Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [3]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Send PM
Re: How I got 720 (Q51, V36) and why I am going for it again [#permalink]
rjdunn03 wrote:
Hey good luck with your retake. My story is similar to yours. My first attempt was Oct 8. I think my nerves really affected me, because in the Quant section I froze up and was having trouble answering questions that I normally would have been able to solve in 60 seconds. That threw me off and I ended up botching the timing. My score was 730 (45q, 45v).

I went home and immediately scheduled my retake for the for the following month. A number of people said it was silly of me to retake since 730 is a great score, but I felt the score didn't reflect my capabilities. My second attempt was Nov 12. I went in feeling much more relaxed and I nailed the timing. My new score was 780 (49q, 50v).

I hope your second sitting treats you better.

@rjdunn03, I might have already commented on your other thread, let me say it again, 50v, O..M..G!!

any specific tips on what helped you keep your nerves together on the test day?

@unforeseen, thanks. I know your test day is approaching. Keep your cool, you 'll do great. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Great score! I'll be taking the exam on the 18th. Did you find the verbal representative of the manhattan CATs and GMAT prep or were they more difficult? Also, any recommendations for quant study this close to the exam? Good luck on whatever you decide to do!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I would say don't retake, but that's just me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Personally I wouldn't retake. I've heard it said that the difference between a 720 & 750 when applying is not much. Although it might help if you're gunning for scholarship money.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
There is not much difference between 720 and 750, but any higher and the difference becomes significant. 720 is 95%ile and 760 is 99%ile. So from 1 in 20 you become 1 in 100. You have outshined 4 out of 5 candidates in the Top 5%.
Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
There is not much difference between 720 and 750, but any higher and the difference becomes significant. 720 is 95%ile and 760 is 99%ile. So from 1 in 20 you become 1 in 100. You have outshined 4 out of 5 candidates in the Top 5%.

I did retake after a 730 and got a 760. In your case, you clearly felt you were sub par in Verbals, so I think you should definitely go for it. You anyways have 720 as a backup, All the best!

Santanu
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hey congrates for this score
and good luck for the next score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
leadout1 wrote:
Great score! I'll be taking the exam on the 18th. Did you find the verbal representative of the manhattan CATs and GMAT prep or were they more difficult? Also, any recommendations for quant study this close to the exam? Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

I like MGMAT CAT SC problems. However, I had issues with RC/CR questions. Even if I got those questions right, I felt at times that they were not testing similar concepts as problems in OG guide.

That's one of the reasons I didn't do SC 1000 or RC99.

If you have OG12 and the Verbal review that should be more than enough for you to practice your CR and RC. If you have exhausted all OG and VR questions and are looking for what to do to practice some more, do them again and look at why the wrong answers are wrong.

I found the first RC in my test relatively straight forward. Second one was short, but question stems were tough. More like CR questions. Asking me to find assumptions, inferences and parallelism.

Third RC was long and I think had 2-3 questions related to details in the passage. As I mentioned in my debrief, I didn't have time to read the 4th RC.

Initial CR questions were similar in difficulty level as OG and Verbal Review. Later questions slightly difficult as for most assumption/conclusion questions there were two very close answer choices.

For Quant - identify your weak areas. GMATClub Tests were amazing. They told me which areas my preparation is sufficient and which I lack. I didn't do any further questions in the areas that I know I was relatively strong. I feel number properties, inequalities involving mods sometimes stump me. I searched bunch of VeritasKarishma's posts on this forum and read all her explanations very carefully.

If you find a particular area too difficult, doing too many difficult problems may not improve your ability significantly as you will continue to struggle increasing your frustration. Rather look at how to understand the fundamental concepts behind the problem area. For example, I started utilizing RTW/RTD charts as suggested by MGMAT, something I wasn't doing before. I started using number lines to try and figure out tough mod problems and so on.

Reading explanations on this forum will help you train the way other users mind works when they see a certain problem.

Some people do tons of permutation/combination and probability problems. I think I got 2 counting problems and 1 probability. Nothing too hard.

For a moment in the test, I thought I wasn't doing very well. I got a question that was like what is the sum of all numbers between -n and k. Few other problems that I found really simple. Don't try and estimate how you are doing on the test. Just take each problem and solve it as best as you can.

During my GMATPrep tests, almost all my mistakes were DS questions. During the actual test, I made a mental note to Check for B and D as possible answer option to each problem.

In my opinion, GMAT Quant questions are not simple, but all of them test basic fundamental concepts. If your calculation gets too complicated or you are having to borrow knowledge from outside what is tested, then you should realize that perhaps you have misunderstood the problem or your approach to solution is wrong. Either way, its high time to make an educated guess and move on.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@jazzman, @thugly921 and @AbhiJ -

I understand when you suggest not to retake. And, I know in reality it may make no difference. Rather I might be able to package my sob story of non-native speaker in a nice wrapping with this score. :)

But, I am sure you 'll agree that this is one piece of the application package that we have most control over (other than essays, of course). And, if I have already spent more than 2 months fine tuning my base and skills for this test, then what the heck. Another month and $250. Not that, either of them don't carry much value for me, but they are worth it for the personal satisfaction and confidence I may gain going into the application season.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Go for it!

I got a 730 and have somewhat similar story. I recall being on last 12 questions with having 13 minutes left.

At least, you will be at peace with self. That's more important. You can easily bring your verbal to 42 - 43 range and with 50Q, you should be in 760+ range.

I had a rough estimate of timings for Q .i.e. as to what question I should on be at a particular time, but didn't have such a strategy for verbals. This time I will focus on timing and spreading the errors rather than having them concentrated in the end.

Hey, is anyone aware of practice tests for verbals?

I really don't like MGMAT tests as they have horrible answer choices with most of them not-GMAT like.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
:idea: Somehow after reading all the stories of 720-730 scores, I believe the GMAT logic wants you to stop at 720-730 and give up. It helps GMAT prove that it is the best test out there. :)

Don't give up, but do share GMAT tests that you plan to take for improving verbal. I am stuck with many releases that I had postponed to have after my GMAT test and can't research on GMAT till Jan 22nd.

Will take the 3rd retake in Feb.

My journey: 710(q49 v 35) -> 730(q50 v39) (BTW I scored 780 in all tests I took:- 7 in total)

May be, God of verbals: rjdunn can enlighten us here? Dude, is 50v possible? You must be an English genius.

8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Man, I am jealous of your Q51. I badly wanted that.

BTw: I agree with your comment that GMAT quant is more about logic than rigorous calculations. There is no point doing those confusing probability problems. I have just seen too many of them on the forums.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Very nice debrief!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Can absolutely understand your point of view... I am in the same boat as you are..

Scored 720 (Q51 v35) 10 days back... and I am certain I will be giving it again...

I did not have any timing issues on the verbal.. which makes me think I was pathetic, because with the timing issues and guessing around 4-5 in the end you managed a v36 :). But I was completely out of sorts while solving verbal and my stamina definitely let me down. I'm taking a break for about 2 weeks and will gun for it again..

Congrats on your back-up score by the way, and hope you do really well if you decide to retake!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Thanks for the experience! It felt as though I were taking the test. I recall a similar experience when taking the PMP exam years ago.

Now back for more punishment, only this time its the GMAT. I'm too young to retire and too old to live with mom!

MaXBRL
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT test prep, esp. the prep for re-take, is somewhat torturing. You are awesome, scores and your personality!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Send PM
hi congrats :)

can anybody tell me from where to get GMAT prep question dumps
Thanks in advance :(
GMAT Club Bot