Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [69]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [18]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Re: The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland requires that all teachers have master’s degree and funds the same to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching.
[list]
A. degree and funds the same to ensure
B. degree, funds the same, and ensures
C. degree and fund the same to ensure
D. degree, funds the same, ensuring
E. degree, funding the same to ensure

This is subjunctive mood, and "fund" should be paralleled with "have". If "fund" is the noun, the correct form should be "the same fund", not "fund the same". So, easily we can eliminate A, B, and D.

In choice E, funding will make sense that the action of having master's degree will fund the same. I don't feel any sense in this case.

In choice C, this make more sense to me. All teachers fund the same to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching.

Originally posted by tuanquang269 on 15 Dec 2011, 02:59.
Last edited by tuanquang269 on 17 Dec 2011, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 752 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland [#permalink]
The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland requires that all teachers have master’s degree and funds the same to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching.

A. degree and funds the same to ensure -- not clear whether funding the teachers or Masters degree.
B. degree, funds the same, and ensures-- Organization cannot insure for sure. It can just try.
C. degree and fund the same to ensure -- singular funds is required here
D. degree, funds the same, ensuring-- funding the same to ensure-action to ensure something not automatically getting ensured.
E. degree, funding the same to ensure -- Present participle "funding" modifies the sentence before the comma." Same" here refers to the policy of the organization to have all the teachers with masters degree only. & it funds this policy.

I will go with E.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have just posted the official answer. I will post the solution soon. But before I do that, I want to see a few more responses with correct answer and explanation. Think little hard about the meaning of the sentence. Read the sentence and focus on the what the author is trying to say. A hint - what are the two things that the organization does?

Disclaimer:
This question probably takes meaning thing further than usual. The choices hardly have any grammatical errors. This was done on purpose to "force" the thought process in the direction of meaning and logic...

Looking forward to some more responses...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Before the meaning issue, A has a modification problem IMHO.
Meaning wise too, I do not think A conveys a logical correlation by equating requirement and funding.
More on this after the OE is out.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

OMG, I found my problem. The subject of "funds" is The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland.

The teachers "fund" mean something illogical. It should let the organization rather than teacher "fund".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
e-GMAT

You are perfectly entitled to hold your views
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.78
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Organization ... 'requires that' ... should be followed by infinitive "to ensure"
so, B,D out.

fund is a verb used for subject Organization so it should be parallel to requires. so it should be 'funds'.

In this sentence main clause ends before 'and'.
"Organization requires that Teachers have master's degree and funds ..."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 508 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Supply Chain, Logistics
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Send PM
Kudos
OECD requires ....... and funds. Make sense. A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Why is "degree" not plural?

"all teachers have degrees...."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
I choose A because I was able to figure out the problems with B, C, D, and E.
Till now, I was of the opinion that a clause in "Subjunctive Mood" could only be made parallel with another clause in "Subjunctive Mood".

I had a wrong concept is another "Take Away" for me. Thanks again e-GMAT!

Is it possible to have some more examples from OG in which this kind of parallel construction have been used?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
tuanquang269 wrote:
Quote:

OMG, I found my problem. The subject of "funds" is The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland.

The teachers "fund" mean something illogical. It should let the organization rather than teacher "fund".

How did you figure out that the subject of funds is OEC and not teachers?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-17-2013
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Quote:
egmat wrote:

Choice C – This choice is also grammatically correct but it changes the intended meaning of the sentence. Per this choice, the organization requires two things from the teachers.
1. Teachers have master’s degree
2. Teachers fund the master’s degree

This is clearly not the intended meaning. Per the intended meaning, the organization requires that teachers have master’s degree and in fact the organization itself funds the same (obviously for the teachers who do not have master’s degree). The organization implements this requirement and funds the education with a single aim – high quality of teaching.

Hi E-Gmat,

Please explain how did you figure out that the Subject of 'Fund' is Organization and not Teachers?

This is a case of ambiguity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
This question is the second practice problem in the 3rd series of Meaning based problem. Correct and best explanation will get a Kudos from us and a free subscription for 1 month to ourOG Verbal 2 solutions for Sentence Correction. OG Verbal 2 solutions contain solutions to all SC questions using e-GMAT 3 step process- amounting to 14 hrs of audio visual content. Currently 60 solutions are uploaded. The set will be completed by the end of the month.

We will provide the official answer in a couple of hrs.

Also Check out 5 strategies that GMAT uses to distort the meaning of the original sentence
5-strategies-that-gmat-uses-to-distort-meaning-124296.html

My explanation is as follows.
Original question.
Structure : <Main clause - <relative clause> and (second verb of main clause) - <relative/subordinate clause >>
Subject of main clause: The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development
Verbs for the subject : requires and funds.
Parallel constructs : Cooperation and Development
requires that all teachers have master’s degree and funds the same to ensure that its ....
The original sentence is correct.
A. degree and funds the same to ensure >>> Correct
B. degree, funds the same, and ensures >>> The series of verbs change the meaning. The meaning of intent that is shown in original sentence is lost .
C. degree and fund the same to ensure >>> SVA error.
D. degree, funds the same, ensuring >>> No conjunction, and meaning changes- meaning of intent is lost.
E. degree, funding the same to ensure >>> verb+ing modifier changes the meaning . This sentence says the funding is a result of the requirement , or that funding is how the requirement is. This is improper meaning.

Kudos if you liked my post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Kudos
This question should read: "The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland requires that all teachers have a master’s degree and funds the same to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching."

It's very important to ensure that even a "practice question's" non-underlined part is 100% free of silly grammar mistakes. Little errors like these can really dissuade a person from signing up full-time, as each and every bit of preparation needs to be of the highest, GMAC-like problems. We all know that's the best way to prepare for the GMAT. Practicing with high quality questions leads to performing at a high level on the GMAT. Just my 2 cents :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Folks, e-Gmat,

I am still not sure why E is incorrect.

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland requires that all teachers have master’s degree, funding the same to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching.

Verb-ing can modify the subject or previous cluase, in this case subject is OECD so funding can modify it i.e provide additional information that OECD will fund the master degree.

Can't I say like this :
I will give you 1 million dollar, helping you to come out of poverty??

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Given Kudos: 616
Schools: Tepper '18
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Quote:
egmat wrote:

Here is the official explanation for this question:

Understand the Meaning of the Original Sentence

The sentence presents two facts about an organization in Finland - Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. This organization does two things with an aim to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching.
1. It requires that all teachers have masters’ degree
2. It funds the same – i.e. it funds the masters’ degree education of teachers.

Find the Errors in the Original Sentence

1. The Organization [/color]for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland requires
a. that all teachers have master’s degree
2. and funds the same to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching.

In this sentence the two verbs – requires and funds – make sense and agree in number with the subject - organization. Per the context of the modifier “to ensure that its teachers…”, it is clear that it provides the purpose of both the actions of the organization. This sentence is correct as is.

Review Answer Choices to do POE

Choice B – This choice no longer provides the purpose of the actions. By changing “to ensure” to “and ensures”, the sentence implies that the organization somehow (probably with some other measures) ensures that its teachers impart high quality of teachers. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

Choice C – This choice is also grammatically correct but it changes the intended meaning of the sentence. Per this choice, the organization requires two things from the teachers.
1. Teachers have master’s degree
2. Teachers fund the master’s degree

This is clearly not the intended meaning. Per the intended meaning, the organization requires that teachers have master’s degree and in fact the organization itself funds the same (obviously for the teachers who do not have master’s degree). The organization implements this requirement and funds the education with a single aim – high quality of teaching.

Choice D – This choice does not use correct punctuation to connect the two verbs – requires and funds.

Choice E – Use of “funding the same…” is incorrect here. Neither of the two interpretations of the verb-ing modifier is correct:
1. Organization requires that teachers have master’s degree – this results in the organization funding the education. –Illogical.
2. Organization requires that teachers have master’s degree by funding the same. - Illogical

TAKE AWAYS

1. Understand the meaning of the original sentence. Note the relationships among each part of the sentence – both from grammatical standpoint and from logical standpoint.
2. Make sure that these relationships are maintained in the correct choice as well.

I am not sure why option E is wrong. Funding the education can very easily be the result of their requirements. I do not see a problem with that part highlighted in red above and why it is illogical. Can you please explain this further.?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
atom wrote:
Folks, e-Gmat,

I am still not sure why E is incorrect.

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Finland requires that all teachers have master’s degree, funding the same to ensure that its teachers impart high quality of teaching.

Verb-ing can modify the subject or previous cluase, in this case subject is OECD so funding can modify it i.e provide additional information that OECD will fund the master degree.

Can't I say like this :
I will give you 1 million dollar, helping you to come out of poverty??

Thanks.

I agree. I understand it makes sense that OECD is that which funds, using a verb-ing modifier retains this stance.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts