Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Choke! (Q:44 V:33 - 640) -> OK, I guess! (Q:47 V:35 - 670) [#permalink]
94th percentile? That is AWESOME! I wonder what my 48 is - how did you find out?

I think that's really useful context as demographics do matter to ad comms. (I'm a Midwestern white gal - and a humanities major to boot - so I totally believed that 48 was about as good as I could ever expect)

Again I commend you on your positive attitude! There are so many stories of people who beat themselves up for not scoring better than 98% of test takers and they're usually not giving themselves the credit they deserve.

When/where are you looking to apply?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
https://www.gmac.com/NR/rdonlyres/AC32AD ... s.swf//url

That is the link I used to determine those percentages, it was previously posted on this forum at some point, I'm kind of surprised it doesn't get more discussoion. It is a really useful tool to see how you stack up against your peers, whether by gender, nationality, age group etc. For adjustment to US my %ile is Overall 86%, Quant 94%, Verbal 66% (ouch). I guess you can't put too much stock into it since we all must submit overall %ile breakdown, but at the same time, it's hard to imagine that the adcomms don't consider these factors.

I will be applying to Georgetown, UNC, BU, USC, and Washington-Seattle. First 3 apps go out next week...going to be a long weekend again! All those schools' median GMAT hover around 680, so I've at least stayed relevant in terms of GMAT score. It would have been nice to get a little higher to help offset my undergrade GPA...I think I have a solid profile otherwise (MA in International Relations, dual citizen, international work experience, confident in my essay writing abilities blah blah), so who knows. How about you, how are your apps coming? Looks like you have a few apps to work on yourself...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
I read your entire post like a mystery novel, and I am so happy to hear that you got what you needed. You do seem like a person who is happy and positive. I wish all the luck to you for your future. Nice to read your post.

In my opinion, you already are a winner and have what it takes to be a great leader.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks I appreciate it! I'm glad others were able to enjoy and perhaps learn a couple things from my story. It has definitely helped me just to get it out there; my friends don't want to hear it and I don't blame them! :lol: I've tried to stay positive throughout despite a couple bumps in the road...it's not an easy one. I would LOVE another crack at the test, but it just doesn't make sense with my time contraints. As long as I get into to one of my 5 choice schools, I will be 100% satisfied with score...my end goal isn't finance or consulting, so my GMAT score will not likely come up during employment interviews.

At this point, while everyone always strives for the best scores, I think that anything short of of 700 or 710 probably wouldn't make an incremental difference to strength of my application. I feel like I would probably need another month and half to get there on the verbal alone, as I've found that section to be much more difficult to make strides in, despite being a native speaker. I think it is in part because I don't read enough. :oops:
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations. Happy to hear the GMAT saga is over (and we all need closure).
I think your score is right on par with averages (within 20 points) at your target schools, so you are all set with that.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks BB! So glad it's over, although, I would be lying if there is a part of me that isn't going to miss it. How demented is that? Also, thanks for posting that list...that is a really helpful of way organizing the schools. Hmm...I didn't realize I was -20 at UNC and Georgetown, I thought they were closer 680, wishful thinking I guess, though that doesn't change anything, will still be applying...I guess I will just have to make those essays extra good. And thanks for this amazing site, I seriously doubt business school would even be an option for me if not for this site! Seriously!

Also, I clicked through the quant section of GMAT prep and below is the result. I found conflicting results on various forums, including GMATClub, about whether the test will submit an answer if you fill in the bubble but do not hit "Next", so I tried it out on GMATPrep, and this was the result. It appears it DOES count the answer, assuming the actual GMAT functions exactly the way GMATPrep does. I filled the correct answer for #36 but did not hit next then let the time run down and it accepted it as the corrected answer but just omitted #37 altogether from the review screen. Not sure if that makes me feel better or worse, but it does appear I got all my answers in on time, even if the last one was a blind guess. It's possible that a correct answer, assuming I guessed incorrectly, would not have changed my scaled score anyway. Too bad, I was thinking about adressing this in my optional essays to explain why I didn't get a 48. :o
Attachments

GMAT.jpg
GMAT.jpg [ 61.3 KiB | Viewed 4303 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Although 700+ would have been nice, the 670 should make you very competitive at your target schools. Best of luck in the application process!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
670 is a great score! Congrats!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
So, how go the applications?

(I've got three in, three to finalize this week, first interview this week...)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have two submitted and still working through a couple more this week. I ended up missing the UNC deadline unfortunately..I just couldn't a put quality application together in time and I figure I would be better off submitting in last round rather than submitting a rushed application. Studying for the GMAT last month then having 3 deadlines in 3 days killed me. I've been working to complete it by today and will probably submit it tonight or tomorrow. I'll take studying for the GMAT over these essays any day!

Got one invite so far as well and interviewing on Thursday!

Must be nice to have almost all 3 in, being done with and sending an application off is such a great feeling. Good luck on interview!
Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
jmr71483 wrote:
I have two submitted and still working through a couple more this week. I ended up missing the UNC deadline unfortunately..I just couldn't a put quality application together in time and I figure I would be better off submitting in last round rather than submitting a rushed application. Studying for the GMAT last month then having 3 deadlines in 3 days killed me. I've been working to complete it by today and will probably submit it tonight or tomorrow. I'll take studying for the GMAT over these essays any day!

Got one invite so far as well and interviewing on Thursday!

Must be nice to have almost all 3 in, being done with and sending an application off is such a great feeling. Good luck on interview!

All the best jmr!

Your attitiude is awesome - here's wishing you continue to rock...

Santanu
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Update: I am in the incredibly fortunate position to turn down a generous fellowship offer for my top choice. I thought for sure I would get dinged across the board. I am totally humbled and I could not be happier. Thanks for the all the support everyone. I am certain I would not have had the know-how or motivation to crack 600 without this site.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
jmr71483 wrote:
Update: I am in the incredibly fortunate position to turn down a generous fellowship offer for my top choice. I thought for sure I would get dinged across the board. I am totally humbled and I could not be happier. Thanks for the all the support everyone. I am certain I would not have had the know-how or motivation to crack 600 without this site.

FANTASTIC!!! MANY CONGRATS
Manager
Manager
Send PM
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
jmr71483 wrote:

FANTASTIC!!! MANY CONGRATS

And to you! Quite the impressive string of acceptances. Awesome!

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts