Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: Any good professional editing service out there? [#permalink]
Kudos
lala10 wrote:
maxawei wrote:
I finished my drafting for all essays and also had my friends looked at them already and i got feedbacks on story telling and other stuff... But i know i do need some polishing on grammar and writing. I do have friends who are native English speakers but I hope i can get some professional editing service (with pay of course) mainly for polishing up my writing as well.

I searched online and found a couple, for example the harvard sq essays. But before i throw in a couple of hundred bucks in this, does anyone know of any good professional MBA essays editing services? any recommendations out there? I have totally no clues at this point on which one has better reviews.

I would much appreciate any inputs here. Thank you for your time replying!

Essay Snark does a good job, but I wouldn't use them unless you are thick-skinned and have some time. They tend to rip apart essays (and usually with good reason) but that type of editing may not be for everyone. Inside MBA Admissions is also pretty good. I've had experience with both (strictly for editing purposes). I know some of the other companies (Amerasia for one) are also good but I'm not sure if it'd be easy to get their attention as R2 deadlines are coming up and they are focused on 'full package' candidates. Hope this helps!

Lala10, thank you for your reply. I will look into the ones you recommended.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I’m a native English speaker. I majored in Finance and I need professional help too. I used this service UniEdit. https://www.uni-edit.net/content/view/3/ ... nglish_us/
These are people who have advanced academic English writing skills because they’re academics, people who spent years obtaining those skills, or whatever.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
GPA: 3.72
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
It seems like this thread has not received any new reply for a while. I basically opted out from hiring a big consulting firm, and instead did my own applications with the editing services from various professional writers/companies. And here are reviews.

1. Essayedge.com - A complete waste of money. Their supposedly MBA essay experts generally don't have much experience in editing the MBA essays. They may have some WE in finance, but they are mostly just professional editors who may be good at general writing, but not specifically for the MBA admissions essays. I was so displeased with the service that I filed a complaint, not to ask for a refund, but just to let them know that they suck. I get an email response from a college student who works at their front desk, stating that she has reviewed the edited version and found it to be impressive. I mean… seriously??? A second year local college student is gonna make a decision on the quality of my MBA essays?? I even asked the kid what was the qualification for my editor. She basically ignored my question, and repeated that there was nothing wrong with the editing. If anyone is interested, I'd be willing to send you my original essay and the edited one to show how ridiculous it was.
2. Local university writing center: I happen to live by a top 10 college with a very good writing program. It was FREE! But while the editors were all talented writers (mostly graduate students), they just made my essays stylistically fancier. I felt like their writing styles buried my voice and character as a unique applicant.
3. Gurufi.com: I've only used Brian so far. But man… he is awesome. He not only polished my writing with a style, but also made my voice more clear and easily understandable. He made any further editing or proofreading pointless. His fee was reasonable, and he was also very quick in responding to my msgs. I'd highly recommend Brian. If I end up using any other editor besides Brian, I will update this post with that info as well.
4. Essaysnark: My co-worker who is also applying for MBA used Essaysnark. They usually offer the service per school or as a four school package. He really liked their editing. I took a look at his final essay, and I was pretty impressed too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Any good professional editing service out there? [#permalink]
Kudos

Originally posted by sachin6016 on 03 Oct 2015, 12:37.
Last edited by sachin6016 on 27 Jun 2016, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools: HBS
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach https://www.personalmbacoach.com

I worked with Scott Edinburgh at Personal MBA Coach and I could not have been happier! Scott offers an incredible personal experience that is very hard to find. The fact that you are working with an individual and not a company cannot be emphasized enough. Don't be fooled by the big company name / support services that some larger firms have. At the end of the day you work with one person most of the time so why not work directly with an expert for the same price rather than an employee of a larger firm?

I hired a more well known name and was not satisfied as the support did not feel personalized enough and it died off as it got closer to the deadlines. I then worked with Scott and was floored by the level of support I got. While we only had a short amount of time since I contacted him late, he took the time to get to know me personally and professionally and he was the one coming up with essay topics after just a couple discussions. Scott is quite tough and it works out in the end. In a very short amount of time, we did an entire HBS application and I ultimately got in. (As well as a couple other programs too!)

With Personal MBA Coach, you get a great balance of no BS, direct and brutal feedback while at the same time you have encouraging support throughout the entire process. Whereas with the other more well-known name I felt like I was a number in the process, Scott brainstormed everything with me from start to finish. Scott is a hidden gem in the admissions consulting space and I have sent many friends to him over the years who also had great success!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
chewme85 wrote:
It seems like this thread has not received any new reply for a while. I basically opted out from hiring a big consulting firm, and instead did my own applications with the editing services from various professional writers/companies. And here are reviews.

1. Essayedge - A complete waste of money. Their supposedly MBA essay experts generally don't have much experience in editing the MBA essays. They may have some WE in finance, but they are mostly just professional editors who may be good at general writing, but not specifically for the MBA admissions essays. I was so displeased with the service that I filed a complaint, not to ask for a refund, but just to let them know that they suck. I get an email response from a college student who works at their front desk, stating that she has reviewed the edited version and found it to be impressive. I mean… seriously??? A second year local college student is gonna make a decision on the quality of my MBA essays?? I even asked the kid what was the qualification for my editor. She basically ignored my question, and repeated that there was nothing wrong with the editing. If anyone is interested, I'd be willing to send you my original essay and the edited one to show how ridiculous it was.
2. Local university writing center: I happen to live by a top 10 college with a very good writing program. It was FREE! But while the editors were all talented writers (mostly graduate students), they just made my essays stylistically fancier. I felt like their writing styles buried my voice and character as a unique applicant.
3. Gurufi: I've only used Brian so far. But man… he is awesome. He not only polished my writing with a style, but also made my voice more clear and easily understandable. He made any further editing or proofreading pointless. His fee was reasonable, and he was also very quick in responding to my msgs. I'd highly recommend Brian. If I end up using any other editor besides Brian, I will update this post with that info as well.
4. Essaysnark: My co-worker who is also applying for MBA used Essaysnark. They usually offer the service per school or as a four school package. He really liked their editing. I took a look at his final essay, and I was pretty impressed too.

sachin6016 wrote:
I used two editing services providers for my essays. Stacy Blackman and Brian from Gurufi. I must say Brian simply stands out. He does the job very neatly without loosing the originality of the essay. I would recommend him to anybody..

Thank you chewme85 and sachin6016 for recommending Gurufi and Brian. Brian service is awesome as you mentioned.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
I recently used Brian on Gurufi and he did an excellent job. I am working on my applications to law school and had him edit my personal statement. He was very thorough and edited not only for grammar, but content as well. I liked that he made the changes to the paper instead of sending a list of changes for me to make. He made my paper sound very fluid and elevated the writing to a professional level. I am using him again to edit another law school application essay. He completed the editing in the time he said he would as well. Great experience!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Send PM
I completely agree with the reviews here about Brian. He edited my B-school essays beautifully without leaving out my original tone. He made the flow much better. I would definitely recommend Brian from Gurufi to everyone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Writing on behalf of a friend who is currently engaging with Brian. He has done a fantastic job and helped the essays come out very impressive indeed. Additionally, he has provided valuable inputs on how to structure the essay and what portions to omit or cut down. I will fully and wholeheartedly recommend his services to anyone.

One tip: He might take a little time (understandably so as he does a very thorough job but in case you need faster response, just ping him and remind him and he gets back extremely quickly then)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Get your essays professionally edited by real MBA grads from top B-Schools who have been there done that. Choose your advisor as per your target school and budget. Visit applymba.co to know more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I have used Brian from Gurufi. Brian has done an awesome job with my essays. Edited version looked much better while keeping the originality from my initial version. I would recommend Brian to anyone looking for help with editing their essays or other documents. He is prompt and very easy to work with.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Drop us a line here for a free consultation: https://admissionado.com/free-consultati ... n=mba_blog
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I used Brian from Gurufi and I must say he is one of the best editors! I was very happy with his work, will definitely go back to him in the future.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chewme85 wrote:

1. Essayedge.com - A complete waste of money. Their supposedly MBA essay experts generally don't have much experience in editing the MBA essays. They may have some WE in finance, but they are mostly just professional editors who may be good at general writing, but not specifically for the MBA admissions essays. I was so displeased with the service that I filed a complaint, not to ask for a refund, but just to let them know that they suck. I get an email response from a college student who works at their front desk, stating that she has reviewed the edited version and found it to be impressive. I mean… seriously??? A second year local college student is gonna make a decision on the quality of my MBA essays?? I even asked the kid what was the qualification for my editor. She basically ignored my question, and repeated that there was nothing wrong with the editing. If anyone is interested, I'd be willing to send you my original essay and the edited one to show how ridiculous it was.
3. Gurufi.com: I've only used Brian so far. But man… he is awesome. He not only polished my writing with a style, but also made my voice more clear and easily understandable. He made any further editing or proofreading pointless. His fee was reasonable, and he was also very quick in responding to my msgs. I'd highly recommend Brian. If I end up using any other editor besides Brian, I will update this post with that info as well.

Thanks for your honest feedback. If you need help with editing, proofreading, formatting, take a look at MBA Essay Writing Service.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I wanted to say "THANK YOU" to those recommended Brian at gurufi. He helped me accomplish a sophisticated and well-structured essay with a vivid theme. I will recommend him as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I strongly recommend Brian through Gurufi. I read the previous comments and came to Brian for essays improvements. It turned out that Brian is not only easy to approach but also very professional in writing essays. He slightly changed the structure of essay and used advanced words to make my essays outstanding. What's more, after the first version, I gave some suggestions, and he provided the second version with which I'm very pleased. Overall, he is patient and professional. Nice to work with Brian through Gurufi.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBA IVY -- former Harvard admissions interviewer + Harvard grad. 15 years in the admissions business. Contact me for a free strategy call and consultation!

https://www.MBAIvy.com
(212) 671-0891 (New York, EST)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2