Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Dinged. Got a status update email at 3:22 pm CST.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dinged also got the email at 1:28 PM EST today. Moving on...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Looks like they'r working on WL and Ding piles this week.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
2 months and I still haven't heard a peep about my application. At this point my sense is that they've gone through their interviews, acceptances, waitlists, and rejections for the round 1 applicants who they know for sure how to stack up. For applicants in their grey zone, I think we'll be judged against the Round 2 apps flooding in this weekend, before a decision is made. That's why they probably have that 1 month overlap between Round 2 deadline (jan 15) and Round 1 notification (feb 15). Essentially we've been "deferred" to Round 2. I might be completely off here but logically it seems to make the most sense....I wish these schools would be a bit more open about their application process.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
VKDAD wrote:
2 months and I still haven't heard a peep about my application. At this point my sense is that they've gone through their interviews, acceptances, waitlists, and rejections for the round 1 applicants who they know for sure how to stack up. For applicants in their grey zone, I think we'll be judged against the Round 2 apps flooding in this weekend, before a decision is made. That's why they probably have that 1 month overlap between Round 2 deadline (jan 15) and Round 1 notification (feb 15). Essentially we've been "deferred" to Round 2. I might be completely off here but logically it seems to make the most sense....I wish these schools would be a bit more open about their application process.

I haven't heard anything on my end either, but your theory does make a lot of sense. I applied via consortium, and have only heard of one person who has received any decision, so maybe that may have something to do with the silence on my end as well.

Originally posted by johnnyGMAT2k10 on 13 Jan 2012, 12:02.
Last edited by johnnyGMAT2k10 on 13 Jan 2012, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@VKDAD, that seems to make sense other than the fact that they waitlisted applicants from Round 1 already. Why wouldn't they just wait to look at R2 apps and then make a decision.

Also, a more general question. What happens if you decide to enroll in a school (pay the initial deposit...etc), but are on a waitlist at a better school and get admitted. Is there anything holding you to that initial school, or do you just lose your initial deposit?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.28
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Waitlisted this afternoon. I guess it's better than a ding and I'll take it at this point.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
If you don't mind, when did you application go under review?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
gmatter86 wrote:
@VKDAD, that seems to make sense other than the fact that they waitlisted applicants from Round 1 already. Why wouldn't they just wait to look at R2 apps and then make a decision.

Also, a more general question. What happens if you decide to enroll in a school (pay the initial deposit...etc), but are on a waitlist at a better school and get admitted. Is there anything holding you to that initial school, or do you just lose your initial deposit?

You raise a good point. I'm just trying to make sense of an opaque process. By this point you have to assume the admissions committee has read all the applications at least once right? They've had 2 months already...and Round 1 generally gets far less applications than Round 2. There should be a good reason why a school would wait an extra month before notifying an applicant.

As for your question about enrollment, I think you just lose your deposit. There is nothing legally binding you to attend any school. They'll keep your deposit and move on to the next one on their waitlist :) It may be unethical though. None of us would like it if a program later rescinds an admissions offer they already made.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
VKDAD wrote:
gmatter86 wrote:

You raise a good point. I'm just trying to make sense of an opaque process. By this point you have to assume the admissions committee has read all the applications at least once right? They've had 2 months already...and Round 1 generally gets far less applications than Round 2. There should be a good reason why a school would wait an extra month before notifying an applicant.

As for your question about enrollment, I think you just lose your deposit. There is nothing legally binding you to attend any school. They'll keep your deposit and move on to the next one on their waitlist :) It may be unethical though. None of us would like it if a program later rescinds an admissions offer they already made.

Unless you are applying early decision (which is binding), I don't think it's "unethical" to pay a deposit to one school and ultimately choose to attend another if you get off a waitlist. Sometimes applicants even have to pay a deposit to one school because their top choice has a later notification date. This happens all the time, and schools are aware of it. It's just part of the admissions process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
For essay 3, if one is submitting a presentation, does that qualify for 'written piece' and thus fall under the 500 word limit?

Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q39 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
whirlwind wrote:
For essay 3, if one is submitting a presentation, does that qualify for 'written piece' and thus fall under the 500 word limit?

Any thoughts?

I didn't have time to mail in my presentation on USB (I'm not done yet) so I'll keep it below 600k and upload it as a PDF. I couldn't find much info on this either, but I read a post where someone submitted a written piece with images and it wasn't an issue.

Mine will probably be 5 to 7 slides long, without going over the 500 words.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GPA: 3.41
WE:Brand Management (Retail)
Send PM
I'm in for round 2!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Is there anyone meeting payment problem when submitting application?

When I finished the credit card information and submitted, the web turned to a page with error PG-1501, which cannot submit successfully, but credit card has been charged. How can I successfully submit NYU application if always the error? How about my overcharged money? Will it be returned automatically or I need to apply?

Hope those who met the issue before and dealt with give me some advice... Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
Send PM
In for round 2 and done with applications. Goodbye soul-crushing essays - Hello neurotic waiting.

Good luck everybody
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
dr0xlunltd wrote:
Waitlisted this afternoon. I guess it's better than a ding and I'll take it at this point.

Check out this post to know what you can do to have the best chance to come off the list with an admit in hand.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
In for Round 2 as well!

Best luck to everyone!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  36   
Moderators: