Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
method wrote:
mixedin86 wrote:
So on the bright side I got an e-mail from Tepper this morning saying my application was complete pending interview. This was my first contact from one of the school since Consortium forwarded my application.

However, once I logged into CMU's site, I saw that it had listed all of the schools, in order, that I applied to that I ranked higher than CMU. So that pretty much confirmed that the schools see the rankings, at least for the schools ranked higher than them, before they admit students. So even though they aren't suppose to use rankings in admissions decisions, they probably will to protect their yields a bit. Not cool, not cool at all. Grrrr.

Posted from my mobile device

Haha, wow! You're exactly right. My Tepper application also lists the other schools in order of my Consortium ranking. Hilariously, they entered Michigan State instead of Michigan as one of my selections. So they must be manually entering these, but my list did include schools I ranked below Tepper too.

Also for those tracking Tepper, I got the same complete/pending e-mail as you, and then about 90 minutes later received my interview invite.

Well now you have me worried since I haven't recieved an interview invite yet! thanks jerk, way to ruin my Thanksgiving! haha, jk.

But I am a bit worried that they didn't list the school I ranked below them because after I submitted my app there was some kind of glitch in the matrix and my 6th school didn't show on my pdf rankings sheet. I called and spoke with Consortium and they said they knew of the issue and everything would be alright. But now I think I better give them another call and make sure my app got submitted to my 6th ranked school. Silly Consortium.

Good look on your interview though!
Director
Director
Send PM
mixedin86 wrote:
Well now you have me worried since I haven't recieved an interview invite yet! thanks jerk, way to ruin my Thanksgiving! haha, jk.

But I am a bit worried that they didn't list the school I ranked below them because after I submitted my app there was some kind of glitch in the matrix and my 6th school didn't show on my pdf rankings sheet. I called and spoke with Consortium and they said they knew of the issue and everything would be alright. But now I think I better give them another call and make sure my app got submitted to my 6th ranked school. Silly Consortium.

Good look on your interview though!

Haha, sorry mate! I'm sure you'll get yours soon enough :-D

And yeah, agree on the Consortium silliness. The recommendation e-mail thing was weird and I had a glitch or two when I changed my total # of school apps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
All else equal, does applying via the Consortium increase, decrease, or keep the same your odds at getting into the b-schools you pick?

While I've heard some schools say it doesn't matter (or change odds) which way you apply (directly or via the Consortium), I am wondering how true this is. E.g. some schools say the same about early decision vs. non-early decision, but in reality the students there have told me otherwise, and that early decision significantly increases the probability. This also probably depends by school, as some schools have a more robust process applying directly and a less robust process online.

Thought? Anyone have actual experience with this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Send PM
robface wrote:
All else equal, does applying via the Consortium increase, decrease, or keep the same your odds at getting into the b-schools you pick?

While I've heard some schools say it doesn't matter (or change odds) which way you apply (directly or via the Consortium), I am wondering how true this is. E.g. some schools say the same about early decision vs. non-early decision, but in reality the students there have told me otherwise, and that early decision significantly increases the probability. This also probably depends by school, as some schools have a more robust process applying directly and a less robust process online.

Robface,

First of all welcome. Second, I think most schools are beyond ED so you may as well forget that option. If you're applying next year the ED option for schools like Tuck matters. With regards to R1 v R2 Consortium it depends on the school. Some schools (eg Yale) consider the pool together, while some schools (eg Darden) consider students in two separate pools. Again, each school has their own policy around how many they accept in each Round if they consider separately (refer back a few pages for a partial list of schools the consider them separately and together).

As a side note several schools in the Consortium will make you fill out there complete application anyways, so I don't see the downside to applying through Consortium if you'll have to do all the essays anyways. At the end of the day call the adcom directly that can provide the best answers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
robface wrote:

Robface,

First of all welcome. Second, I think most schools are beyond ED so you may as well forget that option. If you're applying next year the ED option for schools like Tuck matters. With regards to R1 v R2 Consortium it depends on the school. Some schools (eg Yale) consider the pool together, while some schools (eg Darden) consider students in two separate pools. Again, each school has their own policy around how many they accept in each Round if they consider separately (refer back a few pages for a partial list of schools the consider them separately and together).

As a side note several schools in the Consortium will make you fill out there complete application anyways, so I don't see the downside to applying through Consortium if you'll have to do all the essays anyways. At the end of the day call the adcom directly that can provide the best answers.

Thanks The Senator and good luck in interviews and applications!
Director
Director
Send PM
robface wrote:

While I can't say that it helps or hurts your chances, I think admissions officers at any school will tell you to apply through the Consortium for the networking opportunities alone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Cornell (Matriculated - Consortium Fellowship), Yale (Admitted), Georgetown (Admitted + $$), UCLA (Admitted + $$), NYU (WL)
 Q44  V42
Send PM
robface wrote:

Originally posted by VLM on 23 Nov 2011, 23:00.
Last edited by VLM on 24 Nov 2011, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
I don't mean to cross any racial boundaries here, but how many of you are not actually underrepresented minorities?

I am not. Anybody else?
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
Congrats on the invite Senator!

I actually am just now getting my app processed by the Consortium as they didn't get my Mission recommendation, so I had to sort all of that out.

What are everyone's rankings btw

mine went:
NYU
Cornell
Emory
UCLA
USC

Did you go with the target school first, and then the back up schools last?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
gablaze23 wrote:
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
Congrats on the invite Senator!

I actually am just now getting my app processed by the Consortium as they didn't get my Mission recommendation, so I had to sort all of that out.

What are everyone's rankings btw

mine went:
NYU
Cornell
Emory
UCLA
USC

Did you go with the target school first, and then the back up schools last?

Yes and No. Though the final order was a game-time decision

NYU is my first choice and has been through the process and Cornell actually is my 2nd choice (a close one at that) though I may not have said the same thing 2-3 months ago. UCLA however I would've put 3rd but given what I've heard about they're lack of CGSM fellowships I put Emory ahead of them. However I still put USC behind UCLA b/c of preference and I figure it would only worsen my chances at the more competitive program if I were to put them 5 out of 5 of my Consortium schools, although 4 can't be much better :oops:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey all -

I will be applying to the Consortium for Round 2 and was hoping someone could help me out a little with choosing schools to apply to. I've been researching all of the Consortium schools, but they all seem a lot alike.

My stats:
3.2 UG GPA / 710 GMAT
3 years WE (General HR)
JD (Top 10 school)
Lots of leadership positions, etc.
Black

I'm mostly interested in pursuing a career in general management or consulting. Are there any schools that I should be looking at? What are good reaches, targets, safeties, etc.?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
kilobravo wrote:
Hey all -

I will be applying to the Consortium for Round 2 and was hoping someone could help me out a little with choosing schools to apply to. I've been researching all of the Consortium schools, but they all seem a lot alike.

My stats:
3.2 UG GPA / 710 GMAT
3 years WE (General HR)
JD (Top 10 school)
Black

I'm mostly interested in pursuing a career in general management or consulting. Are there any schools that I should be looking at? What are good reaches, targets, safeties, etc.?

Are you only looking at schools within the Consortium? Does class size matter? Does location matter? How many school sare you looking to apply to through the Consortium? That info would be helpful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
kilobravo wrote:
Hey all -

My stats:
3.2 UG GPA / 710 GMAT
3 years WE (General HR)
JD (Top 10 school)
Black

Are you only looking at schools within the Consortium? Does class size matter? Does location matter? How many school sare you looking to apply to through the Consortium? That info would be helpful.

Thanks for the response. I am only looking at Consortium schools. The class size doesn't really matter to me. Location also isn't an important factor. I'd prefer to be in a big city, but I'd trade location for better career opportunities. I'm looking to apply to about 6 schools. Ideally, I'd like to end up in Southern California (LA or SD) after graduation. So I was looking at UCLA as sort of a #1 option. I received my JD from Michigan. So, I wouldn't mind going back to Ann Arbor. Also interested in Berkeley, CMU, Cornell, NYU, USC, UT, and UVA. I just want to know where I'd have a realistic shot of gaining admission.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
kilobravo wrote:

Thanks for the response. I am only looking at Consortium schools. The class size doesn't really matter to me. Location also isn't an important factor. I'd prefer to be in a big city, but I'd trade location for better career opportunities. I'm looking to apply to about 6 schools. Ideally, I'd like to end up in Southern California (LA or SD) after graduation. So I was looking at UCLA as sort of a #1 option. I received my JD from Michigan. So, I wouldn't mind going back to Ann Arbor. Also interested in Berkeley, CMU, Cornell, NYU, USC, UT, and UVA. I just want to know where I'd have a realistic shot of gaining admission.

Thanks!

From what it sounds like all three schools in Cal would fit the bill... You'd have the highest likelihood of ending up in SoCal and they're all in or near big cities. McCombs may also be a solid option for you.

Consulting opportunities will be abundant at most schools you listed and of course at Consortium OP you should get a head start on recruiting season.

The other suggestion that I have, and this is just my opinion, NYU and Darden may very well appreciate the fact you have a JD. Darden because of the rigor of the program -if you've gone thru law school you can likely handle Darden- and the fact that many of their grads end up in DC. NYU may like you because the combination of a JD with and MBA would certainly help in the banking industry, particularly consulting on M & A deals.

At the end of day I think you have a good chance of getting in at any of the aforementioned schools as long as your story is on point. GPA and GMAT is part of the puzzle but not the be all end all of where you end up.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:

From what it sounds like all three schools in Cal would fit the bill... You'd have the highest likelihood of ending up in SoCal and they're all in or near big cities. McCombs may also be a solid option for you.

Consulting opportunities will be abundant at most schools you listed and of course at Consortium OP you should get a head start on recruiting season.

The other suggestion that I have, and this is just my opinion, NYU and Darden may very well appreciate the fact you have a JD. Darden because of the rigor of the program -if you've gone thru law school you can likely handle Darden- and the fact that many of their grads end up in DC. NYU may like you because the combination of a JD with and MBA would certainly help in the banking industry, particularly consulting on M & A deals.

At the end of day I think you have a good chance of getting in at any of the aforementioned schools as long as your story is on point. GPA and GMAT is part of the puzzle but not the be all end all of where you end up.

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the input! I really appreciate it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Just out of curiosity for first rounders... Once you get an acceptance will you start withdrawing apps from other schools? I know it depends on where they were ranked, etc. But I wonder what everyone's consideration criteria is.

For the record I have not been accepted anywhere yet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
Just out of curiosity for first rounders... Once you get an acceptance will you start withdrawing apps from other schools? I know it depends on where they were ranked, etc. But I wonder what everyone's consideration criteria is.

For the record I have not been accepted anywhere yet.

I don't think I will. My first choice is probably the school I'll hear back from last and Georgetown decisions come out in 2 weeks, so these next few months will be interesting to say the least.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14  ...  118   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts