Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
TheSenator wrote:
Just out of curiosity for first rounders... Once you get an acceptance will you start withdrawing apps from other schools? I know it depends on where they were ranked, etc. But I wonder what everyone's consideration criteria is.

For the record I have not been accepted anywhere yet.

Lol. I can't wait to have a problem like this :-D But if I were in this situation, I would not withdraw my apps from other schools even if I get into my top choice for the following reasons:

1. I want to see whether other schools will offer me $$$
2. I already paid for the admissions fee, so might as well find out if other schools would offer me a spot! :-D
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
Just out of curiosity for first rounders... Once you get an acceptance will you start withdrawing apps from other schools? I know it depends on where they were ranked, etc. But I wonder what everyone's consideration criteria is.

For the record I have not been accepted anywhere yet.

I, for one, will not be withdrawing any applications early unless I recieve a full-ride fellowship from my #1 program. Funding is the most important factor for me at this point so I have to see how much, if anything, the programs will offer.

In other news, I got my interview invite from Tepper this morning. It sure will be good to have a decision from somewhere before 2012, unless that decision is a waitlist. :roll:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
mixedin86 wrote:
In other news, I got my interview invite from Tepper this morning.

Woohoo! :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
Hey guys, did anyone apply to Kenan Flagler R1? If so have you received any sort of confirmation? I got one from Ross, but not from KFBS.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
[quote/]I, for one, will not be withdrawing any applications early unless I recieve a full-ride fellowship from my #1 program. Funding is the most important factor for me at this point so I have to see how much, if anything, the programs will offer.

In other news, I got my interview invite from Tepper this morning. It sure will be good to have a decision from somewhere before 2012, unless that decision is a waitlist. :roll:[/quote]

Congrats on the interview! Great to hear we've got a steady flow of invites coming in. For me, I'm trying to balance my decision between funding and the experience. Personally, I would not trade 25k for a rich memorable experience with my classmates.

My two cents.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
Also sumbitted 11/15, interview invitation from Darden on 11/21. Still haven't received any communication whatsoever from any other consortium schools.
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
mbalady wrote:
Hey guys, did anyone apply to Kenan Flagler R1? If so have you received any sort of confirmation? I got one from Ross, but not from KFBS.

Did you apply to Ross through the Consortium? I thought they combined the R1 and R2 together. I am a R2 applicant btw
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
teq wrote:
Also sumbitted 11/15, interview invitation from Darden on 11/21. Still haven't received any communication whatsoever from any other consortium schools.

Congratulations on your interview invite! Exciting news!

Did the consortium send your application right away? Mine was sent a week later, so I am hoping that is the reason why I have not received an invite yet.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gablaze23 wrote:
mbalady wrote:

Did you apply to Ross through the Consortium? I thought they combined the R1 and R2 together. I am a R2 applicant btw

Yeah I did Ross via the Consortium.. they do combine both rounds together, but when I submitted I received an email thanking me for my app etc. I don't expect to hear anything else from Ross for a while. I haven't received anything from KFBS yet, but I'm sure it's no cause for concern. Was just wondering if other folks did
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mbalady wrote:
Yeah I did Ross via the Consortium.. they do combine both rounds together, but when I submitted I received an email thanking me for my app etc. I don't expect to hear anything else from Ross for a while. I haven't received anything from KFBS yet, but I'm sure it's no cause for concern. Was just wondering if other folks did

Tepper and Darden seem to be the most responsive schools up to this point in terms of interview invites... unless there are lurkers out there who can indicate otherwise.

I received confirmations from Emory and Yale that my app had been received but am still waiting on Tuck, Cornell and Berkeley at this point. I expect that Tuck and Berkeley will take some time judging from year's past and I'm not exactly sure about Cornell.

At this point I wouldn't worry about it until two to three weeks from now. A lot of these schools are getting out their Early Action Round decisions and likely haven't even reviewed our apps yet.
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
Fellow applicants,

I am submitting my app this second round. I want to know how you all ranked your schools. I am very conscious about this bec I was told by the Consortium reps that schools get to see your rank? How did you do your rankings?

Should I make mine....
1. Reach
2. Range
3. Reach
4. Safety
5. Range
6. Range

or

1. Reach
2. Reach
3. Range
4. Range
5. Range
6. Safety
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gablaze23 wrote:
Fellow applicants,

I am submitting my app this second round. I want to know how you all ranked your schools. I am very conscious about this bec I was told by the Consortium reps that schools get to see your rank? How did you do your rankings?

Should I make mine....
1. Reach
2. Range
3. Reach
4. Safety
5. Range
6. Range

or

1. Reach
2. Reach
3. Range
4. Range
5. Range
6. Safety

I can't be of much help here, cos I only applied to 2 via the Consortium. Ranked my first choice first cos I know the ranking matters to them per the fellowship..and I'd love to go there. That's as much thought as I put into it. I'd love to learn about how folks who applied to more schools approached this though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
gablaze23 wrote:
Fellow applicants,

Should I make mine....
1. Reach
2. Range
3. Reach
4. Safety
5. Range
6. Range

or

1. Reach
2. Reach
3. Range
4. Range
5. Range
6. Safety

I wouldn't rank them in terms of 'reach', 'range', etc. The ranking (at least for me) was driven by which school I wanted to go to the most. So even if that school is your safety rank them number one. A lot of people have warned me against devising an overly complicated ranking system; and after talking with adcoms the advise I've received has been confirmed.

The other part I'd add for everyone... it's certainly appealing to rank schools based upon where they stand in BW, USNews, etc. but if it's really not a school that you think you'll enjoy, what's the point of spending 175K to go there?

That said, gablaze if your reach is truly your number one choice then go for it. Otherwise select the school you see yourself happiest at number one.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
gablaze23 wrote:
Fellow applicants,

Should I make mine....
1. Reach
2. Range
3. Reach
4. Safety
5. Range
6. Range

or

1. Reach
2. Reach
3. Range
4. Range
5. Range
6. Safety

I did:

1. Range
2. Range
3. Range
4. Reach
5. Range
6. Safety

I only applied to one school that I considered a reach for me (Haas) and I ranked it 4th because even if I'm admitted, I doubt I'd be fellowship worthy at that school. But, If I got in and didn't get fellowships anywhere else I could at least go to Haas and get a little discount with the in-state tuition. I probably took a different overall approach than most though cause at this point securing a fellowship is my most important factor. I would literally rather go to any Top-25 on a full-ride than Stanford with all loans. Call me dumb, call me crazy, but don't call me in debt. 8-)
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
gablaze23 wrote:
Fellow applicants,

Should I make mine....
1. Reach
2. Range
3. Reach
4. Safety
5. Range
6. Range

or

1. Reach
2. Reach
3. Range
4. Range
5. Range
6. Safety

I wouldn't rank them in terms of 'reach', 'range', etc. The ranking (at least for me) was driven by which school I wanted to go to the most. So even if that school is your safety rank them number one. A lot of people have warned me against devising an overly complicated ranking system; and after talking with adcoms the advise I've received has been confirmed.

The other part I'd add for everyone... it's certainly appealing to rank schools based upon where they stand in BW, USNews, etc. but if it's really not a school that you think you'll enjoy, what's the point of spending 175K to go there?

That said, gablaze if your reach is truly your number one choice then go for it. Otherwise select the school you see yourself happiest at number one.

What did the adcoms tell you? Did they tell you they won't punish you for ranking them 6th?

I am just a bit paranoid. Imagine all schools giving you the ding, and then your other "reach" and "safety" schools (ranked 5-6) who'd be very interested with you dings you too to protect their yield. That'll be a disaster!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
gablaze23 wrote:
What did the adcoms tell you? Did they tell you they won't punish you for ranking them 6th?

I am just a bit paranoid. Imagine all schools giving you the ding, and then your other "reach" and "safety" schools (ranked 5-6) who'd be very interested with you dings you too to protect their yield. That'll be a disaster!

Here's the fundamental question you have to answer... what's more important: The school or the fellowship? If it's the fellowship then rank your range or safety first.

If it's the school then rank your number one choice first (regardless of reach, range or safety). I'm in the camp of school first so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Additionally what I've heard from adcoms (specifically from some of the schools you are applying to) they consider your desire to go to the school ahead of all other variables if you are so much as within the competitive range to attend the school.

Something else to consider is that you CAN make it patently apparent through your essays and interviews that you really want to go to school somewhere... to a lot of adcoms that's what they are looking for when deciding fellowships.

Just consider it... I'd be happy to share deeper insights via PM.
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
gablaze23 wrote:

Here's the fundamental question you have to answer... what's more important: The school or the fellowship? If it's the fellowship then rank your range or safety first.

If it's the school then rank your number one choice first (regardless of reach, range or safety). I'm in the camp of school first so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Additionally what I've heard from adcoms (specifically from some of the schools you are applying to) they consider your desire to go to the school ahead of all other variables if you are so much as within the competitive range to attend the school.

Something else to consider is that you CAN make it patently apparent through your essays and interviews that you really want to go to school somewhere... to a lot of adcoms that's what they are looking for when deciding fellowships.

Just consider it... I'd be happy to share deeper insights via PM.

The school is more important IMO, but if both schools you like are reach , do you put them at your #1 or #2? I know this is my decision ultimately, but I just want to know how you guys ranked your schools.

Sent you a PM. This is fun!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15  ...  118   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts