Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink]
how was ambassador's day? I went to last year's, I could not go to this but I imagine it was the same information. AMB Day is what really captured my interest for LGO. I hope I get admitted this year.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have a question for current LGOs listening into this board (or LGO alumni). Is there a bucket for how many internships for each of the different schools there will be ? i.e. we only have 10 for ESD, 5 for Environmental and Civil Eng, 2 for Aero and Astro, etc?

And what kind of internships are you guys as current LGOs getting or aiming for (company, topic of research)?

Thanks!
Current Student
Send PM
Hi fsaq,

That's a very good question.

There are definitely not any official quotas for internships by engineering discipline. To a large extent, any LGO can sign-up to interview for any internship. There are no restrictions made by engineering major. That being said, some of the more technical assignments obviously may be better served by an LGO with a complimentary background (i.e. drug design or manufacturing might be best suited to a chemical engineer), and the partner company's often express their preferences in this regard, but there's certainly nothing stopping any LGO from interviewing.

The off-cycle internships (February - August) were just announced, and we have about 20% of the class that will be doing off-cycle this year. We had several operations offerings from Amazon, process engineering offerings from our local hospital partners, and some supply chain jobs with Nike, to name a few.

I'm actually going to be doing an off-cycle internship with Nike looking at production readiness for their new NFL product lineup being released next Spring.

Hope that helps!
Bob
Manager
Manager
Send PM
If you guys are applying to LGO through Sloan, are you guys mentioning in the cover letter question the fact that you want to get into LGO or should the cover letter address the adcoms as if you were only seeking admission to the Sloan program? Any LGO want to share some of his/her experiences as to how they did it? Thanks!
Current Student
Send PM
fsaq,

Definitely write the cover letter with the intention of getting into LGO.

Assume that the first person who will see your application will be the director of LGO. Now, I don't know that this is literally true, exactly, but that's my advice as to the tone and theme of your application. Make it "all LGO, all the time."

Hope that helps!
Bob
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Excellent Platform

Bob,

You mentioned that applying for an engineering track we should keep our competition in mind and at the same time it should fit our goals.

Someone like me with a BE in Mechanical Engineering and a minor (& 2 published papers) in BioMedical Engieering might have a better chance at cracking the BioMed track of Mechanical Engineering but since I was looking at a career heavy equipment manufacturing (current exp in the technology division of same domain) I though the Manufacturing Systems track would make more sense. After reading your response to Rajadi I am slightly confused. Should I select my engineering track based on my strength or on what fits my goal ?

Thanks
Current Student
Send PM
Hi Carmon,

My advice on considering your background when selecting an Engineering major was focused more on departments as a whole, and not on tracks within a department. For example, if your undergraduate degree & background is in Mechanical Engineering, it may not be wise to apply to Electrical Engineering unless you have a compelling reason to do so.

It sounds like you're considering two tracks in the Mechanical Engineering department, right (BME & Manufacturing)? If this is the case, then you should be all set. The ME department isn't going to review a BME-track application differently than it's going to review a Manufacturing-track application.

Overall, I would recommend keeping in mind the main reason for which you'd likely be coming to graduate school: further preparing you for your future career. Use that vision as guidance in your application, not what you think will give you the best chance to get in.

Bob
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Bob,Zach
I'm applying to the LGO program. I have an experience of 28 months till now(35 months till Jun 11).
Will this affect my application,since the average experience in the current batch is about 4.6 yrs ?

My profile :
Company : Cisco Systems,Bangalore(LGO Partner)
Role : Leading 3 teams of 6 people each(One of youngest leaders in Cisco)
Undergrad : National Institute of Technology,India(among reputable college in India).
GPA :3.7 (major)
GRE :1450(760+690)
Publications : 4 Patents in progress.
Interest : Product development and process innovation in Computer Networking.

Please let me know.
Current Student
Send PM
Hi ashwinshankar,

As I am a current student with no tangible input (or even visibility) to the workings of the admissions process, I unfortunately can't comment on the specifics of your profile.

Regarding your level of experience, my advice is to apply when you feel like you are ready. In graduate school, much of the coursework and discussion is predicated upon the experience of the students in the class. There is no substitute for this, and you'll get much more out of the classes when you can relate to the discussions through your own career experiences.

I would try to view your endeavor into graduate school as a forum for acquiring the skills you lack to take your career in the direction you want it to go. Once you know what direction that is, and what skills you need to acquire to get there, then your application should write itself.

Bob
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Bob.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello again, to anycurrent LGO:

For the recomendattions, did you guys get a very high profile company person (CEO CFO type of guys) or did you guys used your managers or supervisors, perhaps even peers?

I have one rec to give out still and I am thinking wether it should go to the highest rank I get along with or just other managers or people that truly really know my work.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
First of all apologies for late response, i had been travelling and couldn't write updates :( ..

I had attended LGO Ambassador day and it was wonderful. There was so much energy in the atmosphere and everyone was accomplished in some of the other sense. Our tour was organized by Victoria and she knew almost every corner of MIT and its history (Since I always consider MIT as best engineering school, I enjoyed learning about it). Every one was so welcoming and willing to share their thoughts
LGO felt more like a corporate setting than a b-school setting and it didn't feel like an MBA with some engineering inputs or vice-versa. I found a focus on engineering with a manager's eye and this is what I had been looking from a program.
The visit was also critical for me as I wasn't able to decide on the engineering track (for me the two engineering tracks were in two different departments). I was lucky that I could attend a second class on the next day, and got a feel of the difference on the classes in the two engineering tracks and now I know I am applying to Mechanical Engineering

Overall, I recommend everyone considering to apply to LGO to visit LGO if possible, as its not a regular MBA and it may be more different than you imagined.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ashwinshanker, since it says the average is about 4.6 years, there have to be people with lesser no. of wrok-ex. Having said that, there are students in both LGO 12 and LGO 13 who had similar amount of work-ex
Hope that helps....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
A question to all:
For LGO, we need 3 reco and the third should be from some one who can speak comprehensively about my technical abilities, preferably from an academic source
Does it definitely have to be from a professor, or could it be also from a manager. Its important for me, as even though I am in regular touch with my professors, its been six years since I passed out of college (and it is considered a long time I guess)
Pls help
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello everybody,

I am keen on applying for the MIT LGO programme, but I find myself in bit of a quandary- I am a Computer Science Engineering graduate who is keen on applying to the ESD dept, specifically the Manufacturing and Supply Chain track. While I understand from the LGO website that one either needs to have a MS in any field or a BS in Industrial Engineering to apply for it, it also mentions that weightage will be given to the work experience. I was a senior software engineer working in the SAP Governance, Risk and Control Practice at Bosch for 3.5 years. Currently I'm based in the Middle East working in the procurement division of a manufacturing company(for a change, i've become the end user of an ERP system :-D ) that provides extruded aluminium profiles for the construction needs of the region. From my pov, it makes more sense for me to major in ESD than EECS. But will my application be considered because I only have an undergraduate engineering degree in Computer Science?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rnin wrote:
Hello everybody,

I am keen on applying for the MIT LGO programme, but I find myself in bit of a quandary- I am a Computer Science Engineering graduate who is keen on applying to the ESD dept, specifically the Manufacturing and Supply Chain track. While I understand from the LGO website that one either needs to have a MS in any field or a BS in Industrial Engineering to apply for it, it also mentions that weightage will be given to the work experience. I was a senior software engineer working in the SAP Governance, Risk and Control Practice at Bosch for 3.5 years. Currently I'm based in the Middle East working in the procurement division of a manufacturing company(for a change, i've become the end user of an ERP system :-D ) that provides extruded aluminium profiles for the construction needs of the region. From my pov, it makes more sense for me to major in ESD than EECS. But will my application be considered because I only have an undergraduate engineering degree in Computer Science?

Hey rnin,
Though, I am not from the adcom, but I don't think you need to worry about it. The application center clearly states that 'Engineering Systems' doesn't require a specific engineering degree. Your application should be considered.
However, a word of caution, since ESD has the highest intake, and EECS one of the lowest; you need to frame your story pretty solid. I can see, you've more experience in supply-chain than CS, you need to communicate the same firmly and it would make a lot of good if one of your managers can vouch about your supply-chain knowledge
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rajadi wrote:

Hey rnin,
Though, I am not from the adcom, but I don't think you need to worry about it. The application center clearly states that 'Engineering Systems' doesn't require a specific engineering degree. Your application should be considered.
However, a word of caution, since ESD has the highest intake, and EECS one of the lowest; you need to frame your story pretty solid. I can see, you've more experience in supply-chain than CS, you need to communicate the same firmly and it would make a lot of good if one of your managers can vouch about your supply-chain knowledge

Program Details-> Engg Programs->ESD-> 'The Leaders for Global Operations Connection: Engineering systems is an appropriate field for LGO students who already have a master's degree in an engineering field or an undergraduate degree in a field such as industrial engineering.' (Since I'm a new member to this forum, I can't post the link.)

I know this statement doesn't really exclude students who've done their undergrad in other fields, but I thought I could use some clarification about this before I decide to invest time in preparing a LGO app with a ESD focus.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  14   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts