Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
IndigoIntentions wrote:
Can anyone tell if Booth makes the Recommenders fill out a form with Multiple choice questions etc before asking to upload the Main Letter? I'm trying to estimate the time my manager needs to fill out the recommendation.

Both of mine wanted me to sit with them as they submitted once they finished writing the letter. They have to fill out their contact information, etc, then there were 8-10 or so questions where they rate you on a scale. It took 10-15 minutes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
sausagenpeppers wrote:
Congrats to all those who were accepted to Booth! It is a great school. I was waitlisted last year and was dinged after interview this year. Luckily, the day before I was admitted to Kellogg and was kind of leaning that way due to fit and my interests.

Especially glad to see OsborneCox break through this year! I always enjoyed reading is posts.

As for the disgruntled poster above. Don't let one person sway your opinion. There is always going to be a vocal minority. I imagine that there are 10 happy Booth alums for every dissatisfied one. Business school will be what you make of it.

Sorry to hear those who got dings. I'm sure be accepted to another great school, but for now I'll attach my pick-me-up song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry4iwzS4Na0

Best of luck in the future,
C

Thanks man! Best of luck to you at Kellogg!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
dalillama wrote:
mbagirl23 wrote:
I did get a little scared about the part saying that they will check on everything tha was in the app including calling HR to check salary and so on. Not that anything I said is not true but I don't feel very confortable that my HR get to know about my MBA project at this time of the year when they are deciding about my bonus...

You can defer the verification until late in the summer if you wish.

Guys, could you help me to find the info about verification process?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
So now that R1 is in the bag, who else is on deck for R2? I see uirabr. Anyone else? I'm slogging my way through the second essay. I have a feeling I will be heavily revising it cause it's ballooning to way over 750 words.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:HBS, Columbia
hey cheetah, didn't you get into kellogg? how/why are you applying r2? isn't kellogg's deposit date before any r2 decisions would be out?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
My fellow waitlisters -

I've created the Booth 2012 waitlist thread. You can access it here -
https://gmatclub.com/forum/booth-2012-calling-all-waitlist-applicants-124767.html

Please post all waitlist related questions, suggestions or rants on the new thread going forward..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
ukulelegal85 wrote:
hey cheetah, didn't you get into kellogg? how/why are you applying r2? isn't kellogg's deposit date before any r2 decisions would be out?

Yep I did get into Kellogg. However, it was the only school I applied to in R1. I don't have a clear first choice and I still really like other schools, Booth being one of them. And yes, Kellogg's deposit date is a couple of weeks prior to R2 decisions being released. If I make it past the mid decision date then I'll either get an extension or put down a deposit and be willing to forfeit it if I choose to go elsewhere.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
In for round 2... would have submitted with all my R1 schools if it wasn't for that damn Powerpoint.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V46
GPA: 3.33
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
in for R2. Working on the essays now.

question for other applicants for R1 or R2. My boss doesnt support my application so i'm going to have to apply without my company's/boss's support for an MBA. I can probably have only one recommender, but not at a very senior level.
how did other people whose bosses didn't support the MBA handle this problem in terms of recommendation from current employers?

cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
You definitely need two recommendations. Try to find clients or people that collaborated with you who liked you. It does not have to be your boss but definitely send in enough STRONG recommendations to support your candidacy.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
ukulelegal85 wrote:

Yep I did get into Kellogg. However, it was the only school I applied to in R1. I don't have a clear first choice and I still really like other schools, Booth being one of them. And yes, Kellogg's deposit date is a couple of weeks prior to R2 decisions being released. If I make it past the mid decision date then I'll either get an extension or put down a deposit and be willing to forfeit it if I choose to go elsewhere.

The other option is to request an extension of the deposit deadline. Not sure how likely they are to grant it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. It could save you some $$.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
This is not my land guys. But I do understand why Booth1styear is bitter about Booth or any other school. Months before landing internship search are the probably the hardest times at b-school.

Second years seem to be more relaxed about job search. Either they know how recruiting works or they figured what they want to do or both. I am sure Booth1styear will rave about Booth one year later.
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All:

I apologize for bringing tardy congratulations to all of the R1 admits (a particular shout out to my good friend osbornecox for making it this year!). You guys have worked really hard and deserve to celebrate a little. For all of those who were waitlisted, take heart that Booth does historically take students off of the waitlist.

I've been absent from the forums quite a lot this year, mostly because I am really busy (in a good way) here at Booth. I just got back from a student club organized trek to Silicon Valley and Seattle to visit tech companies.

It seems like this might be the most stressful time of the first year of business school- finals just wrapped up, but we haven't gotten all of our grades back, the loan funds we got back in September are almost completely gone (we get a new disbursement in the new year), intern applications are due each week, but invitations to interview haven't gone out yet. The money is gone, but the jobs are far out of sight. It's sort of like waiting for bschool decisions, if you quit your job before decisions came out :)

I'm not freaking out though. I've come a long way this quarter. Our career services programming is awesome, particularly because of all of the great support and coaching we get from second years. I've had a ton of opportunities to prepare myself to find a great internship this summer, and I'm confident that I'll get invitations to interview and eventually an internship offer.

I've met a ton of really fabulous people here at Booth this quarter. I can't emphasize enough how wonderful it is to be surrounded by so many great classmates (like dalillama, financier, michmax3, driege- which reminds me, rid82...we need to meet in real life, if we haven't already!). I am excited about classes next quarter mainly because I get to form new study groups with new classmates (although I will miss not seeing my study group peeps from this quarter as often).

Anyway, to booth1styear, if you would like to PM me, I would be happy to grab a beer with you and chat about why you are so unhappy. To the admits, ask lots of questions!! The decision is in your hands now, and it's important to reflect on the reasons that you applied to business school in general and Booth in particular and make sure that you are 100% confident in whatever decision you make.

Happy Holidays Everybody!!

~runnergirl
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V46
GPA: 3.33
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
loosemoose wrote:
in for R2. Working on the essays now.

question for other applicants for R1 or R2. My boss doesnt support my application so i'm going to have to apply without my company's/boss's support for an MBA. I can probably have only one recommender, but not at a very senior level.
how did other people whose bosses didn't support the MBA handle this problem in terms of recommendation from current employers?

cheers

just to clarify, my boss doesn't support me because he doesnt think MBA is useful for me and because he wants me to continue working for him. I have great performance reviews at work and had he been in support, he would have written a great recommendation letter.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
It is not a problem whether your boss supports or not. You just need to go and find other supporters who are not only willing to support you but actually write recommendation letters that count :). Hope that helps! Clients are good sources and are strong indicators of your work performance as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Send PM
loosemoose wrote:

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Just find two people who are supportive of you and confident in your aptitude and leadership capacity.

I couldn't use my supervisor so I had two colleagues write my LORs. One was a senior colleague, the other was not.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, IB, Finance
Schools:Kellogg, Booth
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
booth1styear wrote:

Most Important: Act now. Once Jan starts, 1st years get busy recruiting for internships and 2nd years get busy recruiting for jobs + helping 1st years.

Not that I'm shooting holes in your story or anything, but second years have been done with general recruiting for a while now and the bulk of the recruiting for most internships is over. I'm sure you knew that though.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  56   57   58   59   60  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts