Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
djtriptick wrote:
TheSenator wrote:
I've been getting e-mails from schools saying they've received my application and actually received an invitation to interview from UVA this morning... do you think they've reviewed my application already or is this pretty standard for Darden to request an interview immediately.

I haven't received emails from any schools about receiving my application (Ross, Haas, Darden, Anderson), but I also received an interview invite from Darden this morning. I think it is a good thing and not a knee jerk invite.

Last year's Darden thread had these stats for some perspective:

Round 1
# of Applicants: 73
Interviews: 44
Admitted: 20

Round 2
# of Applicants: 105
Interviews: 64
Admitted: 30

A quick google search brought up this quote from a student discussing the change to invite only from mandatory interviews in 2008.

"With the new policy applicants only need to visit Charlottesville after the admissions office has determined their credentials and essays meet the requirements for admissions....I checked with Darden’s admissions staff on this point last week and they confirmed that every applicant invited to interview has the potential to be accepted."

As far as the speed of the review, I am guessing there aren't very many of us R1 consortium applicants. When attending diversity events at schools (other than Darden), very few applicants I spoke with planned to apply in R1. Also given the small number of consortium schools that actually look at R1 apps before R2, there is a relatively small benefit for most applicants.

So, given all that, I'm celebrating the invite, and congratulations!

Congrats! Which day are you planning on going. I'm going to try to make it a day trip if possible. All this short notice travel from the Midwest is taking a toll on my bank account. Last three weeks I've been back and forth from the east coast at $300 to $400 a pop each time not including lodging.

#breakingthebank
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
djtriptick wrote:
TheSenator wrote:
I've been getting e-mails from schools saying they've received my application and actually received an invitation to interview from UVA this morning... do you think they've reviewed my application already or is this pretty standard for Darden to request an interview immediately.

I haven't received emails from any schools about receiving my application (Ross, Haas, Darden, Anderson), but I also received an interview invite from Darden this morning. I think it is a good thing and not a knee jerk invite.

Last year's Darden thread had these stats for some perspective:

Round 1
# of Applicants: 73
Interviews: 44
Admitted: 20

Round 2
# of Applicants: 105
Interviews: 64
Admitted: 30

A quick google search brought up this quote from a student discussing the change to invite only from mandatory interviews in 2008.

"With the new policy applicants only need to visit Charlottesville after the admissions office has determined their credentials and essays meet the requirements for admissions....I checked with Darden’s admissions staff on this point last week and they confirmed that every applicant invited to interview has the potential to be accepted."

As far as the speed of the review, I am guessing there aren't very many of us R1 consortium applicants. When attending diversity events at schools (other than Darden), very few applicants I spoke with planned to apply in R1. Also given the small number of consortium schools that actually look at R1 apps before R2, there is a relatively small benefit for most applicants.

So, given all that, I'm celebrating the invite, and congratulations!

Congrats on your invite!!!! Just a quick question, when did the consortium send the applications to your schools? Mine was not sent until Friday at 5:30pm.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
nycbiker wrote:
Congrats on your invite!!!! Just a quick question, when did the consortium send the applications to your schools? Mine was not sent until Friday at 5:30pm.

I got my e-mail Friday morning and started getting updates from schools this weekend. Not all of my schools I've applied to have responded. Don't get too worked up about it; it is a holiday week and a bunch of schools just had Round One or Round Two deadlines so they're sifting through more than just Consortium apps.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
Congrats on the invite Senator!

I actually am just now getting my app processed by the Consortium as they didn't get my Mission recommendation, so I had to sort all of that out.

What are everyone's rankings btw

mine went:
NYU
Cornell
Emory
UCLA
USC

I went with:
Cornell
USC
Texas
Berkeley
Tepper
Indiana

1-4 were very tough decisions so my rankings came down to where I think ill have the best chance at the fellowship since that's my #1 factor in deciding where to go.

My app was also forwarded to the schools this past Friday. I have not gotten e-mails from any of the schools yet. Since it's a holiday week, I won't start stressing until mid-next week if I've heard nothing from the schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FYI
Businessweek Admissions Q&A: USC Marshall (September 28, 2011)
The number of applicants to the Marshall school is lower this year than in the past two years. Is there an explanation for this? What kind of applicants are you seeing?

"Actually, international applications are higher than last year, especially from India and China. Domestic applications, however, are relatively flat, with the exception of our dip in applications from underrepresented minorities, which can be attributed to the recent inclusion of two other West Coast business schools in the ranks of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management [an organization that promotes diversity in business and awards full-tuition fellowships]. Prior to this last application cycle, USC Marshall was the only West Coast school in the group of 15 member schools."

I guess I contributed to this by applying to Haas/Anderson and not Marshall. I think this is good competitive information for those considering USC or West Coast schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:

Congrats! Which day are you planning on going. I'm going to try to make it a day trip if possible. All this short notice travel from the Midwest is taking a toll on my bank account. Last three weeks I've been back and forth from the east coast at $300 to $400 a pop each time not including lodging.

#breakingthebank

I'm planning on going on December 5th, but Admissions said I will hear back tomorrow. I'll be flying from Cali so it will be a bit of a trek (probably need to miss 2 days of work). I think I'll cash in American Airlines miles for this one if it will be more than $300 to fly. I totally feel you about the cost of this though, I've done 3 cross country trips and definitely spent more than a grand, but if we get fellowships we will have to stop complaining :-D !

nycbiker wrote:

Thanks! I received the email confirming that it was sent to the schools at 7AM also on Friday.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
djtriptick wrote:
FYI
Businessweek Admissions Q&A: USC Marshall (September 28, 2011)
The number of applicants to the Marshall school is lower this year than in the past two years. Is there an explanation for this? What kind of applicants are you seeing?

"Actually, international applications are higher than last year, especially from India and China. Domestic applications, however, are relatively flat, with the exception of our dip in applications from underrepresented minorities, which can be attributed to the recent inclusion of two other West Coast business schools in the ranks of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management [an organization that promotes diversity in business and awards full-tuition fellowships]. Prior to this last application cycle, USC Marshall was the only West Coast school in the group of 15 member schools."

I guess I contributed to this by applying to Haas/Anderson and not Marshall. I think this is good competitive information for those considering USC or West Coast schools.

That's good information!

Also, on Poets and Quants there was an article last week that said Accepted students at Marshall went from 23% in 2010 to 38% in 2011 and average GMAT went from 690 in 2010 down to 670. These are HUGE differences year over year. After visiting the school for diversity day I'm still in love with the program regardless. If they gave out more fellowships on average I would have ranked them #1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I'm in for R2! I have a rough draft of all of my essays and Im retaking the GMAT in a few weeks (first attempt was 660). My rankings are:

1.NYU
2.Cornell
3.USC
4.UCLA

Does anyone know if we are supposed to send our official transcripts to each of the schools before the deadline or if the unofficial transcript that we upload to the application is all that they need to make a decision?

Good luck everyone!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
treydingo wrote:
I'm in for R2! I have a rough draft of all of my essays and Im retaking the GMAT in a few weeks (first attempt was 660). My rankings are:

1.NYU
2.Cornell
3.USC
4.UCLA

Does anyone know if we are supposed to send our official transcripts to each of the schools before the deadline or if the unofficial transcript that we upload to the application is all that they need to make a decision?

Good luck everyone!

First off Trey,

Congrats on taking the plunge! Unofficial transcripts (no screen shot) scanned and uploaded will be fine. If you can get a hold of an official transcript, scan and upload that may be better. Schools will request it once you've accepted their offer. As a side note, do make sure you have your GMAT score report sent to CGSM prior to submitting your application.

Good luck on your next GMAT, I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Consortium Applicants,

A bit of exciting news (well maybe). Last night the gmatclub.com site admin and I started brainstorming ways we could make this forum more user friendly (ala detailed stats for Consortium applications with basic information for schools as well).

If you look at some of the other roll call pages (Kellogg, Darden, Stanford, etc.) they have a very nice breakdown of valuable stats so users can understand how they fit with specific schools superimposed with their peer group.

So now we're currently working out how this is going to look without overdoing it on the charts and stats. If anyone has suggestions or comments on what you may want this to look like, weigh in... I'm hoping to get this up primarily for the benefit of those applying Round 2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
treydingo wrote:

1.NYU
2.Cornell
3.USC
4.UCLA

Good luck everyone!

First off Trey,

Congrats on taking the plunge! Unofficial transcripts (no screen shot) scanned and uploaded will be fine. If you can get a hold of an official transcript, scan and upload that may be better. Schools will request it once you've accepted their offer. As a side note, do make sure you have your GMAT score report sent to CGSM prior to submitting your application.

Good luck on your next GMAT, I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park.

Thanks TheSenator! I'll be sure to have the CGSM recieve my official scores. I didn't know that they needed them so this is really good info. Fingers crossed for a 700+ and acceptance to one of these schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
Consortium Applicants,

A bit of exciting news (well maybe). Last night the gmatclub.com site admin and I started brainstorming ways we could make this forum more user friendly (ala detailed stats for Consortium applications with basic information for schools as well).

If you look at some of the other roll call pages (Kellogg, Darden, Stanford, etc.) they have a very nice breakdown of valuable stats so users can understand how they fit with specific schools superimposed with their peer group.

So now we're currently working out how this is going to look without overdoing it on the charts and stats. If anyone has suggestions or comments on what you may want this to look like, weigh in... I'm hoping to get this up primarily for the benefit of those applying Round 2.

I was actually thinking the same thing and wrote to bb about it, great minds, eh? He forwarded me what you sent him and I think it looks great, was that the compiled info from last year's consortium class?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
TheSenator wrote:
Consortium Applicants,

I was actually thinking the same thing and wrote to bb about it, great minds, eh? He forwarded me what you sent him and I think it looks great, was that the compiled info from last year's consortium class?

It was actually a dummy, representative of roll call 2012. We probably will have to compile data from last year or just go off of the CGSM Annual reports basic statistics. Stinks we are just getting this organized this year. I wonder if bb can mine the data from last year's class?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Well last year's thread did have a roll call on the first page, it wasn;t an attachment just people posting as it went along, though I don't think the updates continued after a certain point. For this year maybe we can look through the thread thus far, or we could ask that people post their Consortium schools so we can compile the data. Did you get a chance to look at what I sent bb? i used the CBS spreadsheet as a guide and added the option for multiple schools.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
Consortium Applicants,

An easy first step is to add Consortium round numbers to the profile page. That would let us visit each school's roll call page to see our school specific Consortium pool. It sidesteps the issue of disclosing school rankings and it doesn't try to fit 17 roll calls onto one Consortium thread.

For the Consortium thread itself, I think the real value is just a list of members who have at least 1 Consortium round on their profile. Each school is so different in terms of Consortium round pooling, interview dates, decision dates and even GPA/GMAT affinities that I'm not sure there's much value in trying to aggregate all of the data into one roll call pool. Limiting the Consortium thread to a member listing does add networking value though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
method wrote:
TheSenator wrote:
Consortium Applicants,

An easy first step is to add Consortium round numbers to the profile page. That would let us visit each school's roll call page to see our school specific Consortium pool. It sidesteps the issue of disclosing school rankings and it doesn't try to fit 17 roll calls onto one Consortium thread.

For the Consortium thread itself, I think the real value is just a list of members who have at least 1 Consortium round on their profile. Each school is so different in terms of Consortium round pooling, interview dates, decision dates and even GPA/GMAT affinities that I'm not sure there's much value in trying to aggregate all of the data into one roll call pool. Limiting the Consortium thread to a member listing does add networking value though.

Method,

Do you want to try to hammer this out with Johnny and myself? I agree with your assessment. I created a simple bar chart last night that lays out the number of students applying with base data points underneath each bar (GPA, GMAT and WE) that would automatically update when Consortium applicants updated their profile.

Most other data points would just be an aggregate of Consortium applicants overall, much like that of the other schools. Johnny did have a good idea of having a spreadsheet that was a bit extended where you can see which schools each member is applying to, but I'm not sure if adding 17 additional charts is useful or more importantly user friendly for forum members.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
It shouldn't be that hard I wouldn't think to add CGSM 1 and CGSM 2 to the profile school round drop-down list, I don't think? Once there, it should already flow through to the existing roll call data queries. For a brand new, distinct Consortium query, it's just something like this in SQL, if that's what GMATClub is running off of:

select username, gmat, gpa, age, we, industry, function, concentration
from dbo.applicant base
where exists (select * from dbo.applicantschools filter where (filter.round = 'CGSM1' or filter.round = 'CGSM2') and filter.username = base.username)

Feel free to PM me if there's anything more I can do!
Attachments

cgsm.jpg
cgsm.jpg [ 116.54 KiB | Viewed 3285 times ]

Originally posted by method on 22 Nov 2011, 15:07.
Last edited by method on 22 Nov 2011, 15:13, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  118   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts