Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Weakenx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [92]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [16]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [3]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [4]
Send PM
Re: Recently a court ruled that current law allows companies to reject [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
B is ok.
seems OG problem. its been long time, actually sice joining the Gmat Club, that i really have not focused on OG problems.

(A) out of scope
(B) make sense. if there is no legall and accepted methods exist to do so, then it ruling doesnot work. it creats problem i detecting 90% chance of heart attack.
(C) irrelavat
(D) Employee's awareness doesnot matter. if there is a method calculating 90% chance of having heart attack, then it doesot hiders the judge's rulling to be effective.
(E) irrelavat and out of scope.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [2]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Recently a court ruled that current law allows companies to reject [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
wunderbar03 wrote:
Recently a court ruled that current law allows companies to reject a job applicant if working in the job would entail a 90 percent chance that the applicant would suffer a heart attack. The presiding judge justified the ruling, saying that it protected both employees and employers.

Reject Job applicant ---------> If there is a 90 percent chance of Heart attack ( working in the Organisation)

This use of his court ruling as part of the law could not be effective in regulating employment practices if which of the following were true?

(A) The best interests of employers often conflict with the interests of employees. - Suggests it is mutually beneficial to both the Employers and Employees.

(B) No legally accepted methods exist for calculating the risk of a job applicant's having a heart attack as a result of being employed in any particular occupation.

If this statement is true the entire reasoning falls apart.

(C) Some jobs might involve health risks other than the risk of heart attack. - Out of Scope.

(D) Employees who have a 90 percent chance of suffering a heart attack may be unaware that their risk is so great. - Irrelevant we are talking about new applicants.

(E) The number of people applying for jobs at a company might decline if the company, by screening applicants for risk of heart attack, seemed to suggest that the job entailed high risk of heart attack. - Irrelevant.

Hence IMHO (B) is undoubtedly the best.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8807 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Recently a court ruled that current law allows companies to reject a job applicant if working in the job would entail a 90 percent chance that the applicant would suffer a heart attack. The presiding judge justified the ruling, saying that it protected both employees and employers.

Type- Weaken
Boil it down - Law that allows companies to reject a job applicant if working in the job would entail 90% chance of heart attack has protected both employees and employers
Pre-thinking - Is there are legally accepted standard to determine the risk

This use of his court ruling as part of the law could not be effective in regulating employment practices if which of the following were true?
(A) The best interests of employers often conflict with the interests of employees. Irrelevant
(B) No legally accepted methods exist for calculating the risk of a job applicant's having a heart attack as a result of being employed in any particular occupation.
Correct - then this law might be used unfairly against job applicants
(C) Some jobs might involve health risks other than the risk of heart attack. Irrelevant
(D) Employees who have a 90 percent chance of suffering a heart attack may be unaware that their risk is so great. Irrelevant
(E) The number of people applying for jobs at a company might decline if the company, by screening applicants for risk of heart attack, seemed to suggest that the job entailed high risk of heart attack. Irrelevant

Answer B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [2]
Given Kudos: 102
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: Q160 V151
GPA: 3.99
WE:Design (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all, Though option B is the right answer with indubitable explanation, I would like to understand why option E is irrelevant. Because for the employer to access whether a job would entail 90% of heart attack, the employer need to screen applicants for heart problem. Without this screening it is not possible for employer to entail the probability of heart attack. This behaviour on part of the employer would lead to drop in number of applications for the job. This works against the court's intension of protecting employers. Isn't it? Please explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 560 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
abhimahna wrote:
balaji4799 wrote:
Hi all, Though option B is the right answer with indubitable explanation, I would like to understand why option E is irrelevant. Because for the employer to access whether a job would entail 90% of heart attack, the employer need to screen applicants for heart problem. Without this screening it is not possible for employer to entail the probability of heart attack. This behaviour on part of the employer would lead to drop in number of applications for the job. This works against the court's intension of protecting employers. Isn't it? Please explain.

E is wrong because of two reasons :

1. It says the number might decline. Notice the word MIGHT. hence, We are not sure whether it will decline.
2. Even if the number of applicants decline it may happen that this time we are going to get applicants which are not at any risk. So, it might actually help employers to get the desired applicant easily. hence, E is wrong.

I think apart from above 2 explanations given by abhimahna , another explanation could be as following:-

Question stem says :- The use of this court ruling as part of the law could not be effective in regulating employment practices if which of the following were true?

Keyword in Question stem is “EFFECTIVE” .

If Employer honestly reveals the heart attack risk involved in job then effectiveness will be achieved in protecting both Employers & Employees. While question stem reads " could not be effective".

Choice B says that if there is no legal method at all to calculate risk then how can one declare or assess risk of heart attack. If one can not assess or detect risk , ruling could not be effective in regulating employment practices.

ChiranjeevSingh :- Please validate my reasoning whether it is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38815 [1]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
wunderbar03 wrote:
(A) The best interests of employers often conflict with the interests of employees.
(C) Some jobs might involve health risks other than the risk of heart attack.
(D) Employees who have a 90 percent chance of suffering a heart attack may be unaware that their risk is so great.
(E) The number of people applying for jobs at a company might decline if the company, by screening applicants for risk of heart attack, seemed to suggest that the job entailed high risk of heart attack.

Premise:
    Court allowed Companies to reject applicant who has a higher chance of getting a heart attack.

Conclusion(from the part of the question):
    Court's decision could not be effective for rejecting applicant

Assumption:
To reject applicant ,higher chance of getting a heart attack is not a useful/effective measure

Answer Choice (B) Strengthened the assumption above .

Correct Answer (B)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
The stem provides some context and a judgement. The factset is that a recent ruling was passed to allow companies to reject applicants who would have a 90% chance of a heart attack if they were to work in the companies' given job.

This fact and ruling assumes that the companies can actually detect these applicants otherwise the ruling is useless.

Therefore, for the ruling to be effective, companies must be able to detect job applicants who would hit the 90% threshold.

A is incorrect because the best interests of employees or employers have nothing to do with the effectiveness of detecting a heart attack.
B is correct because it presents a fatal flaw in the effectiveness. If no accepted method exists for calculating the risk of a person having a heart attack then how can the employers enforce the ruling? They cant. B is correct.

C is not conducive to the effectiveness of the ruling.
D is exactly why the ruling was introduced, but it doesn't help evaluate the effectiveness of the ruling
E is incorrect because the number of applicants isn't relevant to the effectiveness of the ruling
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos