the factors of p, and we also know that p is the prime number that means it has only two factors, p and 1

So -m = -p -1 -------> m - p = 1

Hope that helps :)



I didn't understand the explanation. Could you elaborate and give a numerical example?


In quadratic equation \(x^2 + bx + c = 0\), -b is the sum of the factors and c is the product. Suppose the factors of the equation are p and q then we can express \(x^2 + bx + c = 0\) as \(x^2 + (p+q)x + pq = 0\) where pq = c and p+q = -b
Consider the equation \(x^2 - 5x + 4 = 0\) The factors of this equation are 4 & 1 so this equation can be expressed as \(x^2 - (4+1)x + (4*1) = 0\)

In the equation \(x^2 - mx + p = 0\) we know that P is the prime number, so it can have only two factors: p and 1, so we can express the equation as \(x^2 - (p+1)x + (p*1) = 0\). SO we have that -m = -p -1 and P = p ------> so m - p = p + 1 - p -----> 1

Hope that helps!!
_________________

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

New GMAT Club App Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 992
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 163

Kudos [?]: 1427 [0], given: 227

Premium Member Reviews Badge
p and m are positive integers, and p is a prime number. If x [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2014, 01:10
Hi Narren,

Why you did not consider:-p+1=-m
Along with -p-1=-m I think above mentioned relation is also valid because m is sum or difference of factors.

Then -1 is also a possible value.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

p and m are positive integers, and p is a prime number. If x   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2014, 01:10
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic In question if given, p and q are integers, should we consider 0 for p piyush7007 1 21 Nov 2016, 22:13
If p is a prime number greater than 2, what is the value of p ? JimGMATAnswers 0 14 Jul 2015, 09:22
Car X leaves Town A at 2 P.M NightsKing 0 05 Jun 2015, 18:51
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Are prime numbers positive numbers? fozzzy 1 09 Mar 2013, 02:45
9 Experts publish their posts in the topic Question about p prime in to n factorial! Wishbone 6 21 Jan 2011, 15:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

p and m are positive integers, and p is a prime number. If x

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.