Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: How to pick a program: (Canada) Rotman, Schulich, Sauder [#permalink]
One more question if you don't mind: I know for a highly ranked program accreditation isn't much of a big deal in business, but Im still very curious as to why Schulich isnt accredited. Do any students have a concern about this at all?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
what makes you say that the workloads and culture are so different between the programs? Have you had the opportunity to talk to people in these programs?
Schulich is very team based which just creates a larger workload. Even though people say it's manageable on here, most of the uses are not current students and don't understand what it's like when 4 MBA students actually get together. It takes A LOT of time. Rotman is less team oriented, but they go right until the end of the semester full-on. We're just going into our exam week today while Rotman has to go right up until the end of April because of the way their semester is structured. The actual workload is somewhat comparable as far as hours go, but it is a preference of whether you like group work or whether you LOVE group work.

Though Schulich may be more social, did you find that commuting made it difficult to participate fully (can't enjoy pub-night fully :p)??
Most people going to Schulich don't live on campus and our weekly bar nights are always downtown. If anything, people who live on campus have less social life because they always have to commute to get to anything fun our class does.

In terms of the opportunity to work overseas (possibly Europe), do you think Schulich has an advantage? I know both schools likely aren't well known, but with Schulichs 'international focus' I would imagine there's more people moving abroad, and might help with contacts, even though the IMBA class is segregated. Then again, UofT as a university is pretty widely respected. I can't seem to find alumni stats on Schulich, though I can for Rotman (one critique about Schulich is they seem to offer less info about their program).
Schulich definitely has a lot of means to get overseas. They have exchange programs with about 70 schools and they have an IMBA program for students who really want that opportunity to only work overseas. UofT has a better brand that York for sure, which is probably a concern because no one outside of the b-school realm gives a hoot which actual MBA program you went to, it is the university's reputation.

I know for a highly ranked program accreditation isn't much of a big deal in business, but Im still very curious as to why Schulich isnt accredited. Do any students have a concern about this at all?
I don't even really know what this means in reality. I heard about it when I was doing my own decision making. No one mentions it at school.

The best piece of advice I can give you is go to the school that makes you feel the most comfortable. I went through the exact same thing as you this time last year and I ended up choosing Schulich because the faculty I spoke with said to choose a program based on what you don't know you're interested in. Schulich has a wide variety of career options to explore that Schulich doesn't, which is a really big selling feature for me. You're not going into an MBA because you know these industries through and through, you're there to learn. Placement, salaries, and all that are great, but the difference between these schools is so minimal as far as reputation goes that you should throw that qualifier out of your decision criteria completely.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks again krussell, this info is helping alot.

I can certainly understand that group work takes alot of time, I generally find it somewhat frustrating, but thats something Ill have to get over either way (more so with Schulich I guess).

Though I would generally prefer Rotman, I think I'll go for Schulich because of the greater diversity in options.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello Derek

I have to choose between Rotman, Schulich, Sauder and Univ of Ottawa. I think I can safely omit Sauder and Ottawa based on their less reputation compared to others. (Although I love Vancouver and Telfer's ROI is great)
My post MBA goal is to do strategy consulting in Healthcare. Between Rotman and Schulich, the decision is little tough. Rotman is more expensive, but I feel it has a stronger focus in healthcare than Schulich(I may be wrong here). But, I think Schulich is much more recognized globally than Rotman.(at-least in India, they have 2 campuses here). I have heard mixed reviews about the quality of students at Schulich, but at the same time I don't want to end up in a place where there is rat race for grades.(Rotman). A tough choice, huh !
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
aasim2k6 wrote:
Hello Derek

I have to choose between Rotman, Schulich, Sauder and Univ of Ottawa. I think I can safely omit Sauder and Ottawa based on their less reputation compared to others. (Although I love Vancouver and Telfer's ROI is great)
My post MBA goal is to do strategy consulting in Healthcare. Between Rotman and Schulich, the decision is little tough. Rotman is more expensive, but I feel it has a stronger focus in healthcare than Schulich(I may be wrong here). But, I think Schulich is much more recognized globally than Rotman.(at-least in India, they have 2 campuses here). I have heard mixed reviews about the quality of students at Schulich, but at the same time I don't want to end up in a place where there is rat race for grades.(Rotman). A tough choice, huh !

I'm no expert (far from it), but I'd have to say that Rotman has a slight edge over Schulich when it comes to international recognition. Schulich has been trying to bridge this gap by diversifying their offerings - there's the normal MBA, the International MBA, and the India MBA. The one point that keeps getting repeated whenever I talk to students/ alum is the location - Schulich is quite far from the city, while Rotman's got a more central location.

Here's a comparison of the placement stats for the Rotman Class of 2009 V/s Schulich Class of 2010:
StatRotman Class of 2009Schulich Class of 2010
Mean Base Salary$85,484$88,716
Median Base Salary76,000$85,200
% Employed within 3 months of graduation83%84%
% Employed in Health Care4%5%
Mean Salary (Health Care)$69,583$77,500

Out of curiosity, what are your reasons for not considering Ivey and Queens?

Here's some links to previous discussions on Rotman V/s Schulich MBA:
rotman-vs-schulich-91065.html
rotman-vs-schulich-27446.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am not sure whether the comparison of placements between 2009 and 2010 is fair, because the economy improved in 2010, resulting in better figures. Considering the ROI, I guess Schulich has a slight advantage. But, then ROI itself is very subjective. Education quality wise, Rotman should stand apart. It would be an interesting debate if we could hear from a Schulich and Rotman student. I heard a lot about the location factor and, indeed, it is important because you face it everyday. However, it can be compensated by living 'on campus' or somewhere near it. Of-course,you won't get to see the city much.(no partying!).
Ivey and Queen's indeed are top ranked. But I needed a 2 year MBA to assimilate the learning because the subjects are rather new to me. Moreover, a quality internship does help in preparing for the real job. Also, a 3 year work permit make the 2 year course an attractive choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM

Originally posted by deadlycat on 18 Dec 2011, 13:24.
Last edited by deadlycat on 11 Feb 2012, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I know that they are increasing the intake because they got a new campus building. But haven't faced any problem yet with the AdCom. Have you applied to Rotman? Since you are in Canada, you can provide more inputs on various education aspects of Rotman, Schulich.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Unfortunately, I'm just an applicant like yourself so I don't know much about the educational aspects of these two schools. They seems comparable from what I can see.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, Can anybody help me with Sauder Business School Rankings and Placements.

I am not able to find much about its placements as I have been able to find about Rotman and Schulich.
Is this school a good one in terms of ROI?

Suggestions are welcome !!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sauder is a decent school and if you're looking to work in the Western Canada then it's the place to go to.

Here's the ROI from Forbe.
https://www.forbes.com/2009/08/03/best-b ... de_11.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I am drawn to Schulich because of the course options available, especially in the arts and media administration.
My goal is to get into media and entertainment industry post mba and its a big career change; I have around 5yrs of W.E in IT industry.

I have few questions for Schulich:
How does the Schulich MBA program help career changers?
Do media companies recruit MBAs and in particular international students from Schulich?
I am planning to apply to Schulich this week for Fall 2012 program, is it too late since Schulich has a rolling admissions?

Lastly, at the risk of being off topic : Any comments about Mcgill's MBA program? ; its Reputation in Canada? ; and job opportunities in Montreal Location? (I understand this will be more of tech jobs)

Thanks!
Ganesh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GRE 1: Q163 V163
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Gandalf,

I'm from Montreal and seriously considered McGill's MBA program.

Here are my two-cents:

McGill University, as a whole, has a very strong global brand -- up there with UofT as one of Canada's top university brands.

The business school, however, lags behind the "Big 4" Canadian b-schools -- both in terms of reputation and quality of program.

=-=-=-=
Canadian "Big-4" B-Schools: Ivey, Queen's, Rotman and Schulich (in alphabetical order so as to avoid the age-old who's the best debate)
=-=-=-=

That said, in 2009, McGill "privatized" their MBA program, closing the loop that allowed Quebec students (in particular) and Canadian students (lesser extent) to pay outrageously low tuition rates. The extra tuition money has allowed the school to attract new professors, renovate their b-school facilities (quite nice), and improve the MBA program as a whole. Since then, McGill has steadily risen in the ranks gradually closing the gap between itself and the other big Canadian b-schools. Schulich had a similar "privatization" in the late 1990s; springboarding the school over the next decade to the top of several rankings (last year's Economist ranking being the crown jewel). Given this parallel, I would not be surprised if McGill's program became much more competitive with the "Big 4" over the next 5-10 years.

In terms of recruitment, McGill is a bit of a mixed-bag. They have very strong placement in Quebec: many good corporate jobs (Bell, Bombardier, CN, Electronic Arts, Pfizer, etc.), some consulting jobs (McKinsey, Deloitte, IBM, Secor, Accenture), and a small selection of IB/PM position (all major Canadian banks have small Montreal IB teams, PSP Investment Management, Caisse de Depot, etc.). The only caveat is that a strong control of the French language is essential to landing a job. Quebec is a french-speaking province, and, even if you will not speak french on a day-to-day basis, you will expected to speak/read/write at a relatively high level. Fair or not, it is what it is.

Outside of Quebec, McGill does have placement in Boston, NYC, and Toronto. It is not unheard-of for students to get offers a BB firms and the M/B/B consultancies. However, you lose the home-field advantage of being a local school. If you're looking for a job in Toronto, you are better-off looking at the Ontario schools -- and so forth with the US schools.

My suggestion: (1) if you speak french, and want to live in Montreal, McGill is really the best option. There is a heavy favoritism for the local schools (especially McGill), and you will have better interview chances than all but the best Canadian/US b-schools. Montreal is also a fantastic city to live in: very high quality of life, with great food, beautiful women, and very affordable rents/housing etc. (2) if you don't speak french, you are better off going to one the Canadian "Big 4" or a US-School. Though landing a job in Montreal without speaking a lick of french is indeed possible, you won't be stacking the cards in your favor.

Food for thought, and hope that this helps you (or anyone else looking at McGill)

-Matty

gandalf007 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am drawn to Schulich because of the course options available, especially in the arts and media administration.
My goal is to get into media and entertainment industry post mba and its a big career change; I have around 5yrs of W.E in IT industry.

I have few questions for Schulich:
How does the Schulich MBA program help career changers?
Do media companies recruit MBAs and in particular international students from Schulich?
I am planning to apply to Schulich this week for Fall 2012 program, is it too late since Schulich has a rolling admissions?

Lastly, at the risk of being off topic : Any comments about Mcgill's MBA program? ; its Reputation in Canada? ; and job opportunities in Montreal Location? (I understand this will be more of tech jobs)

Thanks!
Ganesh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q44 V48
GPA: 3
Send PM
This is definitelly hard. I'm trying to decide whether to go to Rotman or Schulich, but it's tough. It seems like Rotman has a better reputation and the quality of the students is higher. On the other side, I heard it is more competitive. Also, I have received a scholarship for Schulich and none for Rotman...
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
GiovanaBR wrote:
This is definitelly hard. I'm trying to decide whether to go to Rotman or Schulich, but it's tough. It seems like Rotman has a better reputation and the quality of the students is higher. On the other side, I heard it is more competitive. Also, I have received a scholarship for Schulich and none for Rotman...

I have been impressed with Schulich's program and yet also impressed with the design thinking and innovation at Rotman. I think both are strong schools so I don't know that you can make a bad choice. I would continue to speak to students and alums if you are fortunate enough to be able to choose among these two programs.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot