Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618784 [13]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: If ‘A’ can complete a task in 3 hours and ‘B’ can complete the same ta [#permalink]
Bookmarks
david01 wrote:
If ‘A’ can complete a task in 3 hours and ‘B’ can complete the same task in 6 hours, how long will it take if both of them work together to complete the task?

This is a problem of Arithmetic, related to work and time. It is a very interesting problem but I am unable to solve it. I am still trying to solve it, I am thinking that it took (3 + 6) / 2 = 4.5, mean of the time taken by the two. But, my answer is wrong.

Please explain the logic.
Thanks

A do 1/3 task in 1 hour
B do 1/6 task in 1 hour

A & B together do 1/3 + 1/6 = 1/2 task in 1 hour.
So they complete task in 2 hours.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: If ‘A’ can complete a task in 3 hours and ‘B’ can complete the same ta [#permalink]
If ‘A’ can complete a task in 3 hours and ‘B’ can complete the same task in 6 hours, how long will it take if both of them work together to complete the task?

A can complete task in 3 hours. In 1 hour A can complete 1/3 of the work.
B can complete task in 6 hours. In 1 hour B can complete 1/6 of the work.

Both together can complete how much work in an hour = 1/3 + 1/6 = 3/6 = 1/2

So 1/2 work can be completed in 1 hour by A and B together.
How much time it takes to complete the work = 2/1 hours = 2 hours.

Hope it is clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
I haven't seen anyone post the formula so I'll go ahead and do it

1/T = 1/A + 1/B + .... 1/N

so if you have N entities which can do the same job in different amounts of time (denoted by A, B, ..., N above), the total amount of time it takes them to do the same tas working together is T.

I think you can solve all similar problems using this formula.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 630 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
david01 wrote:

This is a problem of Arithmetic, related to work and time. It is a very interesting problem but I am unable to solve it. I am still trying to solve it, I am thinking that it took (3 + 6) / 2 = 4.5, mean of the time taken by the two. But, my answer is wrong.

Please explain the logic.

Thanks

Let task be writing 18 pages (multiple of 3 and 6)\

A writes 18/3 = 6 pages an hour
B write 18/6 = 3 pages per hour

Both write 9 pages per hour
So total time required is 18/9=2 hours while working together...

Hope this helps you in solving such problems without working with x, y fractions.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
nickk wrote:
I haven't seen anyone post the formula so I'll go ahead and do it

1/T = 1/A + 1/B + .... 1/N

so if you have N entities which can do the same job in different amounts of time (denoted by A, B, ..., N above), the total amount of time it takes them to do the same tas working together is T.

I think you can solve all similar problems using this formula.

The above is correct and it's good to memorize cases for two and three entities (workers, pumps, ...):

General formula for calculating the time needed for two workers A and B working simultaneously to complete one job:

Given that \(a\) and \(b\) are the respective individual times needed for \(A\) and \(B\) workers (pumps, ...) to complete the job, then time needed for \(A\) and \(B\) working simultaneously to complete the job equals to \(T_{(A&B)}=\frac{a*b}{a+b}\) hours, which is reciprocal of the sum of their respective rates (\(\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{t}\)).

General formula for calculating the time needed for three A, B and C workers working simultaneously to complete one job:

\(T_{(A&B&C)}=\frac{a*b*c}{ab+ac+bc}\) hours.

Also for rate problems it's good to know that:

TIME to complete one job=Reciprocal of rate. eg 6 hours needed to complete one job (time) --> 1/6 of the job done in 1 hour (rate).

Time, rate and job in work problems are in the same relationship as time, speed (rate) and distance.

Time*Rate=Distance
Time*Rate=Job

Hope it helps.

Kudos Bunuel!!

Well, in some cases there are multiple persons doing the same job. e.g 5 men doing a job in 6 hours, while 9 women doing the same job in 6 hours & 10 boys doing the same job in 8 hours.

What's the formula for such cases?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
Hussain15 wrote:
Well, in some cases there are multiple persons doing the same job. e.g 5 men doing a job in 6 hours, while 9 women doing the same job in 6 hours & 10 boys doing the same job in 8 hours.

Even I would be interested to know if there exists a formula for such problems. I am unusually weak in such work-rate problems and I struggle frequently. Any help would be appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
This is a unit rate problem.

RULE:
1. When you are given something like, something takes x hours to complete, then the rate is 1/x
2.When working together, the rates add.

Here, A's rate is 1/3, B's rate is 1/6

So, working together, A + B = 1/3 + 1/6 = 3/6 = 1/2

Now inverse again to find the number of hours (since unit rate) = 2 hours
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: finance and international business
Schools:Columbia university
 Q18  V17 GMAT 2: 320  Q18  V19 GMAT 3: 620  Q42  V33
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
here is the easiest approach.

A can complete 1/3 of the task in one hour, while B can complete 1/6 of the task is one hour. the formula to use is as following to get how much can they both achieve in one hour:

1/3+1/6=1/x

common denominator====>6

2/6+1/6=3/6 after simplification becomes 1/2

so both of them can finish the one half of the task in one hour, and in order to get the number of hours for the whole task just reverse the fraction, which will be 2

hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Though this was posted long ago, the questions raised by Hussain and Siddrat are quite good.I also need Bunuel here. But, my take on Hussain's question is:
if m, w and b represent the times a man, a woman and a boy take in that order. I think we could get the rate for a single person of each category: 1/( No. of worker * Time for all workers)
Thus, the rates for a single person: man=1/(5*6) , woman =1/(9*6), boy=1/(10*8)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
\(\frac{1}{6}+\frac{1}{3}=\frac{1}{x}\)

\(\frac{1}{x}=\frac{1}{2}\)

Answer: time = reciprocal of rate = 2 hours
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
A=1/3
B=1/2
A+B=(1/3)+(1/2)
=3/4
A and B can do in 4 hours=(3/4)×(4/1)=3

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Send PM
siddharthmuzumdar wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:

Even I would be interested to know if there exists a formula for such problems. I am unusually weak in such work-rate problems and I struggle frequently. Any help would be appreciated.

if 1 person takes m hours - > 3 men take m/3 hours
more men -> less time
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Re: If A can complete a task in 3 hours and B can complete the same ta [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If A can complete a task in 3 hours and B can complete the same ta [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts