Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1490 [434]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [233]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1720 [21]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [6]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: As the former chair of the planning board for 18 consecutive years and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
neeshpal wrote:
As the former chair of the planning board for 18 consecutive years and a board member for 28 years, Joan Philkill attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications.

(A) As the former
(B) The former
(C) Former
(D) She was
(E) As the

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that in her role serving as the chair of the planning board, over the course of 18 consecutive years and a board member for 28 years, Joan Philkill attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Grammatical Construction

• A comma cannot join two independent clauses; such usage leads to the error of comma splice; to correct this error, the comma must be replaced with a semicolon or comma followed by a conjunction such as "and", "but" etc.

A: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "As the former...28 years"; the inclusion of the adjective "former" illogically implies that Joan Philkill attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications in her role serving as the former chair of the planning board; the intended meaning is that Joan Philkill attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications in her role serving as the active chair of the planning board.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "The former...28 years"; the omission of the word "As" incorrectly implies that Joan Philkill is the former chair of the planning board, and as a separate action attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications; the intended meaning is that Joan Philkill is the former chair of the planning board, and while serving in that role she attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "Former...28 years"; the omission of the word "As" incorrectly implies that Joan Philkill is the former chair of the planning board, and as a separate action attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications; the intended meaning is that Joan Philkill is the former chair of the planning board, and while serving in that role she attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "She was...28 years"; the omission of the word "As" incorrectly implies that Joan Philkill is the former chair of the planning board, and as a separate action attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications; the intended meaning is that Joan Philkill is the former chair of the planning board, and while serving in that role she attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications. Further, Option D incorrectly uses a comma to join the independent clauses "She was...for 28 years" and "Joan Philkill attended...applications"; please remember, a comma cannot join two independent clauses; such usage leads to the error of comma splice; to correct this error, the comma must be replaced with semicolon or comma followed by a conjunction such as "and", "but" etc.

E: This answer choice uses the phrase "As the chair of the planning board...28 years", conveying the intended meaning - that Joan Philkill is the former chair of the planning board, and while serving in that role she attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications. Further, Option E correctly uses a comma to join the independent clause "As the chair...for 28 years" and "Joan Philkill attended...applications".

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Comma Splices" and "Run-ons" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~6 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1720 [9]
Send PM
Re: As the former chair of the planning board for 18 consecutive years and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I did not pick up B because, I think if we use 'The former chair' , the sentence should be :

the former chair of the planning board..and a former board member
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
IMO (E),
The logical meaning of the sentence talks about the past event. "chair of the planning board for 18 consecutive years and a board member for 28 years". "Former" here sounds redundant. What is OA?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Kudos
I actually don't think former is redundant. Former is an adjective here.

Former means that the person is no longer an active chair member.

Without the former, (As the chair) - it gives the meaning that the person is still currently part of the board.

Where did this question come from? argh.

leonidas wrote:
IMO (E),
The logical meaning of the sentence talks about the past event. "chair of the planning board for 18 consecutive years and a board member for 28 years". "Former" here sounds redundant. What is OA?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [12]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
bigfernhead wrote:

Without the former, (As the chair) - it gives the meaning that the person is still currently part of the board.

leonidas wrote:
IMO (E),

Very diff Q.

@BFH,

Why would some one attend meetings as former chair ?

E is my answer
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Kudos
I don't think it's saying that a former chair is currently attending meetings.

This is my interpretation:
When the former is used, the meaning of the sentence is exact:
- The action has taken in the past, and the member is no longer part of the board.

When the former is not used, it gives the 2 meanings, either that:
1. The action has taken in the past, and the member is no longer part of the board nor attends the meetings.
OR
2. the action has taken in the past, BUT can continue into the future, and member is still part of the board.

I don't agree that the intent of the sentence was to infer #2 above, therefore, that's why I thought former was necessary and not redundant.

icandy wrote:
bigfernhead wrote:

leonidas wrote:
IMO (E),

Very diff Q.

@BFH,

Why would some one attend meetings as former chair ?

E is my answer
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
Kudos
Many of you are mentioning the meaning as a primary reason for one choice or another--try to avoid meaning issues until you have first eliminated choices with grammar problems.

Those of you advocating C, take a close look at the comma found later in the sentence. What is it's role? Try to label the words around that comma with their roles (e.g. subject, verb, modifier (type? of what?), etc.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
esledge wrote:
Many of you are mentioning the meaning as a primary reason for one choice or another--try to avoid meaning issues until you have first eliminated choices with grammar problems.

Those of you advocating C, take a close look at the comma found later in the sentence. What is it's role? Try to label the words around that comma with their roles (e.g. subject, verb, modifier (type? of what?), etc.)

Are you trying to say that C would have been correct if the sentence were:
As the former chair of the planning board for 18 consecutive years and a board member for 28 years, Joan Philkill , attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications.

That leaves us with D and i know i have heard such structures as
A eminent physicist and an orator,Mr X has gone to win the nooble prize in 1989.etc
Could this be such a case????
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
Kudos
sasen wrote:
esledge wrote:

Are you trying to say that C would have been correct if the sentence were:
As the former chair of the planning board for 18 consecutive years and a board member for 28 years, Joan Philkill , attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications.

A eminent physicist and an orator,Mr X has gone to win the nooble prize in 1989.etc

By adding that comma after the name Joan Philkill, you seem to have caught my meaning. Without that comma, "J.P. attended...meeting and reviewed...applications" is the main clause of the sentence. That implies that the stuff before the comma in the sentence as written must be a modifier. In turn, that implies that the correct choice uses "as," creating an adverbial modifier. (Jade3--nice catch on this!)

If we were free to add that comma after Joan Philkill, then the name/person would be a noun modifier, and the sentence outside of the commas would be the main clause. In that case, (B) comes close to correct grammar, though I still think the modifiers "for 18 consec years" and "for 28 years" are awkward.

(B)/(C) would require multiple edits to work: The former (move: planning board) chair (cut: for 18 consecutive years) and (cut: a) board member (cut: for 28 years), Joan Philkill, attended more than 400 meetings and reviewed more than 700 rezoning applications.

sasen wrote:

(D) is not exactly like this example, because (D) begins "She was" = Subject Verb, which is not a modifying phrase, but rather an independent clause. "An eminent physicist and an orator" is a noun modifier.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4561 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
As the former chair of the planning board for 18 consecutive years and [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
While Joan P. was the former head, the way the sentence reads makes it sound like she was the former head for 18 years. During this time she served as the head of the committee not the former head. Therefore, you can get rid of A, B, and C. D represents a comma splice so (E) it is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [3]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
First look: modifier, grammatical construction -- How should the former chair be modified?

A. As the former Wrong - incorrect "former" because Joan was the chair for 18 years, not the former chair for 18 years.
B. The former Wrong - Opening modifier changed from clause to appositive phrase, though "former" is incorrect for the same reasoning above.
C. Former Wrong - same as above.
D. She was Wrong - She was..., Joan Philkill is a comma splice; one cannot join two sentences with merely a comma.
E. As the Best choice

IMO E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [3]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Kudos