Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Foster (I)
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V24
GPA: 3.74
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Kaplan vs Manhattan GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You can look for some reviews here: gmat-prep-course-class-reviews-ratings-discount-codes-78451.html

I have not taken any of the classes so all of my feedback is really second hand...
Veritas Prep also does offer free/trial classes if you want to give them a shot before committing.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi udvranto,

Thanks for considering Kaplan! I hope you enjoyed our sampel class. I just thought I'd comment on a few of your points.

1. It may seem like Kaplan focuses on tricks, but really, we focus on raising your score in the most efficient way possible. That means that we recommend tricks where tricks will get you the right answer faster and more reliably, and we recommend theory when the math or verbal questions require it. That said, our resources include every theory, formula, and rule that could appear on test day; we just don't emphasize the theories you aren't likely to need.

2. Kaplan wants every student to get the best score they possibly can. The kaplan guarantee lets student retake classes if they aren't satisfied with their scores, even if they are well above the 'average' score. I've had students retake the course with 680s and 690s (and succeed, hitting 700+ the next time around!).

3. I can't comment on MGMAT's class size, but I do know that our class size varies widely from region to region; in New York, our classes often have twenty students, but here in cambridge it's been a good while since I've had a class with more than 10 or 11.

4. I've been in the business for almost 9 years now; I'd say I'm experienced :-)

5. Our class sessions are 50%/50% math and verbal, though we do include the AWA section in our verbal lessons.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about Kaplan's offerings!
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hey udvranto,

I commend you for carefully researching all of your GMAT prep options. It's definitely a huge decision and I'm glad to hear that you're considering Manhattan GMAT. You really hit the nail on the head with your description of the company. The two main advantages of taking a course with Manhattan GMAT over Kaplan or Veritas will be the quality of our Instructors and the quality of our curriculum.

Instructors: We ensure that our Instructors our the best through our unique hiring process. At some companies a 99th percentile GMAT score might be good enough to get hired but at Manhattan GMAT the score along with previous teaching experience is just the base qualification to apply. After a phone interview and online audition, we fly prospective Instructors to New York for in-person auditions. Only the very best get hired--about 3% of total applicants. Every hire must then go through 100+ hours of training before teaching a course. We can attract the best talent because we pay our Instructors $100/hr--2 to 3 times more than some other GMAT prep companies.

Curriculum: Our expert Instructors help develop our comprehensive curriculum. Our Strategy Guides have been out for years and we have continually refined and updated them--something Veritas cannot claim. As you experienced in your trial class, we really focus on the content behind each and every problem type found on the GMAT. While we teach you tips and tricks along the way, our focus is on content mastery and we'll help you tackle even the most advanced problems that other companies ignore. I encourage you to check out our book reviews on Amazon and see what past students have said.

Hopefully I've been able to give you a little more information to help you make your decision. I recommend that you keep asking around and read all the course and curriculum reviews you can. Let us know if you have any more questions and keep me posted on what you decide.

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Send PM
Thanks bb, Eli and Matt! I signed up for the Manhattan GMAT. Looking forward to the upcoming classes.
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Awesome! Best of luck!

Matt Mapplebeck
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Good luck with your course! I'm sorry Kaplan wasn't the best fit for you, but we're still happy to offer any help we can--feel free to visit our blogs and youtube channel if you feel like you need a break from books!

Eli

https://blog.kaplangmat.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/KaplanGMAT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT Date: 05-31-2012
Send PM

Originally posted by morya003 on 03 Jan 2012, 14:51.
Last edited by morya003 on 09 Aug 2012, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Morya,

the 11 Advanced classes you're looking at are designed for people who are already comfortable with the test. These classes will spend less time building up fundamentals like parts of speech and isolating variables, and more time on high-difficulty concepts and complex problems. However, the materials for Advanced and Advantage are essentially the same; everyone gets the same adaptive tests, quiz banks, and optional workshops.

As for classes in the Netherlands, you don't need to worry about that. "Classroom Anywhere" is live online classroom--you'll be taking the course with folks from the United States, China, India, and many other countries. You don't need to worry about any differences between a UK, US, or Netherlands version of the course.

I hope this answers all your questions, but let me know if I left anything out. And thanks for choosing Kaplan!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Just to add to this topic, I took Kaplan's on-site GMAT prep course (not advanced). I started with a diagnostic of 570 and a final score of 710 on test day. I was very happy with the course, and actually supplemented it with a few of the Manhattan Books. I found that covering all the material mutliple times was very useful, and that Kaplan really helped building my strategies, fundamentals, confidence, and had some excellent online material! Plus, the teacher for that class was AWESOME! I also have a couple friends that took the Manhattan Courses and found them to be useful, and both scored 700 and 710. The deciding factor for me to take Kaplan was the test day experience they offered. It allowed me to take CAT tests at the actual Pearson Center, which really built my confidence! You cant put a price on knowing your testing environment and everything that comes along with it. Also, I got to know the test proctor in my previous test day experience exam, and I think she put me at the best cubicle in the house on G-Day! :) Guess we'll never know, but I'll take every advantage I can get!
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Originally posted by morya003 on 05 Jan 2012, 16:14.
Last edited by morya003 on 09 Aug 2012, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi morya,

I'm happy to give you any help you need, but I'm honestly not sure what you're asking! :-)

Eli
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Eli

You are very helpful indeed and thank you very much again for that !
Apologies, if I wasn't clear.

Not something to really post on this forum but if you could convey forward aptly - I am not able to elicit a speedy/prompt response from the Kaplan customer service team in USA on emails and cannot make expensive international calls everyday. ( To make matters worse the Kaplan website keeps showing an error for me )

Once that is sorted, I can clarify my below queries on - the test day experience in Netherlands, New GMat from 2012 and advanced anywhere course - directly with them without further inconvenience to you.

Thank you again.
Best Regards,
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
morya003 wrote:
Hi Eli

You are very helpful indeed and thank you very much again for that !
Apologies, if I wasn't clear.

Not something to really post on this forum but if you could convey forward aptly - I am not able to elicit a speedy/prompt response from the Kaplan customer service team in USA on emails and cannot make expensive international calls everyday. ( To make matters worse the Kaplan website keeps showing an error for me )

Once that is sorted, I can clarify my below queries on - the test day experience in Netherlands, New GMat from 2012 and advanced anywhere course - directly with them without further inconvenience to you.

Thank you again.
Best Regards,

Hi morya,

Please PM me your email address--I'll forward it along personally to someone who will respond to you ASAP to address you concerns in more detail!

Eli
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear GMATLA

Your advice was gr8 . Ta
I am a fan of Kaplan's style of teaching and their strategies are indispensible and hit the nail in the head.
They are straight to the point, very thorough teachers, absolutely no time wasting.
Even in business - you need a strategy to succeed and Kaplan demonstrates this for gmat.
I am also using some MGMAT books to become a bit more thorough. I think they are good too but you need Kaplan voice cover.

Ta and Cheers
GMAT Club Bot