Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Official Business School Representative
Affiliations: Stockholm School of Economics
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [8]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: MSc Accounting
Schools:Stockholm School of Economics
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [3]
Send PM
Re: Ask a Program Advisor from Stockholm School of Economics [#permalink]
Kudos
Munhugg wrote:

In the admission requirements it is stated that "a recommended test result in the range of 600 or higher" on the GMAT is required; however, I can not find any information about the average GMAT score of students accepted to SSE. Is such information available?

If I were in Sweden I would gladly attend the informational session.

I emailed to one of the professors in the department and he responded that the average GMAT for MSc accounting students admitted for Fall 2011 is 679.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
The posts were fantastic; good reading and very informative. Thank you juvi999 for taking the time to write down your own experiences. The best information is from a direct source and it does not get any better than this. You also happened to be studying in the field I am interested in, which was a nice surprise.
Also, thank you for finding out the average GMAT score. That works as a good incentive for me to motive myself to study even harder. I will get back to you if I come up with any questions. For now, your post was more than sufficient.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Munhugg, no problem, at any time! And thanks for kuddos!

Good luck with GMAT! You have a half of year to prepare for SSE (the application time is Dec-Jan), so you have enough time to study hard and get a good score. :-D

Munhugg wrote:
The posts were fantastic; good reading and very informative. Thank you juvi999 for taking the time to write down your own experiences. The best information is from a direct source and it does not get any better than this. You also happened to be studying in the field I am interested in, which was a nice surprise.
Also, thank you for finding out the average GMAT score. That works as a good incentive for me to motive myself to study even harder. I will get back to you if I come up with any questions. For now, your post was more than sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT Date: 12-23-2011
GPA: 3
Send PM
Thanks for your very interestin post juvi999!

I too plan doing the MSC Accounting and Financial management program at the SSE. Unfortunately the application deadline is January the 15th, which is a bit stressful for me getting a good gmat score by then.
So my questions are:
1. how hard is it to get into the CEMS program ?
2. whats the tuition like? how is the student : professor ratio?
3. How high is the drop-out rate?
4. Although SSE is free, I ve heard and read that living expenses are enormous in Stockholm. What are the approximate costs of living?

greetings from Chile (although I am austrian ;) )
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Morty55!

We had at least one student from Chile this year (the one I personally met :), so it is nice to hear from another one. Let me try to briefly answer your questions. As far as I remember, the application is quite simple. It doesn't require any essays or recommendation letters for our program (unless they changed something). I think the deadline for a GMAT score is by the end of January but you should check that with the website. That gives you approximately 5 months. I heard people who took an exam and scored well after a week of preparation. Not everybody can do it but given that you have 5 months ahead of you, I think it's really doable. I would suggest you to spend a few hours every other day and to start now. We all have busy lives and you might think that you cannot dedicate the time needed but one hour here and there (as long as you continuously study), and you should be able to get a good score. Get a good material! This website should recommend you books and etc, regarding to those. Also, you can always take a crash course if you are willing to pay the money. So don't get discouraged! I think all schools love diverse people and you have a Chilean/Austrian background, which is quite interesting.

1. I would say most people who apply to CEMS get accepted. Most students at SSE are already quite excellent students, so it is not that hard. You can choose upto 5 schools, so you might not get into your top 1 but perhaps others. Of course, the spots for the best schools are rather limited so you compete against other SSE students, especially for most popular schools! :)

2. The tuition should be on the website. But if you hold an Austrian passport, it will be free for you. The EU citizens do not have to pay the tuition. That includes Switzerland and Norway as well. Regarding to the ration... don't quote me on that but we have around 50 students in each year of MSc Accounting and Financial Management program. If you want the exact numbers, perhaps you can email the admission office. And our faculty website is: https://www.hhs.se/DA/Pages/default.aspx. I really enjoyed taking classes with all of our professors and it will be sad not to see them again (the second year includes the electives/exchange and the thesis, so I won't see them much). One of the great professors that we have is Niclas Hellman. He has written quite a lot of work in the accounting field. I really enjoyed him. Others are great too - Ken Skogsvik, Tomas Hjelström, etc. It is hard to name them all. However, I have to note that in Sweden it is a different system that I am familiar with and they do not call everyone "a professor". I am used to calling everyone "a professor" who teaches at a university but it is different in Sweden. It is someone who holds the chair and there are a limited number of them.

3. Hmm I haven't heard any of drop outs. I know one person who quit her program after getting recruiting by McKinsey in London. She was not in our program though. Whether she is coming back to finish her degree later, I do not know. Students fail exams but they are also given a chance to retake them.

4. I would say living costs are parallel to other big cities. I lived in San Francisco prior to this, and the living costs are similar to me. Dining out and bars are more expensive but some other things are cheaper. So it is really relevant. However, the housing situation is quite difficult, so you need to be prepared. The university does not own any dormitories, all housing in Sweden is owned by housing associations that have strict rules regarding to renting, which makes it very limited. A bunch of international students move here every year, so the demand is high but the supply is not so. So you need to do research and learn more about it before hand.

Good luck! Start studying for GMAT!

juvi999

Morty55 wrote:
Thanks for your very interestin post juvi999!

I too plan doing the MSC Accounting and Financial management program at the SSE. Unfortunately the application deadline is January the 15th, which is a bit stressful for me getting a good gmat score by then.
So my questions are:
1. how hard is it to get into the CEMS program ?
2. whats the tuition like? how is the student : professor ratio?
3. How high is the drop-out rate?
4. Although SSE is free, I ve heard and read that living expenses are enormous in Stockholm. What are the approximate costs of living?

greetings from Chile (although I am austrian ;) )
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-23-2011
Send PM
Thanks again for the very informative reply!

Still Ive got a few more questions: how is the social life at the university? Are there (sufficient and good) eating, learning facilities? is the university near the city center? Is the tuition very college-like (I am used to 400 students/lecture :-D) What are approximately your monthly expenses?

I hope you dont mind asking me all this questions. Its a pleasure hearing about my (hopefully) future university :-D. Right now its ranked on first place of my favorites :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Morty55 wrote:
Thanks again for the very informative reply!

Still Ive got a few more questions: how is the social life at the university? Are there (sufficient and good) eating, learning facilities? is the university near the city center? Is the tuition very college-like (I am used to 400 students/lecture :-D) What are approximately your monthly expenses?

I hope you dont mind asking me all this questions. Its a pleasure hearing about my (hopefully) future university :-D. Right now its ranked on first place of my favorites :P

Hi Morty,

The school is located at Sveavägen 65, Stockholm which is the heart of Stockholm. You can basically walk to everything. The social life? :-) Well, we study hard and we party hard. There is definitely no lack of social life at SSE. Our student association is very active and it has tons of events every week. This is a web: https://www.hhss.se/ Not sure if you can see everything when you are not a member. But it is easy to get involved in so much to forget what we are here for in the first place. There are plenty of restaurants around of the school, all sorts of cuisines. Eating out is not cheap in Sweden, so perhaps you want to bring your own. We have a big space inside of the main building and during the summer many students like to eat in the park on the grass. Our school recently opened a small cafeteria inside but I haven't tried it yet.

We have some study areas inside of the school but they can be taken quickly. So the best place in my mind is student palatset. It is a huge building up a hill from the school only for students. You enter it using your student ID card and you can book your study space or a room for your team. It can get booked up quickly as well especially before the exams! :-) https://www.studentpalatset.se/ Another place is our PC labs. You can book a computer there as well. You can hang out and use computers in any student association's committee rooms as well, if you join a particular committee or become active in the student association. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student_As ... _Economics

We have about 40-100 students per lecture. The popular elective courses can have over 100 students but in some specialization courses it might be just your classmates (40-60 students per specialization). The monthly expenditures really depend. I worked quite a while now so I am used to spending much more than an average student plus I have a sambo (living boyfriend). I hear that room rentals are around 3500-4000 SEK monthly on average. Eating out is 60+ SEK for lunch. Dinners are more expensive. Alcohol is not cheap! :-) If you cook at home and shop at LIDL, it can be much less. So it really depends on your habits. In general, Scandinavian countries have high prices for consumer goods due to high taxes.

Mvh,
juvi999

p.s. we have lots of teamwork! :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Ask a Program Advisor from Stockholm School of Economics [#permalink]
deleted

Originally posted by omnikey on 19 Sep 2011, 08:02.
Last edited by omnikey on 24 Apr 2015, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
alexgmd wrote:
juvi99,

is there a student profile section on the website for this year's MSc in Business and Economics cohort? I couldn't find one, but I believe I saw one last year online. I'm interested in the Finance track. Do you know any info about the class size for this concentration, and/or GMAT&GPA stats?
alternatively, I will have to wait for new info on the website about this year's admission

Sorry alex for a late response. Have you tried the admission office? They should have all the stats. The class size is around 40-60 (I am not exactly sure since I am in a different specialization) and if I remember it correctly, an average of GMAT was quite high (probably the highest among all specializations). I think it was around 700. But to avoid to be misinformed, I would suggest you to shoot an email to the program director and admission office for exact statistics. They must have this information. Sorry that I could not be a better help.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello,

I have been following the SSE MSC in management course very closely, i am interested in knowing the kind of scholarship available. i understand education is free for locals and members from the EU, but will the fees be waived off for someone who is related to a citizen. I read a similar clause for some Scandinavian schools, but i would like it if someone sheds some light on the finer details.

Warm Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi, I just received my GRE scores. I have 161 quant score(770 old gre scale) and 3.5 analytical writing what is even lower than requirements(4,0-4,5) I have very good GPA 4,8 out of 5. I have been awarded the prize of the president of University as a recognition of my research paper ... Do I have a chance to get admitted to masters program Economics? Even if I do not meet requirements for the analytical writing score? My TOEFL iBT was 109(writing 27).
I found out with the admission office that the student profile was Q:710 and AW:4,2 on average, last year.
Could you please let me know how important is AW score?
Thank you for your answer.
Best regards Peter
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
Edit: Locked due to SSE inactivity. SSE team - please PM me if you are back.
Current Student
Send PM
Hi Peter,

I am not an admission officer so I cannot tell you how AW important is in the admission process. However, you will be writing a lot of academic work, including your thesis in English so you must be excellent or very good in English communication (verbally and writing).

I think you should apply and perhaps to include an explanation about your low score in AW. Were you nervous or misunderstood the question? It happens. I don't think that you should take the test again just to improve AW. I personally only took GMAT, so I don't know much about GRE.

Good luck! The application process I think just started a few weeks ago.

Juvi999 (current student, not admission officer)

peterchovanec wrote:
Hi, I just received my GRE scores. I have 161 quant score(770 old gre scale) and 3.5 analytical writing what is even lower than requirements(4,0-4,5) I have very good GPA 4,8 out of 5. I have been awarded the prize of the president of University as a recognition of my research paper ... Do I have a chance to get admitted to masters program Economics? Even if I do not meet requirements for the analytical writing score? My TOEFL iBT was 109(writing 27).
I found out with the admission office that the student profile was Q:710 and AW:4,2 on average, last year.
Could you please let me know how important is AW score?
Thank you for your answer.
Best regards Peter
Current Student
Send PM
Hi nikhilrudrappa,

Sorry for not responding to you. I have received quite a few private messages in the last few months and I might have mistaken that the email notification about your message with one of them. I just realized that there were a few messages under this post.

I am not an admission officer but a current student and the person who left an initial post here was from the MBA office, not MSc so they are not the right persons to ask. I don't want to mislead you but I have not heard of the tuition waiver based on a family member. If you are related to a EU citizen, then perhaps you should obtain a EU citizenship and as the result, you would not have to pay the tuition.

There have been some scholarships offered for non EU citizens, please read more here:
https://www.hhs.se/Education/MSc/MScGM/A ... dings.aspx

and there is another one:
https://www.hhs.se/Education/Scholarship ... fault.aspx

Also, look into your own country for funding. If you have any further questions, please contact the school admission.

juvi999

nikhilrudrappa wrote:
Hello,

I have been following the SSE MSC in management course very closely, i am interested in knowing the kind of scholarship available. i understand education is free for locals and members from the EU, but will the fees be waived off for someone who is related to a citizen. I read a similar clause for some Scandinavian schools, but i would like it if someone sheds some light on the finer details.

Warm Regards
Current Student
Send PM
For those who asked me more about the class profiles and so on, I think this report should be very useful. It is on the school website:

https://www.hhs.se/se/Education/Document ... 0_webb.pdf
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi!
I'm currently a junior student, and plan to apply for the master program 2013. My target school is SSE but sadly it's no longer free for students outside EU like me ... So I have some more practical questions here:

(1) Among all the programs offered by SSE, my favorite is Accounting & Financial Mgmt.
However it requires candidates to have "at least 90 ECTS in Business Administration".
My bachelor program is focused on finance, so I may not have sufficient credits in Business Administration.
Will the admission office decline my application because of this?

(2) How large is my possibility to get an SI scholarship? (my GPA: 3.8/4.3; GMAT: 760; TOEFL:111)

(3) Will it OK to apply for several programs of SSE? Will they think that I'm not focused?

(4) If I do apply for several programs of SSE, can I write different statements of purpose for each of the program?
I learn from universityadmissions.se that we're only required to submit one set of documents for all the programs we apply,
so I'm afraid that even if I submit four different statements, the admission center will only scan one of them into the system...

(5) Will everybody enroll in the executive trainee module? If not, what percentage?

(6) If I'm lucky enough to become a certified public auditor (auktoriserad revisor), will it be easy for me to find a job in Sweden?
And what kinds of tests must I take before becoming one? Is it like ACCA in Britain?

Any relevant information is more than welcome! Thank you very much! Tack!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am going to apply for the MSc Finance and Investment Management course starting in 2013. However I am doing the IMC and CFA Level 1 in December, so I won't be able to prepare for the GMAT in time for when applications open on 1 December. I know that you can apply without a GMAT score and take it later, but does this put you at a disadvantage relative to those who have their GMAT scores at the point of application?

Does anyone know what sort of proportion of conditional offers SSE make?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2