Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Gryphon wrote:
Received an interview invite late this afternoon while driving home. I almost crashed. I was pleasantly surprised because I certainly wasn't expecting anything late on a Friday afternoon.

I'd love to crash if that's what it takes to get that email :P *playing crash into me by dave mathews band in my head*

And perhaps they wouldve read the 800 word app by all R1 applicants too. So, if I dont have an interview invite yet, I cant even justify to myself that they havent gotten down to reading my app yet, like how im consoling myself for other schools.

Losin it!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Quote:
And perhaps they wouldve read the 800 word app by all R1 applicants too. So, if I dont have an interview invite yet, I cant even justify to myself that they havent gotten down to reading my app yet, like how im consoling myself for other schools.

I feel your pain....I am on the same boat. I am going paranoid -I keep refreshing my mailbox every minute.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
I can certainly feel for you guys having been in the same boat just a couple days ago. As soon as I stopped looking at email and just accepted that they weren't going to ask me to interview, I got the request. That's probably not much consolation though.

I actually live in Charlottesville and part of me thought Well, they're just making me wait because they know I don't have to make travel arrangements to get to campus. To a certain extent, international candidates are in a similar position. ADCOM can wait toward the end and send out a skype interview request knowing that you're not going to travel to campus. At least, that's how I would rationalize it to myself.

I went through a period of enormous frustration where I got really upset. I kept thinking, If they'd given me more than one essay and two short response prompts I could have at least shown off my Darden-specific knowledge. Are they just turning this into a stats contest? This might be the only time in life I've asked for a chance to write more :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Gryphon wrote:
Received an interview invite late this afternoon while driving home. I almost crashed. I was pleasantly surprised because I certainly wasn't expecting anything late on a Friday afternoon.

Congratulations on the invite! We have recently put a podcast on MBA interviews. Listen to what you need to ace that MBA Interview -

------------------------------------------
Ace that MBA Interview!

The personal interview is a very important step in your efforts to get admission to your dream business school and should not be taken any lighter than the rest of your application; almost every top MBA programs will not accept an applicant without having an interview. The motivation is :

a) to analyse and assess your overall "marketability"
b) to aggressively find the best applicants and sometimes, to keep them away from other competitive schools
c) to pitch their own MBA programs

... listen to the podcast [~17 mins]
-----------------------------------------------

Hope it helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM

Originally posted by washingtondc627 on 21 Nov 2011, 06:12.
Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
Send PM
Just received an i/v invite. Very excited !! Hang in there guys. I am pleasantly surprised as I lost all hope.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Does anyone have an idea what % of applicants are invited to interview? Or what percent of those interviewed are accepted? I know Wharton interviews 40% and accepts 40% of those interviewed. Didn't know if that was the standard across the board or if it was different at Darden.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM

Originally posted by washingtondc627 on 21 Nov 2011, 18:46.
Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
LetsGoTigers wrote:
Does anyone have an idea what % of applicants are invited to interview? Or what percent of those interviewed are accepted? I know Wharton interviews 40% and accepts 40% of those interviewed. Didn't know if that was the standard across the board or if it was different at Darden.

I do not know the exact numbers, but from what I have heard for most schools is that the interview invites are to about approx 30% of the applicants with an average of 50% getting accepted. This is across schools so some may be higher and some may be lower for either number. But its a good gauge. I say if you get an interview you have at worst a 1 - 2 chance of getting in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
LetsGoTigers wrote:

I do not know the exact numbers, but from what I have heard for most schools is that the interview invites are to about approx 30% of the applicants with an average of 50% getting accepted. This is across schools so some may be higher and some may be lower for either number. But its a good gauge. I say if you get an interview you have at worst a 1 - 2 chance of getting in.

This translates to a 15% acceptance rate. Darden's is 25%.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was chatting with a current student who suggested that her sense was 40% invited to interview, and 60% acceptances from those interviewed.

There you go, roughly 24%.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Although they say that the application is read thoroughly and the admission process is holistic, it looks to me that among the good candidates, the interview invites first go to ones having higher GMAT. This is not to contest that they don't look at other components. They do. But when I visited the school earlier this year, I spoke with one of the admissions committee staff members, and she told me that they typically suggest students with less than 700 to retake GMAT, if possible, to improve the chances of admission.
Again, not sure how much we could take it at face value, but just shared my thoughts.
Anybody less than 700 GMAT here received an interview invite from Darden?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
reach2bhush wrote:
Although they say that the application is read thoroughly and the admission process is holistic, it looks to me that among the good candidates, the interview invites first go to ones having higher GMAT. This is not to contest that they don't look at other components. They do. But when I visited the school earlier this year, I spoke with one of the admissions committee staff members, and she told me that they typically suggest students with less than 700 to retake GMAT, if possible, to improve the chances of admission.
Again, not sure how much we could take it at face value, but just shared my thoughts.

Agree, I get the same vibe. Perhaps because of Darden's extremely strong academic focus. However, this is surprising, especially since their mean GMAT is 701. a good lot has to be in the late 600s.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
any Darden interview R1 invites yesterday?

Looks like the interview invites have dried up. I'm losing some hope for Darden and shifting my gears to other schools of my interest...
Good luck for interviews to those who received invites and good luck to those who are eagerly waiting for invites like me.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.63
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
reach2bhush wrote:

I have a 650 GMAT and I got my invitation to interview on Nov 1. So I'm not sure they go by only GMAT for early invites.. If so, there is NO reason I should've gotten one early on in the game!

Just finished my interview on campus yesterday. Have to say it was a slightly offbeat experience. I was interviewed by a member of the Ad Com and she was pleasant enough. It was extremely casual and I interviewed in her office sitting on a couch. She asked everything she wanted to know upfront - a little about where I grew up, my family, my undergrad experience and then a bit about my internships, professional experience and why Darden specifically. Was extremely conversational - she took no notes, did not want to see my resume - just wanted to chat. So I told her my story and she interjected with a lot of questions.

You probably think from what you've read so far that it was going well so far and why I said the experience was offbeat in the beginning. Here's why. Talking about your entire life experience in 40 minutes, we definitely covered a lot of breadth, but not depth. I feel if someone was to go ask her if she got a real sense for who I was - I'm not sure she would be able to give them a proper response. The interview was so unstructured that it makes me uncomfortable .. Can anyone relate to what I feel?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
Send PM
jsundare wrote:
reach2bhush wrote:

I have a 650 GMAT and I got my invitation to interview on Nov 1. So I'm not sure they go by only GMAT for early invites.. If so, there is NO reason I should've gotten one early on in the game!

Just finished my interview on campus yesterday. Have to say it was a slightly offbeat experience. I was interviewed by a member of the Ad Com and she was pleasant enough. It was extremely casual and I interviewed in her office sitting on a couch. She asked everything she wanted to know upfront - a little about where I grew up, my family, my undergrad experience and then a bit about my internships, professional experience and why Darden specifically. Was extremely conversational - she took no notes, did not want to see my resume - just wanted to chat. So I told her my story and she interjected with a lot of questions.

You probably think from what you've read so far that it was going well so far and why I said the experience was offbeat in the beginning. Here's why. Talking about your entire life experience in 40 minutes, we definitely covered a lot of breadth, but not depth. I feel if someone was to go ask her if she got a real sense for who I was - I'm not sure she would be able to give them a proper response. The interview was so unstructured that it makes me uncomfortable .. Can anyone relate to what I feel?

I felt the opposite. I like that it wasn't structured and it was genuinely a conversation about my life, dreams and goal. Wharton's interview, on the other hand, was completely structured and I felt like they couldn't get a feel of who I am at all.

I guess it depends on your personality. Some people like to open up about their lives, others don't.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
jsundare wrote:
reach2bhush wrote:

I know somebody with a 650 GMAT and a GPA lower than Darden's average who was invited over two weeks ago as well. This applicant is located in China too... if that helps at all.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts