Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: ESADE MBA Program 2012-2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I had applied in R1 and was interviewed last week.
Received a mail yesterday stating that I have been placed on waiting list.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Was just admitted to ESADE Master in Marketing Management for 2012 intake :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Just finished off with all the formalities related to confirming my seat(1st installment of the fee & other related documents). Awaiting confirmation from the school. Starting this thread to touch base with other selected students. Also all you prospective applicants out there please feel free to contact me in case you have any application related queries.Over the next few months I would be more than happy to assist you in whatever way I can!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
abhijitharies wrote:
Just finished off with all the formalities related to confirming my seat(1st installment of the fee & other related documents). Awaiting confirmation from the school. Starting this thread to touch base with other selected students. Also all you prospective applicants out there please feel free to contact me in case you have any application related queries.Over the next few months I would be more than happy to assist you in whatever way I can!

merged threads.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
rasta wrote:
abhijitharies wrote:

merged threads.

Hi Abhijitharies,

I believe that you are interested in Net impact and social business, I am right? Then, both of us are in the same boat.... I am applying to ESADE and Oxford.... After checking you profile I noticed that you considered Oxford as well.... What make you to decide ESADE over Oxford? both are almost in the same position in rankings, but Oxford is shorter and maybe has better reputation that Esade. Then, Why Esade?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Saurajm wrote:
rasta wrote:
abhijitharies wrote:

merged threads.

Hi Abhijitharies,

I believe that you are interested in Net impact and social business, I am right? Then, both of us are in the same boat.... I am applying to ESADE and Oxford.... After checking you profile I noticed that you considered Oxford as well.... What make you to decide ESADE over Oxford? both are almost in the same position in rankings, but Oxford is shorter and maybe has better reputation that Esade. Then, Why Esade?

Thanks

I see you have applied to IESE as well??How would you differentiate IESE and ESADE..I am thinking of applying to IESE and ESADE..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
What a nosedive for ESADE in FT mba rankings..21 to 33..the biggest drop seen by any college this year..

While other spanish universities have not seen any drop..What Say??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
abhijitharies wrote:

Hi Abhijitaries,

Since you have paid up the 1st installment I had a few questions to you..
When can you apply for for the scholarship?What is the criteria for getting a scholarship?Also, how much can you get in a scholarship?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@Optimusprimea1 with ESADE you have two types of scholarship..one is a direct one which the school would announce with your admission e-mail.I think this is generally on the basis of a great GMAT score & a wonderful & diverse work profile. The other one would be the indirect ones which you can apply only after you have been selected. Again you can apply to only one scholarship here(generally 10-20% of the tuition fees, for a few of these you might have to write an additional essay)

As far as the rankings are concerned we need to remember that the rankings are based on inputs from the batch which passed out 3 years ago! So 2012 rankings actually reflect the 2009 data! I have spoken to the immediate alums(2010 & 11) n they seem to be very happy! So I think we will see the school jump up again in the next year or two. Also if you filter it on the basis of career progression ESADE ranks 5th in the world & unless you want to start a firm of your own career progression & aims achieved are two very important factors!

Well I don't want to sound biased but I really think we should not be taking rankings that seriously also. I mean in one ranking(I think its businessweek or may be economist) ESADE ranks higher than even London Business School. But honestly the alums themselves think that we would need a few more years to reach there in terms of the aura & prestige(I'm sure we will eventually reach there).

IESE is definitely a great school but at this stage I cannot afford to stay in the school for close to two years.That was main reason I backed out. ESADE gives me a nice flexibility of 12-15-18 months(which I get to decide in the first term).

@Saurajm I did consider Oxford but ESADE was my number one choice for a variety of reasons.Always wanted to study at BCN(romanticism I guess :-) ,studying in Spain gives me a great chance to pick up Spanish(though its predominantly Catalan) & explore South America as a potential market. I hear from students that compared to other schools the camaraderie & bond between fellow students is just awesome(Team work starts with MBA right! :-) ). Also I hear ESADE's career services is very good & that they work closely with the students(A small group of 180 students with different career services officers assigned for specific regions like APCA,India,Europe etc). It is very important to be realistic in these times & I found that their Asian placements last year has been fairly good(in terms of the profile). Also ESADE( being older than SAID Oxford) has a very good alumni network.

@Saurajm I still am not sure what I would do post MBA. I think I mentioned it in one of the other forums. I'm going in with an empty canvas hoping that ESADE would help me paint a beautiful picture. I would want to have a crack at Mgmt Consulting(first few months would tell me if I'm good at it or not). Also I would want to explore renewable energy,environment sector as well as entrepreneurship(social as well as e-Commerce) I have one or two ideas here,don't know how feasible it is though. Also sports management is something that excites me(I'm definitely gonna be joining sports mgmt student body while I'm at ESADE).

I think at the end of the day the beauty of MBA at any top school is how we use the MBA & the school. I felt that ESADE & I fit together hence I chose ESADE.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
abhijitharies wrote:
@Optimusprimea1 with ESADE you have two types of scholarship..one is a direct one which the school would announce with your admission e-mail.I think this is generally on the basis of a great GMAT score & a wonderful & diverse work profile. The other one would be the indirect ones which you can apply only after you have been selected. Again you can apply to only one scholarship here(generally 10-20% of the tuition fees, for a few of these you might have to write an additional essay)

As far as the rankings are concerned we need to remember that the rankings are based on inputs from the batch which passed out 3 years ago! So 2012 rankings actually reflect the 2009 data! I have spoken to the immediate alums(2010 & 11) n they seem to be very happy! So I think we will see the school jump up again in the next year or two. Also if you filter it on the basis of career progression ESADE ranks 5th in the world & unless you want to start a firm of your own career progression & aims achieved are two very important factors!

Well I don't want to sound biased but I really think we should not be taking rankings that seriously also. I mean in one ranking(I think its businessweek or may be economist) ESADE ranks higher than even London Business School. But honestly the alums themselves think that we would need a few more years to reach there in terms of the aura & prestige(I'm sure we will eventually reach there).

IESE is definitely a great school but at this stage I cannot afford to stay in the school for close to two years.That was main reason I backed out. ESADE gives me a nice flexibility of 12-15-18 months(which I get to decide in the first term).

@Saurajm I did consider Oxford but ESADE was my number one choice for a variety of reasons.Always wanted to study at BCN(romanticism I guess :-) ,studying in Spain gives me a great chance to pick up Spanish(though its predominantly Catalan) & explore South America as a potential market. I hear from students that compared to other schools the camaraderie & bond between fellow students is just awesome(Team work starts with MBA right! :-) ). Also I hear ESADE's career services is very good & that they work closely with the students(A small group of 180 students with different career services officers assigned for specific regions like APCA,India,Europe etc). It is very important to be realistic in these times & I found that their Asian placements last year has been fairly good(in terms of the profile). Also ESADE( being older than SAID Oxford) has a very good alumni network.

@Saurajm I still am not sure what I would do post MBA. I think I mentioned it in one of the other forums. I'm going in with an empty canvas hoping that ESADE would help me paint a beautiful picture. I would want to have a crack at Mgmt Consulting(first few months would tell me if I'm good at it or not). Also I would want to explore renewable energy,environment sector as well as entrepreneurship(social as well as e-Commerce) I have one or two ideas here,don't know how feasible it is though. Also sports management is something that excites me(I'm definitely gonna be joining sports mgmt student body while I'm at ESADE).

I think at the end of the day the beauty of MBA at any top school is how we use the MBA & the school. I felt that ESADE & I fit together hence I chose ESADE.

I would like to mention three things here:

1. Wouldn't average GMAT scores also give a hint as to where the School is going. ESADE picks up students with a lower GMAT score where as IESE and IE higher. Can the teamwork way of studying can bring in a less competitive spirit?
2. If you are aware, can you elaborate on the ESADE Creapolis center which the school is marketing very thoroughly?
3. I think the main problem lies in how ESADE is differentiating itself from IESE and IE. Not much too look at.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Oh btw search for how FT ranks the school(google FT methodology & also another article on economist(handle with care+economist) )
These articles should explain the ranking methodologies & their discrepancies! If you were to use your CR skills( that you used in GMAT) I'm sure you will find a lot of loopholes.:-) But then as I said you do your own research & go with your gut feel. It is not about finding out which is the best school, it is about which school is the best for you!

P.S: I'm still not eligible to post links but in case you find them & read them you will have a fair idea on how to use the rankings For eg CUHK in Hong Kong was always a top school in my research but it did not even figure in the 2011 rankings I think & this year its in the top 15. Its more important to get in touch with the current students & alums rather than just look out on the basis of rankings(Btw I got to know that the students of 2008 batch were very happy with the placements & hence gave a very bad feedback!)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
abhijitharies wrote:
Oh btw search for how FT ranks the school(google FT methodology & also another article on economist(handle with care+economist) )
These articles should explain the ranking methodologies & their discrepancies! If you were to use your CR skills( that you used in GMAT) I'm sure you will find a lot of loopholes.:-) But then as I said you do your own research & go with your gut feel. It is not about finding out which is the best school, it is about which school is the best for you!

P.S: I'm still not eligible to post links but in case you find them & read them you will have a fair idea on how to use the rankings For eg CUHK in Hong Kong was always a top school in my research but it did not even figure in the 2011 rankings I think & this year its in the top 15. Its more important to get in touch with the current students & alums rather than just look out on the basis of rankings(Btw I got to know that the students of 2008 batch were very happy with the placements & hence gave a very bad feedback!)

(Btw I got to know that the students of 2008 batch were very happy with the placements & hence gave a very bad feedback!)

I think you meant the other way:-) i.e. They weren't too happy..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Lol yeah I meant the other way!

Now coming to your other three points all I can say is score is definitely one part. You also need to look at the profiles of the students(the more diverse & heterogeneous the better it is). I know for sure that the 20-30 that I know from the incoming batch have pretty diverse profiles (right from a coffee vendor to a hotelier)! Can't say much about Creapolis except that I have heard its a little far from the city! :-P

Btw I'm already in,so I will most definitely be looking at it with rose tinted classes. Hence my views would be very biased! I think the current students & alums are the best ones to ask. They should be able to provide a correct picture!

For one people looking for lucrative jobs in Europe might want to reconsider,not just ESADE MBA any European MBA for that matter I think! Its definitely a struggle but from what I hear its gonna be worth it. My hope from the MBA is that I will come out a better person a smarter person & a more confident person, so much so that the talks of all this recession shouldn't even be bothering me!(These are my only expectations)
I hope I'm not on Floyd(High hopes!) :-))
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Everyone...

I had applied in the Jan round. I received a waitlist without an interview. Is this normal?? As I believe waitlist comes after an interview. Isn't it??

Regards.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Not necessarily dude! The reason you have been wait-listed most probably is because the school likes your profile but may be it is waiting for all the applications to come in for the particular intake before they decide on your profile. They like you but may be are still not very sure, Otherwise you would have got an outright reject right!

P.S: These are my personal thoughts & I'm not sure if I'm right but I think logically I am! :-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@abhijitaries : this is not for you:-)

But this is to all others who researched a lot on ESADE..

Request you list a few great professors at ESADE that are game changers according to them. If names cannot be given kindly list the departments at ESADE which you think are worth a mention..

Thank You.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@optimus other than me is there anybody else who responds on this thread! :-)

Anyway I hope you got what you were looking for!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts