Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink]
with 10 days to go for final decision, im burrying my interview hopes NOW
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi Yale SOM applicants! FYI if you're applying through the Consortium Graduate Study in Management (CGSM), hop over to the Consortium 2012 Forum and Update Your Profile to reflect that you are applying through the Consortium.

It's simple. Just select your school as "Consortium, the", then indicate which specific institution(s) you'll be applying to and the Consortium round you'll be applying in. You can do all of this easily through the handy 'Add to Your Schools' link on the front page of the Consortium 2012 Forum.

We have a special analytics specifically for those candidates applying via Consortium and lots of useful tips for your application and assessment of your candidacy.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
anyone go to the interviews yesterday or today? met some of the candidates and had my interview. hoping to hear good news in 9 days but doubtful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.58
WE:Design (Other)
Kudos
Just finished my interview yesterday and wanted to post an update for those of you who might be curious. Here are my thoughts on my visit.
• The reputation seems to hold true. SOM students are indeed diverse and approachable. I felt very welcomed.
• The interview itself was very warm and friendly. Questions covered my resume in some detail and included a couple of behavioral questions ("Tell me about a time when you did...." "What was the most significant....") this sort of thing. It was clear that my interviewer chose behavioral questions based on potential concerns with my resume. I was impressed with that. For example, I come from a no-name undregrad school, so we talked about that, and as an entrepreneur I'm used to being in charge, so we talked about how I hold up on a team... That sort of thing.
• Overall, I'd say I was highly impressed with my interviewer. His questions were well chosen and discerning. He was articulate and to the point, but not at all pretentious. Considering the fact that he was a second year student, this was all the more impressive.
• The current facilities are a bit dated. Charming in their way, but dated. The classroom itself was just a bit on the pitiful side. Of course, this will change in '13 with the new facility.
• I definitely recommend reaching out to students - try to set up some coffee chats. If possible, do these before your interview (perhaps a day or two before). You never know what bit of worthwhile info you'll find.
• New Haven, I found, was just a bit gritty. Had dinner with some locals and heard all sorts of horror stories. This doesn't bother me, but if you are expecting a sleepy little ivy-league town (Hannover, maybe) you are going to be surprised.

I guess that's all I have to say. Acceptance letters come soon. I'm definitely anxious. I'd love to join the SOM community.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Just realized I didn't mention the professors or the class visit. I was impressed there as well. I sat in on one of the integrated curriculum classes that are part of the first year core. It's a whole different animal, but it does seem to be very effective. I enjoyed it.

Also, we had a question and answer time, and one of the professors sat in on that. Again, intelligent, approachable, insightful, entertaining, charming, and all sorts of other good things.

All said, the whole trip was worthwhile and enjoyable. I believe that SOM is underrated, and that with Dean Snyder at the helm and a new facility on the way, we're going to see some real shifts in the rankings over the next few years.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Do you think admissions will call this year, like they did last year? And think they will call 2 days before the deadline?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most likely they will call.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
curandom8 wrote:
Do you think admissions will call this year, like they did last year? And think they will call 2 days before the deadline?

Unless you are on the other side of the world, all admitted students will receive a phone call.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Anyone got any updates on their applications and/or interviews? Nervously waiting until Tuesday - that's when the Class of 2013 applicants started getting the calls.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
curandom8 wrote:
Anyone got any updates on their applications and/or interviews? Nervously waiting until Tuesday - that's when the Class of 2013 applicants started getting the calls.

You sure aren't alone. I once read that SOM accepts about 40% of interviewed applicants - certainly less than other programs. Emotionally at least, I think we've all got a lot riding on this. I certainly do. Good luck everyone.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Nails, literally bitten down to the quick. Eyeballs beginning to pop out due to blog-reading eye strain. That said, I'm having the most fun of my life!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NeilKC wrote:
curandom8 wrote:

You sure aren't alone. I once read that SOM accepts about 40% of interviewed applicants - certainly less than other programs. Emotionally at least, I think we've all got a lot riding on this. I certainly do. Good luck everyone.

I read (on Yale SOM's website) that 60% of interviewed applicants are typically accepted. It would be a bummer to be in the minority not accepted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 336 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi all,

I have problems with this essays question:

4. The intentions of our students to engage in a broad-minded business school community and to connect to an eminent and purposeful university greatly influences the Yale MBA experience. How do you plan to be involved in the Yale SOM and greater Yale communities as a student?

How do you answer this question?

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TrueLie wrote:
Hi all,

4. The intentions of our students to engage in a broad-minded business school community and to connect to an eminent and purposeful university greatly influences the Yale MBA experience. How do you plan to be involved in the Yale SOM and greater Yale communities as a student?

Thank you.

This is part "How much research have you done on SOM?" and "How do you see yourself fitting in here?" This is where you talk about the things you liked when you visited campus, or the things that current students and alumni have told you that really make you excited about going there. Speaking about clubs, about curriculum, about opportunities, and specifically what kinds of roles you'd like to take.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
TrueLie wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you.

This is a question where you should tell how would you contribute while showcasing your knowledge about the resources and activities available at Yale SOM.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
bizschoolprep wrote:
TrueLie wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you.

This is a question where you should tell how would you contribute while showcasing your knowledge about the resources and activities available at Yale SOM.

May I add - this questions appears to be written by Dean Snyder - any innovative idea of collaboration with the greater Yale community will get you extra points - put your entrepreneurial hats on and come up with something creative and doable!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
TrueLie wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you.

This is part "How much research have you done on SOM?" and "How do you see yourself fitting in here?" This is where you talk about the things you liked when you visited campus, or the things that current students and alumni have told you that really make you excited about going there. Speaking about clubs, about curriculum, about opportunities, and specifically what kinds of roles you'd like to take.

I quite like the way this question is framed. I think what the question is asking, in essence, is "Why Yale?".
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  42   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts