Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Re: Choke! (Q:44 V:33 - 640) [#permalink]
Hey good luck with the retake. I think you will do much better the second time.

I took the GMAT on Oct 8 and choked on the quant section. I was nervous and made a lot of dumb mistakes. My score was lower than that of any of my practice tests in the previous two months. I went straight home and scheduled a retake for a month later, and went into it feeling much more relaxed.

The score of my retake was 50 points higher than my first try. So, I really do think its about the pressure, my first try felt nothing like a practice test since I was feeling so anxious. Just go in relaxed, and make sure you nail the timing and I'm sure you'll be at 700+ considering your practice scores.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks! I hope so! I don't plan on taking the foot off the pedal between now and next month, so hopefully I can shore up on the concepts I was weak on in both sections to achieve optimal goal. I have no doubt that nerves will not be as much of a factor. I suppose I underestimated the whole 'visit the test center' advice everybody dishes out. Although, I think it was the totality of the experience that through me off, not just the setting etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
jmr71483 wrote:
Thanks! I hope so! I don't plan on taking the foot off the pedal between now and next month, so hopefully I can shore up on the concepts I was weak on in both sections to achieve optimal goal. I have no doubt that nerves will not be as much of a factor. I suppose I underestimated the whole 'visit the test center' advice everybody dishes out. Although, I think it was the totality of the experience that through me off, not just the setting etc.

yeah i think it was the same for me - it was more just the psychological aspect with it being the actual test, and all the pressure I put on myself.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi there,
Your experience sounds a lot like mine. I was testing 690-710 pretty consistently (Quant at 43-48, Verbal 41-42) and then did a major choke on my first exam. Ended up with a 640 (44V :-D 31Q :shock: ).
Yes you read that correctly. Extreme choke.

Now, this is a tricky test, and I truly believe that some days you're going to get a problem set that plays to your strengths and other days you're going to get one that plays to your weaknesses. Looks like both you and I got the short end of the stick on our first go around.

I just retook and ended up with a 740 (44V 48Q).
Going back to the test center was completely different this time around. First of all I had an attitude that said: I've studied enough, I put enough time into this exam, and I'm asking to be better than 90% of people who take it. I sure hope that's true, but I have to be ok if I'm just not better than 90% of the smart kids out there. This was hugely relaxing.

The new attitude combined with some different study techniques made all the difference.

If I'd have gotten a 690 or 700 the first go around I would never have retaken, I was pretty sure that 710 was my max. Now, I'm thrilled a choked... showed me that I could be a 740.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
That's an amazing score and definitely keeps me hopeful and motivated to at least raise my score 40-50 points.

I can relate on the confidence issue. About 2.5 weeks prior to my test, I scored that 730, a score I didn't think I was capable of to be honest, so my confidence was sky high. Then, in those last 2 weeks or so, I let my guard down a bit and got lazy about the studying. I told myself I needed to follow through to exam day (or at least a couple of days before) but, not only was I burned out, but seeing that 730 pop up on that screen gave me a false sense of security. About 3 days before the test, I retook GMAT prep quant only just to sharpen up on official GMAT questions and scored a measly 40. I couldn't believe it as I hadn't scored that low in quant since fairly early in my prep. The easing up of my prep routine, at perhaps the most critical time, coupled with that devastatingly low quant score shook my confidence...at best, it knocked me down a peg or 2 from the high of scoring so high well on those CATs about 2 weeks prior.

All that being said, I know that walking into the same test center for round 2 will have a different feel. I took about 5 days off started up again mid last week, and plan on using the next 3 weeks as efficiently as possible. Picked up advancedMGMAt guide, CR Bible, and going back through MGMAT SC
guide...essentially working the weaknesses where I feel I will get highest ROI.

I appreciate you sharing your story, nice to hear I am not the only one that wilts under pressure :). Here's to hoping I improve even half as much as you!

Also, update: AWA = 5.5...shooting for 6 next time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
for quant MGMAT guides are best.
I increased my score to 50 using MGMAT quant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Any updates? When are you rescheduled?
Ready to kill it? :lol:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Retake is Dec. 28th. (I have apps due the 4th, 5th and 6th to my top 3 choices...awesome!)

Since the last test, I purchased the CR Bible and MGMAT Advanced Quant book. I have also gone back through the MGMAT Number Properties, Equations, and SC guides much more carefully. I will also likely take another quick gander at the geometry book just to make sure triangle and circle properties are second nature, then review all my highlights in the previously mentioned texts. The advanced quant book has been amazing and definitely led to a couple breakthroughs for me...let's see if it helps on test day.

Just for chagrins, I have also gone back through each of the MGMAT Quant sections and have scored 47-49 each time. I would highly reccomend this to everyone...the MGMAT questions are much more intricate and are less susceptilble to memorization than the GMAT Prep questions in my opinion. I skipped the verbal sections because it is far too easy to remember the questions and answers, particularly CR.

I don't plan on taking any more CATs despite my timing issues during that test. I don't think they will do anything but shake my confidence if I score anywhere lower than expected at this point.

About 10 days out - this was about the time where, to be honest, I lost a little focus and slacked in my final weeks rather than following through on my studies to stay sharp. I am not going to let that happen this time, as I have told my self that through next Sunday night, it's all GMAT all the time. I took Monday off and plan on using this weekend to shore up my CR and SC skills and knowledge. I will also do some quants sets just for the excercise.

To answer your question, am I ready to crush it? - We'll see! I feel like I have done all the right things in attacking the areas where I feel I will benefit the most. If I improve those areas in the way I intended, I think the timing piece will fall into place. The experience of that mini freak out will also prove invaluable - I think.

If you never hear from me again, assume the worst. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Remember not to overtire yourself... shouldn't be a sprint to the finish....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
If you are really dedicated, then I would say go through the Jeff Sackmann material for quant, including all 1800 questions. I liked this better than MGMAT. For Verbal, I used Knewton and thought it helped a lot. Honestly, your Quant score needs about 3 or 4 points, which Sackmann will do, but the harder part will be the 5 or 6 points that you need. You just need to put in the time with Knewton and you should be fine. Plus, you can use the 50 point guarantee, so its risk free to some extent. Anyway, hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the advice. I actually wish I would have found out about the Jeff Sackman material sooner, that would have been great prep. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), my test is on Wednesday afternoon so I am pretty much stuck with what I got at this point!

I used Knewton from the very start of my prep...my diagnostic was 570, so I exceeded the 50 point guarantee on my first try. Clearly worth the money - it was a great help.

I honestly believe that with better time management alone I should be able to pick up a point or 2 on verbal...that was my worst verbal performance on any CAT (GMAT Prep or not)...being really rushed on those last 10 questions, then blindly guessing on the last 5-6 just killed me. Granted, part of time management is just being truly prepared with the material. I went back through all the Knewton SC sections, gave the MGMAT SC guide a more thorough look, and bought/read the CR bible.

I took Veritas/CatPrep #3 last night...scored a 44/44 (690)...although on 800 Score converter that breakdown is a 710, so I'm not really sure what to make of it. It was also only 7 wrong on Quant, so something definitely seems off. I got a Q47/V42 (690) (730 800Score breakdown) on Veritas #1 last week. I know the scores from these CATs shouldn't be held as gospel, but if nothing else, it shows that I am at least in the ballpark for picking up a few extra points this time around. Barring another catastrophic meltdown, of course. :o
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
good luck for your retake
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Sounds like you are ready. Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
GPA: 2.4
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
All the best for your exam and do share your retake experience :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Just read through your post. All the best for tomorrow mate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GPA: 3.83
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi all!

This thread is great. I have my test on Jan 2, and I'm a bit nervous after my latest practice test. I got 640 (36Q 41V) and 660 (44Q 36V) on my first 2 MGMAT practice tests. I just took the 3rd one, and scored a 590 (yikes!) Do you recommend taking tests everyday? On the one hand, I feel like I should take all the MGMAT exams. On the other, I feel like it's best to skip a day and recharge my batteries. Any suggestions? Looking to break 700 on Monday :/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
@Garodna
Don't test everyday - it will just wear you down.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts