Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink]
Hey guys!! As most of you know might be knowing SAI results are out. Congrats to all the applicants who got selected.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Guys!!!
I have created this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/157527471015761/ for all the applicants who got selected in the first round i.e. the autumn session through the SAI application process.

Enjoy!! Hope to see you all on board.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey people!

This is my first post on this forum so forgive me if I'm asking a very obvious question.

I went through SAI's online application guide and no where has it been mentioned about a SOP. I was under the impression that all schools would need one. Do we need to draft one? Your response is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rahul
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:HEC
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I am currently in the second year of the MSc Management at HEC (Grande École), got admitted this year.

In case you have any questions write in here or shoot me a message.

In terms of application: HEC is pretty competitive to get into, especially for Indians, since a large number applies (and since I see the majority writing here to be Indians). I don't know any Indian in the program with a GMAT below 700, most of them have a GMAT anywhere from 720 to 740. Most of the Indians here are engineers, we have one or two computer science majors, one physicist and one guy, who did Pharmacy. The schools are mostly Bits Pilani (I don't know my way around Indian schools, however, so this might be biased).

So if you have a GMAT below 690 I consider that your application might face very tough competition, as a lot of Indians with a better GMAT score will apply and to be honest (and I don't mean to be racist): I believe it is very difficult for a European person to distinguish between the different schools in India and to evaluate how good a top 1% at one school is compared to a top 5% at IIMA, simply because there is such a huge variety in India and also China. This is why the GMAT becomes much more important for you guys.

Most people in the program have done engineering before (especially the Spanish and Indian people), some did Economics and some (especially the Germans) did Business and Management beforehand. However, we also have people, who did International Relations, History, Pharmacy, Hotel Management, or Physics before.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Gottesschaf wrote:
I am currently in the second year of the MSc Management at HEC (Grande École), got admitted this year.

In case you have any questions write in here or shoot me a message.

In terms of application: HEC is pretty competitive to get into, especially for Indians, since a large number applies (and since I see the majority writing here to be Indians). I don't know any Indian in the program with a GMAT below 700, most of them have a GMAT anywhere from 720 to 740. Most of the Indians here are engineers, we have one or two computer science majors, one physicist and one guy, who did Pharmacy. The schools are mostly Bits Pilani (I don't know my way around Indian schools, however, so this might be biased).

So if you have a GMAT below 690 I consider that your application might face very tough competition, as a lot of Indians with a better GMAT score will apply and to be honest (and I don't mean to be racist): I believe it is very difficult for a European person to distinguish between the different schools in India and to evaluate how good a top 1% at one school is compared to a top 5% at IIMA, simply because there is such a huge variety in India and also China. This is why the GMAT becomes much more important for you guys.

Most people in the program have done engineering before (especially the Spanish and Indian people), some did Economics and some (especially the Germans) did Business and Management beforehand. However, we also have people, who did International Relations, History, Pharmacy, Hotel Management, or Physics before.

Hi Gottesschaf,

Wanted your input on my query above. also, how crucial a role do your academics/grades play in the selection. I had a poor outing during my engineering however, I have good co-curriculars/extra-curriculars along with 16 months of experience.

Thanks for your reply!
Rahul
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V44
Send PM
To your first question: I have no clue what a SOP is. If it is a statement of purpose (judging from Google), I don't think you need one. There are some open-essay questions in the application process at the SAI-site that you need to answer that would come close to a statement of purpose.

To your second question: I don't believe that strong extra-curriculars play a stronger role compared to grades unless you have outstanding extra-curriculars, such as publishing a bestseller-book, having played in the national cricket team, been national/state champion in basketball, being a huge young talent in piano playing performing in front of 2000 people per night, etc. Hope you get the idea. If you have one of these your application will surely get a huge boost. But to face it: All people that apply had pretty good extra-curriculars, such as (and I am now only referring to the Indians I know) supervising some bridge construction projects for 4mm USD, being state champion in Tennis at the age of 17, etc.

Work experience is always a big plus (even bigger if it is a known company). I assume that you can even out bad grades with a particularly strong GMAT (720+). GMAT should always be important, especially if you are coming from Asia. For us Europeans/Westerns it is a bit easier sometimes as our university name sometimes already sends a signal about ourselves to the admission board (e.g., people that apply from England and graduated from LSE or Oxford/Cambridge; people that apply from the US and graduated from NYU/Columbia/UPenn, etc.).

All my advices are, however, just assumptions about the application process since I am neither in the admission board nor do I know how they function. I just base this on the people I know in my program and what I see and hear around me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Gottesschaf wrote:
To your first question: I have no clue what a SOP is. If it is a statement of purpose (judging from Google), I don't think you need one. There are some open-essay questions in the application process at the SAI-site that you need to answer that would come close to a statement of purpose.

To your second question: I don't believe that strong extra-curriculars play a stronger role compared to grades unless you have outstanding extra-curriculars, such as publishing a bestseller-book, having played in the national cricket team, been national/state champion in basketball, being a huge young talent in piano playing performing in front of 2000 people per night, etc. Hope you get the idea. If you have one of these your application will surely get a huge boost. But to face it: All people that apply had pretty good extra-curriculars, such as (and I am now only referring to the Indians I know) supervising some bridge construction projects for 4mm USD, being state champion in Tennis at the age of 17, etc.

Work experience is always a big plus (even bigger if it is a known company). I assume that you can even out bad grades with a particularly strong GMAT (720+). GMAT should always be important, especially if you are coming from Asia. For us Europeans/Westerns it is a bit easier sometimes as our university name sometimes already sends a signal about ourselves to the admission board (e.g., people that apply from England and graduated from LSE or Oxford/Cambridge; people that apply from the US and graduated from NYU/Columbia/UPenn, etc.).

All my advices are, however, just assumptions about the application process since I am neither in the admission board nor do I know how they function. I just base this on the people I know in my program and what I see and hear around me.

Hi Gottesschaf,

Thank you very much for your response. To be very honest, this has brought in a lot of clarity and it helps that you are pursuing your studies there right now :)
Thank you very much for your time. Will let you know how things pan put. FYI, will be giving GMAT on the 29th of Dec...so wish me luck.

Cheers,
Rahul
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Guys ,

I have scored 640(49 q, 28 v) and 4 in AWA in Gmat . I have around 18 months of work experience in Tata Consultancy Services . In extracurricular part i formed a dance group in my college which is currently the best dance group in University and 2nd in state . I have also been the President of a cultural club in my college which organized 23 out of 48 events for 6000+ students .
I am applying for the Winter session.
Do i stand a chance in getting into HEC Paris ??
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V44
Send PM
enigmaadi wrote:
Hello Guys ,

I have scored 640(49 q, 28 v) and 4 in AWA in Gmat . I have around 18 months of work experience in Tata Consultancy Services . In extracurricular part i formed a dance group in my college which is currently the best dance group in University and 2nd in state . I have also been the President of a cultural club in my college which organized 23 out of 48 events for 6000+ students .
I am applying for the Winter session.
Do i stand a chance in getting into HEC Paris ??

For grande école (MSc Management): No.
For MSc Finance: No.
For MIB and other specialized Masters: Yes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hi All,
Any other people out there who are waiting for the Winter deadline results from SAI?

I am an architect and will have a little over 2 years of work experience by september.

I have a 750 GMAT but average undergrad grades.

What are my odds at a school like HEC Paris?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It seems as if everyone finished applying in R1 and nobody has applied in R2. WHy are all the threads dead?
Is there nobody who got interview invites from the SAI schools today?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi neo...

I had applied to HEC, ESCP and EM-Lyon... got interview call from all 3....was surfing for interview questions and details....any idea about that? where all you got call from?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Also applied for the Winter Session for HEC,Lyon and ESCP and got the interview invite.
Don't feel too confident about my chances though, it's like everybody that applies is either Indian or Asian with 720+ GMAT's and they are ALL top 1% of their class :?

Anyways, would love to hear from anyone that had their R1 interview already.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Sj,

I applied to HEC, ESCP, EM Lyon and Audencia Nantes.
Got interview invites from all four.
From surfing the net and various forums, I gather that apart from discussing your background and what you expect from your career post the program and SOP sort of stuff, they also stress on why you're interested in studying in France.

What cities are you guys in?
EmandEm, I don't think you should feel so underconfident. If you have the kind of profile you describe, you have great chances.
I have a friend at HEC at present with a 720 GMAT and she was not in the top 1% of her class. And she also got great scholarships.
Also from the ESCP eligibility list you can see that Indians make up for about 10% of eligible people. That doesnt seem so bad.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi neo...

More than anything, this forum seems to be demotivating! I had a very low GMAT , even though got interview call...and thats an achievment for me...so i blv nything is possible...its all upto oneself how interview is done! Game of 30 minutes!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I got an invite for the SAI interview in Mumbai. I'd applied to HEC, ESCP and EMLYON. Any tips on the interview prep would be extremely helpful.

A little about me.
GMAT - 700
18 Months of WorkEx in technology consulting
CFA Level 1 cleared.
Decent Extra Currs

My problem is that my undergraduate grades are pretty screwed up. From what i've read, HEC really takes your UG performance into evaluation. Any views on that?
They seem to call a lot of people for the interviews i guess. Anyone who got dinged at this stage?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos